Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 08:46 PM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Thunder rookie Chet Holmgren (foot) to miss entire 2022-23 season

I like the kid. Quite a talent with his size. But here we go. I was saying going into the draft that teams took a big risk drafting him. Just seems his body is not built to withstand the NBA. And he gets hurt guarding LeBron James. Hopefully he comes back strong next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 06:29 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,347,763 times
I have to echo your comments. Damn shame. Hopefully he can bounce back next year like Blake Griffin did when he sat out his first year.

Old 08-26-2022, 07:31 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
I've often wondered why the NBA continues to allow its players to participate in these games. Yes, I know they are popular and in some cases like Rucker park have a lot of history, but these are multimillion dollar investments that can swing the trajectory of franchises for over a decade. You would think the NBA teams would be trying to protect these investments. The only exception I would make would be if playing for your country in the Olympics or World championships. But all these other games have to go.

Old 08-26-2022, 09:17 AM

I have to agree these small games are very risky. It does give a young player like him some experience getting ready for the NBA season. LeBron seems like he is all over the place playing in these types of games.

If you look at the video of Chet's injury he was just back peddling I don't think LeBron stepped on his foot or anything. If that is the case Chet is very fragile. Kind of like Bol Bol. Or Sam Bowie.

I hope not. I think he has a shot at being an all star level player if he can be healthy. OKC has so many high draft picks. If a few don't work out they will still probably have several all stars on their roster in a few years.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:15 AM

1,097 posts, read 445,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I've often wondered why the NBA continues to allow its players to participate in these games. Yes, I know they are popular and in some cases like Rucker park have a lot of history, but these are multimillion dollar investments that can swing the trajectory of franchises for over a decade. You would think the NBA teams would be trying to protect these investments. The only exception I would make would be if playing for your country in the Olympics or World championships. But all these other games have to go.

They should have at least played in climate pledge arena, lebron and other nba players was there, I'm sure it would have been sold out. Playing at the small gym really wasted resources.

I'm sure after this many teams will put in clauses in contracts to limit players from playing in the summer. One wrong twist and it will cost a team millions in lost revenue plus paying a player to sit while injured, plus paying more money to get a player to replace that player for the season.

Yes, chet is really small framed. Even if he adds muscle his frame is too small. It's like Corey brewer, Zhou qi, Shaun Livingston, etc. It really looks like his leg bones are so tiny that it's weak and it could snap with a wrong landing.

Old 08-28-2022, 01:32 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Foot injuries in big guys are not a great sign. I hope Chet is Big Z and not Yao Ming....

Old 08-28-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
They should have at least played in climate pledge arena, lebron and other nba players was there, I'm sure it would have been sold out. Playing at the small gym really wasted resources.

I'm sure after this many teams will put in clauses in contracts to limit players from playing in the summer. One wrong twist and it will cost a team millions in lost revenue plus paying a player to sit while injured, plus paying more money to get a player to replace that player for the season.

Yes, chet is really small framed. Even if he adds muscle his frame is too small. It's like Corey brewer, Zhou qi, Shaun Livingston, etc. It really looks like his leg bones are so tiny that it's weak and it could snap with a wrong landing.

Even if he missed this game or others like it. And I agree its best to avoid meaningless games. With his body type this was inevitable. Its when not if.

Old 08-28-2022, 07:16 PM

1,097 posts, read 445,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Even if he missed this game or others like it. And I agree its best to avoid meaningless games. With his body type this was inevitable. Its when not if.
Remember tj Ford? Very talented but his size was a major issue and injuries derailed his career. Dude had a small frame on top of being short.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:15 PM

490 posts, read 324,950 times
I was curious if a guy that skinny could be an impact player in the league, but I guess we'll have to wait another year to see. I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Sam Bowie.

At least he won't have to guard anyone like Shaq in this era.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Remember tj Ford? Very talented but his size was a major issue and injuries derailed his career. Dude had a small frame on top of being short.
I remember him a little. Reading Wikipedia he was the next great passer. But injuries limited his impact.

He was the 8th pick. Darko was #2. That was a bad selection. Detroit could have picked Carmelo, Bosh or Wade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball