Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 03:52 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There were some who believed Irving would be on his best behavior this season being a contract year. Now that is blown up. Could he be suspended by the league?

The league really has an image problem. Players can punch another in the face and the league does nothing or promote anti-holocaust stuff and that is ok too.

And between the teams and the league this fall only the Celtics did step up and do the right thing. And they are being rewarded by their coach being hired by a division rival? Either the league should step in and suspend him for the season or the Celtics should reinstate him.
Yep, I was one of those who thought that surely, Kyrie would be on his best behavior since he wants a max deal. He's 30 this year so this would probably be his last best chance to get one. Absolutely unbelievable that he would screw that up...then again, I thought it was unbelievable that Udoka would screw up his situation too...literally.

For the Celts, I would think there would be some sort of compensatory draft pick or something if the Nets do hire Udoka. I do believe that there's no way back to coaching the Celts for him anyway given what happened. The Celts keep the moral high ground and positive PR by letting him go, besides it doesnt look like the team has missed a beat with the new coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 07:10 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yep, I was one of those who thought that surely, Kyrie would be on his best behavior since he wants a max deal. He's 30 this year so this would probably be his last best chance to get one. Absolutely unbelievable that he would screw that up...then again, I thought it was unbelievable that Udoka would screw up his situation too...literally.

For the Celts, I would think there would be some sort of compensatory draft pick or something if the Nets do hire Udoka. I do believe that there's no way back to coaching the Celts for him anyway given what happened. The Celts keep the moral high ground and positive PR by letting him go, besides it doesnt look like the team has missed a beat with the new coach.
Kyrie is impossible to predict. He was playing very well even though the team was playing poorly. If I was running the Nets I would trade Kyrie, trade Simmons. Get what you can back and move on from these sorts of individuals. Then next year get some better people around KD and try to keep him there. The Nets had by far their best game. They won by 44. Interesting it came with Kyrie and Simmons both out.

It is possible that Kyrie screwed up the Nets plan to hire Udoka. How do they bring him in with what is swirling around the Nets now? I mentioned in another thread. Might as well sign Miles Bridges. If it all about trying to win at all costs.

With Udoka. I thought he was suspended? So he would still be under contract? I don't get how Boston cannot just say no, he is still under contract. I have not heard anyone address this.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 11-04-2022 at 07:47 PM..

Old 11-07-2022, 10:40 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Nash should be hired ASAP by Rockets as assistant coach to teach the team how to pass.

Old 11-09-2022, 11:15 AM

3,969 posts, read 2,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Kyrie is impossible to predict. He was playing very well even though the team was playing poorly. If I was running the Nets I would trade Kyrie, trade Simmons. Get what you can back and move on from these sorts of individuals. Then next year get some better people around KD and try to keep him there. The Nets had by far their best game. They won by 44. Interesting it came with Kyrie and Simmons both out.

It is possible that Kyrie screwed up the Nets plan to hire Udoka. How do they bring him in with what is swirling around the Nets now? I mentioned in another thread. Might as well sign Miles Bridges. If it all about trying to win at all costs.

With Udoka. I thought he was suspended? So he would still be under contract? I don't get how Boston cannot just say no, he is still under contract. I have not heard anyone address this.
I guess the Nets brass heard the chorus.

https://sports.yahoo.com/brooklyn-ne...zmoI3_GMbXC_ol

"The Brooklyn Nets pivoted amid reports that they intended to hire suspended Boston Celtics head coach Ime Udoka, instead lifting the interim tag from Jacque Vaughn's title as their replacement for Steve Nash. Vaughn's deal runs through the 2023-24 season, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowksi. The Nets and Nash "agreed to part ways" on Nov. 1, following a 2-6 start to the season, when the team tabbed Vaughn as acting head coach. Not an hour passed before multiple reports indicated the Nets would hire Udoka, Nash's former assistant, who led the Celtics to the NBA Finals in his debut as a head coach. Brooklyn came under heavy criticism for so quickly turning its attention to Udoka, who was six weeks removed from a season-long suspension for multiple violations of Boston's code of conduct, including allegations of "unwanted comments" and "crude language" towards a subordinate with whom he had an improper intimate relationship. Boston brass, by all accounts, was willing to let Udoka leave for Brooklyn. Celtics players, meanwhile, were as confused as the rest of the league. "Obviously, we wish he was here," Marcus Smart told The Boston Globe of Udoka last week. "We have no control over that. It definitely sucks. I guess it was deemed that whatever happened was enough for him not to be the coach here, but I guess not enough for him [not] to be a coach anywhere else, obviously."

Old 11-09-2022, 11:56 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I guess the Nets brass heard the chorus.

https://sports.yahoo.com/brooklyn-ne...zmoI3_GMbXC_ol

"The Brooklyn Nets pivoted amid reports that they intended to hire suspended Boston Celtics head coach Ime Udoka, instead lifting the interim tag from Jacque Vaughn's title as their replacement for Steve Nash. Vaughn's deal runs through the 2023-24 season, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowksi. The Nets and Nash "agreed to part ways" on Nov. 1, following a 2-6 start to the season, when the team tabbed Vaughn as acting head coach. Not an hour passed before multiple reports indicated the Nets would hire Udoka, Nash's former assistant, who led the Celtics to the NBA Finals in his debut as a head coach. Brooklyn came under heavy criticism for so quickly turning its attention to Udoka, who was six weeks removed from a season-long suspension for multiple violations of Boston's code of conduct, including allegations of "unwanted comments" and "crude language" towards a subordinate with whom he had an improper intimate relationship. Boston brass, by all accounts, was willing to let Udoka leave for Brooklyn. Celtics players, meanwhile, were as confused as the rest of the league. "Obviously, we wish he was here," Marcus Smart told The Boston Globe of Udoka last week. "We have no control over that. It definitely sucks. I guess it was deemed that whatever happened was enough for him not to be the coach here, but I guess not enough for him [not] to be a coach anywhere else, obviously."

Its odd because Joe Tsai seemed worried about the optics with Kyrie and his book promotion but Udoka was somehow acceptable.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:04 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Adam Silver just met with Kyrie yesterday. While he was in Brooklyn he probably said “Hey Nets, by the way, don’t even think about hiring Ime. Leave that guy on suspension for a good year. I’ve got enough NBA bad PR to deal with right now. “

Old 11-09-2022, 04:00 PM

813 posts, read 402,848 times
Vaughn was an assistant with the Nets for 7 years, yet they hired Nash with absolutely no coaching experience at any level. Nets' management is certainly dysfunctional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball