Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 07:58 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,366,279 times

Advertisements

In a sport too often miscast as ruled by the superficial and short-term-thinking, Bill Russell projected an image of rough, but fair play on the court, and quiet dignity off. There aren't enough like him, and there never will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 07:07 PM

18,249 posts, read 25,912,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'm not and never have been a fan of the NBA, so I have next to none of any in-depth knowledge of the personalities of the key players over the years. But everybody my age knows Bill Russell. And by that I mean that we've all heard countless media references to him. And, over all these (60+) years, I don't recall ever hearing a single word of serious criticism of him.

That's why I found this commentary not just surprising, but stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPne5Slb8-g

Perhaps I'm surprised only as a result of never having closely followed the game? I don't know.

I've seen and heard lots of other commentary on other topics by Jason Whitlock and I have found him to be very credible....I usually, if not always, resonate with his viewpoints.

My apologies if this is not the appropriate thread in which to raise this question, but I wanted to get the take of those of you who have followed the game more closely over the years. What do you think of Whitlock's remarks about Russell?

Well, there's a little story here. First, a few words on Whitlock.

He wrote for the Kansas City Star in the Sports department. Good writer, shot straight. for years I went to Bronco/Chief games at Arrowhead. I would pick up the KC paper the next day, his columns were always good. Later he has been involved with cable news and reports on sports issues and some political issues. I like the guy, might not agree with everything he says but he doesn't pack pedal on anything controversial. I like that in a media guy.

A couple nights ago I was listening to late night CBS Sports Radio and they touched on a story about Lebron James naming the Mt. Rushmore list of all time NBA greats and Bill Russell's name didn't pop up. And Russell, either through Facebook or Instagram ( I don't mess with that stuff) sent a message to James--"Hey, thank you for leaving me off Mt. Rushmore. Basketball is a team game, it's not for individual honors. I won back to back high school state championships, back to back college championships, an NBA championship in my first year in the league, an NBA championship in my last year in the league. And nine in between. That Mr. James, is etched in stone."

The announcer (sorry but don't remember the name) is suggesting that Lebron James should get on the radio and talk about this but for now, it's apparent that he's not talking.

It kind of looks to me that Whitlock is throwing a line out there waiting for James to bite. And I am glad he is too!

Just my two cents. And if truth be told, I'm wondering if Russell and James had some other issues, Like the time that Lebron proclaimed himself to be the greatest player of all time. That was when he led Cleveland to the NBA championship six years ago, and still maintains that he is the best basketball player in the world.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-05-2022 at 07:36 PM..

Old 08-05-2022, 08:00 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,748,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Well, there's a little story here. First, a few words on Whitlock.

He wrote for the Kansas City Star in the Sports department. Good writer, shot straight. Later he has been involved with cable news and reports on sports issues and some political issues. I like the guy, might not agree with everything he says but he doesn't pack pedal on anything controversial. I like that in a media guy.

A couple nights ago I was listening to late night CBS Sports Radio and they touched on a story about Lebron James naming the Mt. Rushmore list of all time NBA greats and Bill Russell's name didn't pop up. and Russell, either through Facebook or Instagram ( I don't mess with that stuff) sent a message to James--"Hey, thank you for leaving me off Mt. Rushmore. Basketball is a team game, it's not for individual honors. I won back to back high school state championships, back to back college championships, an NBA championship in my first year in the league, an NBA championship in my last year in the league. And nine in between. that Mr. James, is etched in stone."

The announcer (sorry but don't remember the name) is suggesting that Lebron James should get on the radio and talk about this but for now, it's apparent that he's not talking.

It kind of looks to me that Whitlock is throwing a line out there waiting for James to bite. And I am glad he is too!

Just my two cents. And if truth be told, I'm wondering if Russell and James had some other issues, Like the time that he proclaimed himself to be the greatest player of all time. That was when he led Cleveland to the NBA championship six years ago, and still maintains that he is the best basketball player in the world.
Yeah, there's lots of room for conjecture about what went on between James and Russell in the past....and no doubt other writers have offered their takes as well.

But Whitlock is more direct than that....with bluntly critical remarks about Russell himself. "Bill Russell is a very mean-spirited individual"...."Bill Russell treated people really really poorly"...."Bill Russell - not a great guy"

That's what I found stunning. Very rarely do you hear comments like that soon after someone's passing, even if they are true. Few - very few - would make comments like that.......unless they were very, very true.

Honestly, the depth of my knowledge of Bill Russell was of his great record....and his laugh. I'll never forget that laugh, which made quite an impression on me. But never, in 60+ years, did I ever hear the likes of what we hear in that clip.

I just don't know what to make of it. Not that it really matters a whole lot at this point....except maybe to aid with appraisal of Whitlock's future commentary. Mainly just thinkin' out loud.

I'm glad you chimed in. 'Hope that knee is back to 100% these days.

Old 08-06-2022, 11:07 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,748,611 times
I just got back from the grocery store and was flipping through my radio presets in the car on the way home. Got to KNBR, the local sports-talk station and there was a guy making the case for Bill Russell as the greatest ever....and WOW!

I don't know who he was - don't think I had ever heard him before - but he went on and on and on with accomplishments and comparisons in great detail that absolutely dwarfed all other players in the history of the game. Guys like Jabbar, Chamberlin, James absolutely left in the dust statistically. And the gist I got from him was that Russell was almost a one-man show with the Celtics. They had done very little before he came and did relatively little after his years.

Anyway, assuming the accuracy of his reporting, no one could listen at length and not be convinced. Add to that the clips of the jovial personality seen on-air back in the day and that oh-so-memorable laugh and it makes Whitlock's commentary even more surprising.

Then again, we know from experience that there is much more beneath the surface than we see of most public figures. Strange twist to this story that will lead me to greater scrutiny of what we hear from Whitlock going forward.

Old 08-06-2022, 04:03 PM

18,249 posts, read 25,912,075 times
to understand Jason's comments about treating people poorly you would absolutely have to look at the ESPN Sports Century bio on Russell which I mentioned a few posts ago. Here's a couple examples.

Elvin Hayes--"He wasn't friendly with the media, he only gave short answers, if he got a stupid question he wouldn't respond to it at all."
Boston Reporter-"now that your the coach will you be a little bit more media conscious? Russell--"No.'
John Thompson--He didn't mind the questions from the media so long as they weren't simple or stupid.
MLB HOFer frank Robinson--He wasn't overly friendly even in school. And Russell was blunt, always saying "take me as I am or don't take me at all."

I get Robbie's comments. I'm 6 ft. 7 in., continually getting smart remarks from being tall got old quick. But that's what kids do.

In the first few minutes of the bio when his family were in Monroe, Louisiana he remembered that KKK mob marching down the street. his dad said, "we are not leaving. They are just going to have to kill us."

Russell said there was a quota as to how many blacks were allowed and also said the NBA was purposely dragging heir feet regarding hiring black referees.

Tommy Heinson--He was not appreciated Here in Boston. In fact, in one of the all-star games played in Boston Heinson and a couple other players overheard the reporters saying that even though Russell was the best man on the court that day that the reporters decided to give the game MVP award to Jerry Lucas instead because of the reporters issues with Russell.

Another thing to keep in mind here. Red Auerbach always was in Bill's corner--always. Auerbach knew about how Russell was treated. He was aware of the racial insults thrown at Russell, not at K.C. Jones or Tom 'Satch' Sanders. He knew about insults too. Auerbach was Jewish. A good source to find about their relationship is the book "Red and Me." That was penned by Russell several years ago.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:50 AM

6 posts, read 2,154 times
Rip

Old 08-08-2022, 09:05 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,458,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
to understand Jason's comments about treating people poorly you would absolutely have to look at the ESPN Sports Century bio on Russell which I mentioned a few posts ago. Here's a couple examples.

Elvin Hayes--"He wasn't friendly with the media, he only gave short answers, if he got a stupid question he wouldn't respond to it at all."
Boston Reporter-"now that your the coach will you be a little bit more media conscious? Russell--"No.'
John Thompson--He didn't mind the questions from the media so long as they weren't simple or stupid.
MLB HOFer frank Robinson--He wasn't overly friendly even in school. And Russell was blunt, always saying "take me as I am or don't take me at all."

I get Robbie's comments. I'm 6 ft. 7 in., continually getting smart remarks from being tall got old quick. But that's what kids do.

In the first few minutes of the bio when his family were in Monroe, Louisiana he remembered that KKK mob marching down the street. his dad said, "we are not leaving. They are just going to have to kill us."

Russell said there was a quota as to how many blacks were allowed and also said the NBA was purposely dragging heir feet regarding hiring black referees.

Tommy Heinson--He was not appreciated Here in Boston. In fact, in one of the all-star games played in Boston Heinson and a couple other players overheard the reporters saying that even though Russell was the best man on the court that day that the reporters decided to give the game MVP award to Jerry Lucas instead because of the reporters issues with Russell.

Another thing to keep in mind here. Red Auerbach always was in Bill's corner--always. Auerbach knew about how Russell was treated. He was aware of the racial insults thrown at Russell, not at K.C. Jones or Tom 'Satch' Sanders. He knew about insults too. Auerbach was Jewish. A good source to find about their relationship is the book "Red and Me." That was penned by Russell several years ago.
Yeah and dont forget that his home in Boston was broken into and racist insults smeared all over. I think fairly or unfairly, the city of Boston has paid for that ever since. It's only in the last decade or two that the perception of Boston being racially hostile towards black players has finally started to die down. I remember when Boston had pretty much a zero shot at attracting the elite black players to come to Boston. That only changed when KG came over, and now we have the current team that seems to have a great relationship with the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball