Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 02:19 PM

7,037 posts, read 11,344,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Well I hope your pessimistic take is correct.

Curry played last year like he always does, he did not play out of his head. He is unguardable. You just hope he misses. When he had Klay or KD beside him he did not have to take so many shots. Curry's stats were about the same percentage wise, he just took more shots. He was almost on his career average for shooting percentage and 3 point percentage. Can he do that next year? Of course, why not? He is still in his prime. But if he has to score 34 points a game then he is not getting enough help. Its not the formula for going deep in the post season.

I would not put a depleted Nuggets or Clippers team ahead of the Warriors. If they get their stars back I would put the Clippers ahead but that is up in the air. I don't see Leonard rushing back quickly. Only thing that would change things radically would be if this rumored Simmons trade with GS happens. Wiggins and some of the young talent for him. In theory that would make them better. But they would have 2 starters who can't shoot very well. But excellent defense and passing.

NBA Power Rankings: Post Free Agency

5. Golden State Warriors

We’re bullish on Golden State this year. You can’t ever count out a team featuring two of the game’s most historic shooters. Even with Thompson coming back from injury, his shooting ability shouldn’t be hindered in any way. Golden State is hoping Draymond Green was rejuvenated after playing the role of the defensive captain on this year’s Gold Medal-winning group.

James Wiseman and Jonathan Kuminga are both exceptionally raw. However, they both possess considerable upside. One could envision a scenario in which these two play next to each other. Athletically and length-wise, they represent a massive upgrade over what Golden State’s been trotting out over the last few seasons (particularly in transition).
Volume and availability are the variables most likely to change for Curry. You are correct though, he maintained his normal efficiency even with the increased volume of shots, which is a reason for optimism. Having a player of his caliber always makes your team dangerous.

I'm bearish because so much more than Curry playing at an MVP level has to go right for them to climb up the ladder in the West.

- Draymond becomes more than a "triple single" producer again
- Klay comes back and still scores at a high rate and plays major minutes
- Very young players who have not proven they can contribute at the NBA level suddenly become weapons in the playoffs.

I'll take the teams that can "run it back" with the same cores that were already better than the Warriors last year. We will see though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2021, 07:10 PM

30,205 posts, read 11,859,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Volume and availability are the variables most likely to change for Curry. You are correct though, he maintained his normal efficiency even with the increased volume of shots, which is a reason for optimism. Having a player of his caliber always makes your team dangerous.

I'm bearish because so much more than Curry playing at an MVP level has to go right for them to climb up the ladder in the West.

- Draymond becomes more than a "triple single" producer again
- Klay comes back and still scores at a high rate and plays major minutes
- Very young players who have not proven they can contribute at the NBA level suddenly become weapons in the playoffs.

I'll take the teams that can "run it back" with the same cores that were already better than the Warriors last year. We will see though.
Good points. But you are saying Curry has to be Curry and Klay has to be Klay. And I think Draymond is fine being a roll player. He could have left a long time ago if wanted more than being in their shadows. Curry has to play at that level until Thompson is back on track. As soon as he can start playing enough minutes he takes the pressure of Curry having to do everything. But sure the first 2 or 3 months I expect Curry to put up huge numbers. In his career how often has he had shooting slumps? Its rare for more than one game here or there.

If they play up to where they have in the past championship years they should be the favorites in the west and up there with the Nets. They were the favorites to win it all what 5 years or so in a row? But I think that is asking way too much to expect them to be that good. 2nd or third in the west. 5th or 6th in the league sounds about right. And I mean come playoff time. Without Klay until December they are not that good at all. Even if you look at 2019. If KD was out but Klay and Curry were healthy. They would have beaten Toronto. And that is just 2 years ago. But outside of the Nets, Lakers and Bucks. What team has the most potential to run through the playoffs. It would be GS in my opinion. Perhaps Phoenix. But they got really lucky playing 3 straight series with major injuries on the other team.

Old 09-02-2021, 08:44 PM

7,037 posts, read 11,344,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Good points. But you are saying Curry has to be Curry and Klay has to be Klay. And I think Draymond is fine being a roll player. He could have left a long time ago if wanted more than being in their shadows. Curry has to play at that level until Thompson is back on track. As soon as he can start playing enough minutes he takes the pressure of Curry having to do everything. But sure the first 2 or 3 months I expect Curry to put up huge numbers. In his career how often has he had shooting slumps? Its rare for more than one game here or there.

If they play up to where they have in the past championship years they should be the favorites in the west and up there with the Nets. They were the favorites to win it all what 5 years or so in a row? But I think that is asking way too much to expect them to be that good. 2nd or third in the west. 5th or 6th in the league sounds about right. And I mean come playoff time. Without Klay until December they are not that good at all. Even if you look at 2019. If KD was out but Klay and Curry were healthy. They would have beaten Toronto. And that is just 2 years ago. But outside of the Nets, Lakers and Bucks. What team has the most potential to run through the playoffs. It would be GS in my opinion. Perhaps Phoenix. But they got really lucky playing 3 straight series with major injuries on the other team.
The NBA universe is underwhelmed by the rosters and health status of the West right now. It is more wide open than it has been in years. It should be an exciting year. "Why not Golden State?" is a good question, but I think there are lots of good answers as to "why not." A stronger case be made for other teams, but here is no clear favorite. I agree on that completely.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:42 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,104,149 times
Looks like a NBA all star team. I hope they can all stay healthy.

Old 10-01-2021, 08:49 AM

643 posts, read 355,417 times
^ Not just allstars. They six were almost all national team members. This is a dream team.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:19 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,104,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post
^ Not just allstars. They six were almost all national team members. This is a dream team.
Can they go 82-0? Or at least beat Golden State's record of 73–9?

It will be interesting seeing them play together.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:12 AM

4,674 posts, read 3,873,560 times
It'll be interesting to watch that Lakers group for sure. I'm not sure how healthy they'll be come playoff time to try to get through the Suns/Jazz/Clippers. Every teams going to be excited to play LA in the regular season & will raise their intensity playing them, which I think will increase wear & tear on these older guys. Maybe there'll be a lot of load management. Rondo & Howard averaged 20 or less min a game last season.

What will Lakers starting 5 be?

PG: Westrook
SG: ??
SF: Ariza??
PF: Lebron
C: AD

It's interesting seeing Wesley Matthews stats last season. I read he was upset with the Bucks with his lack of minutes with them (19/20 season) playing as a starter, especially in the playoffs, . . . so he went to the Lakers of all teams where he came off the bench. Looks like he got even less minutes & was much less productive with LA.
https://www.basketball-reference.com...matthwe02.html

Old 10-02-2021, 09:23 AM

14,707 posts, read 14,685,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post
Maybe if this was the year 2010.

Old 10-02-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Can they go 82-0? Or at least beat Golden State's record of 73–9?

It will be interesting seeing them play together.

5 years ago perhaps. Today they will be able to score but what about defense? First preseason game is Lakers vs. Nets.

Old 10-02-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post

What will Lakers starting 5 be?

PG: Westrook
SG: ??
SF: Ariza??
PF: Lebron
C: AD
AD does not want to play center. So that is why they picked up DeAndre Jordan.

PG: Westbrook
SG: Nunn or Monk
SF: LeBron
PF: AD
C: Jordan

But I am not sure who starts matters. The bench will likely be used extensively depending on who is playing well and what team they are playing. They will probably finish games with AD at center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball