Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 12:13 AM

1,130 posts, read 467,624 times

Advertisements

Houston lost kevin porter jr's decent talent, and they are winning. Shengun is a all star this year and thats it for the team. I dont think they will win it all but its quite a turn around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2023, 04:28 AM

30,271 posts, read 11,905,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
Houston lost kevin porter jr's decent talent, and they are winning. Shengun is a all star this year and thats it for the team. I dont think they will win it all but its quite a turn around.
Lets give it some time. Utah started out pretty good last year also. Started 10-3. Ended 37-45. Means 27-42 after their surprise start.

One side note. Houston has played 7 home games and only 2 road games. They are 0-2 on the road. Their winning streak was all home games. 7 of their next 9 are on the road. And its brutal. Lets see how they look after their next 9 games. I really doubt they match Utah's 10-3 start.

Old 11-14-2023, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lets give it some time. Utah started out pretty good last year also. Started 10-3. Ended 37-45. Means 27-42 after their surprise start.

One side note. Houston has played 7 home games and only 2 road games. They are 0-2 on the road. Their winning streak was all home games. 7 of their next 9 are on the road. And its brutal. Lets see how they look after their next 9 games. I really doubt they match Utah's 10-3 start.
Coaching probably had something to do with it. If not, championship teams can just pay peanuts to the worst nba coach and spend the money on players instead.

I wonder how big of a difference a coach makes. Kpj will not have a job in the nba anymore after getting out of jail, but he can easily go overseas and be michael jordan and make millions.

Old 11-14-2023, 05:02 AM

30,271 posts, read 11,905,785 times
Quote:
Coaching probably had something to do with it. If not, championship teams can just pay peanuts to the worst nba coach and spend the money on players instead.

I wonder how big of a difference a coach makes. Kpj will not have a job in the nba anymore after getting out of jail, but he can easily go overseas and be michael jordan and make millions.
I think coaching does make a difference. Also adding Brooks and Van Vleet also helps. All the negative stuff about Brooks being a dirty player. But watching him this season. Udoka seems to have gotten the right mix out of him. Young teams need veteran leadership. The Spurs lack that. OKC does also.

Last years team with last years coach would not have won 6 straight. I believe that. But like I said they will have a tough 9 games coming up. They are going to lose some games. Its how they react to that, that will tell the tale of their season. And having veterans will help.

Old 11-14-2023, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I think coaching does make a difference. Also adding Brooks and Van Vleet also helps. All the negative stuff about Brooks being a dirty player. But watching him this season. Udoka seems to have gotten the right mix out of him. Young teams need veteran leadership. The Spurs lack that. OKC does also.

Last years team with last years coach would not have won 6 straight. I believe that. But like I said they will have a tough 9 games coming up. They are going to lose some games. Its how they react to that, that will tell the tale of their season. And having veterans will help.
Boston might regret not re signing udoka after the 1 year suspension if he turns the rockets into a playoff team this year. Shengun, porter, green could have been the future. Green and porter have some all star chances, shengun is already there. This trio has more size than golden states trio. What a waste.

Old 11-14-2023, 05:45 AM

4,059 posts, read 2,401,030 times
Porter? We need to stop talking about him. He is trying to stay out of jail at this point. I agree that they could have been a force with the vets but we'll never know now. You are forgetting Jabari Smith. All-in-all, they still have some nice pieces but they have growing pains before they become a contender.

Old 11-14-2023, 07:34 AM

45,726 posts, read 27,348,625 times
Quote:
Porter was trashola to me. He had talent, but had no clue how to use it to make his teammates better. He was a bad influence on Green IMO.

His character off the court showed up in his play on the court... undisciplined, a hot head at times, out of control.

Sengun is rising, but is not an All-Star at this point. Right now his playing like a bigger version of Luis Scola - which there is nothing wrong with that.

For those that haven't seen Scola - he was one of my favorite Rockets.

Old 11-14-2023, 09:43 AM

10,868 posts, read 4,399,034 times
I was devastated when Brooklyn didn't want Udoka.
Especially when they chose Vaughn....

Old 11-14-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Porter was trashola to me. He had talent, but had no clue how to use it to make his teammates better. He was a bad influence on Green IMO.

His character off the court showed up in his play on the court... undisciplined, a hot head at times, out of control.

Sengun is rising, but is not an All-Star at this point. Right now his playing like a bigger version of Luis Scola - which there is nothing wrong with that.

For those that haven't seen Scola - he was one of my favorite Rockets.

There is a decent chance shengun will he a all star this year. And udoka made brooks decent, he could have maybe controlled porter a bit and have him be a better player. Porter still averaged 19, 5, 5 last year.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:31 PM

7,477 posts, read 4,727,152 times
Sengun is more Jokic than Scola because of his 3.4 assists per game in NBA so far, and that average is going up to 4 by end of this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball