Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:27 AM

661 posts, read 1,248,566 times

Advertisements

I've looked into New Orleans, Houma, and Lake Charles, but not so much Baton Rogue. I don't know why. I knew a guy who said Baton Rouge is a nice place to be, said it's better than New Orleans. I guess this is personal taste. I looked around and saw rentals aren't bad, price wise. The tuition fee for 1 tech college is about $63 which is cheap imo. Is Baton Rogue considered an affordable city? Is there oil work going on there? I think Exxon has a base there. Not sure if the actual drilling happens in Baton Rouge. I guess being a state capital has its perks? All I know is that some states like where I currently live, a state capital city is expensive (Annapolis), which is why I live in the opposite city Baltimore (most populous city in the state). I guess in Louisiana the most populous city would be New Orleans, not the state capital of Baton Rogue?

Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I've looked into New Orleans, Houma, and Lake Charles, but not so much Baton Rogue. I don't know why. I knew a guy who said Baton Rouge is a nice place to be, said it's better than New Orleans. I guess this is personal taste. I looked around and saw rentals aren't bad, price wise. The tuition fee for 1 tech college is about $63 which is cheap imo. Is Baton Rogue considered an affordable city? Is there oil work going on there? I think Exxon has a base there. Not sure if the actual drilling happens in Baton Rouge. I guess being a state capital has its perks? All I know is that some states like where I currently live, a state capital city is expensive (Annapolis), which is why I live in the opposite city Baltimore (most populous city in the state). I guess in Louisiana the most populous city would be New Orleans, not the state capital of Baton Rogue?
I prefer New Orleans, but each have their ups and downs.
Everywhere in the south is considered cheap, except parts of Florida.
There is tons of oil work around the area, and yes Exxon is here and it's huge. The entire system of plants in the region are the 11th largest in the world.
New Orleans is more populated, Baton Rouge is the second, then Lafayette.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:19 AM

Reason why parts of Florida has "posh" areas is because it is a haven for retirees? Is that why? Is has coasts on both sides of the state?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
I've lived all over the place and Baton Rouge has the best tap water I've ever tasted. Note: I think it varies depending on the pipes and facilities used in your area. In Central City its really good. Livingston Parish water wasn't as good but still not bad.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:20 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Florida has the nicest beaches on the Gulf and it's been the getaway spot for New Yorkers and Northeasterners (NE people go to Miami/Atlantic side, Midwest people go to the gulf side). It's just a big tourist mecca and has some mega developed cities.

Baton Rouge is nice. I was born there. It's doesn't have the huge plusses or the huge minuses of New Orleans. It's a good place to live. There are lots of refineries in the area and oil presence. I wouldn't say anywhere in Louisiana is that expensive and unless you are getting a house in the garden district or swanky condo, New Orleans isn't that pricy either.

Lafayette is my favorite part of Louisiana, you have the acadian culture, beautiful homes, good development and a nice mix of all income and cultural folks in LA.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:31 PM

712 posts, read 1,093,275 times
Baton Rouge is definitely an affordable place to live. I like NO better and found BR to be boring outside of LSU football season but there are still stuff to do if you search hard enough. I think the LSU tailgating experience is unrivaled and is definitely one of the best things I love about BR (tailgating for Saints games is fun too, but doesn't come close to LSU). Also, if you like playing sports, BREC has a great, diverse selection of sports programs that you can participate in. I've yet to find a park/rec organization that comes close to BREC up here.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:46 AM

28 posts, read 44,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
I've lived all over the place and Baton Rouge has the best tap water I've ever tasted. Note: I think it varies depending on the pipes and facilities used in your area. In Central City its really good. Livingston Parish water wasn't as good but still not bad.
This is a very interesting comment, and maybe someone can help me understand. I live far South of BR but I've stayed with relatives and many hotels in BR and Livingston Parish. My experience has UNIVERSALLY been that the tap water, at least in EBR Parish and Livingston Parish contains something that feels very slippery in the water; sometimes worse than other days, but always there. It feels like a severe overdose of "softener" in well water (I'm referring to city water, though). I've observed this for many years. Washing hands, dishes or taking a shower, it's TOUGH to tell when the soap is rinsed off. What do they put in the water up there, why(?), and is there any way to get rid of it?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:06 PM

even with water filter it still feel and taste a certain way? I would think all of that gets filtered out?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 PM

there's a central city in BR? I thought there's one in NOLA as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post

Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,342,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
there's a central city in BR? I thought there's one in NOLA as well?
Excuse me, it's just Central, or the City of Central. A suburb of BR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge