Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,869 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Baton Rouge area and I have not decided where to live yet. The traffic may be a factor. I work out of my home but manage people in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and Shreveport and the rest I would be flying to. So, I was wondering what kind of commute I was looking at for early morning travels (6-9am) to these cities from Baton Rouge. I also would like to know what kind of commute it could be to the Baton Rouge airport. I know this depends on exactly where I choose to live....was thinking of Denham Springs i.e. Livingston Parrish or maybe even somewhere in Ascension Parrsh. Any advise would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rez463 View Post
I will be relocating to the Baton Rouge area and I have not decided where to live yet. The traffic may be a factor. I work out of my home but manage people in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and Shreveport and the rest I would be flying to. So, I was wondering what kind of commute I was looking at for early morning travels (6-9am) to these cities from Baton Rouge. I also would like to know what kind of commute it could be to the Baton Rouge airport. I know this depends on exactly where I choose to live....was thinking of Denham Springs i.e. Livingston Parrish or maybe even somewhere in Ascension Parrsh. Any advise would be appreciated.
Traffic is pretty nasty around 7:30-8:30 on the Interstates. Given the areas you manage, I have some thoughts:

(1) Livingston - awful if you have to depend on I-12. Unless you live up north near Watson - there is a road that takes you straight in to the BR airport
(2) Ascension - pretty clogged too, but it'd be advantageous if you wanted to go south to NO in the morning
(3) Or, you could give some "off the beaten track" areas like Brusly, Saint Francisville, and Zachary a look. Those areas would be easier if you had to drive to Shreveport/Lafayette. And Zachary and W. Feliciana Parish (St Francisville) have good schools. West Baton Rouge (Brusly) seem to be OK.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM

768 posts, read 4,387,713 times
If you'll be managing people in Shreveport, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans have you considered living in Lafayette? If you'll be driving as far east as the New Orleans area and as far north as the Shreveport area, Lafayette would be very central for you. I'm in Shreveport, so don't think I'm just trying to sell you on Lafayette... I'd much rather sell you on Shreveport, but I personally think in this situation you might be better suited in Lafayette. But perhaps you've looked into this and Baton Rouge made more sense to you. If not, you just might want to consider Lafayette.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:56 PM

794 posts, read 3,358,790 times
Yeah, where do you intend to work the most? Will you be based out of Baton Rouge?
If you're going to utilize the BTR airport often, i would live in north EBR, Zachary, St. Francisville, even Central. If you're using the NOLA airport more, I'd live in Ascension.
If you're driving and will be in north LA a lot, then I would head west across the basin at least. Lafayette would be more centrally located, plus you have an option to use Hwy 90 to get to NOLA instead of driving through BTR.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:10 AM

87 posts, read 390,827 times
I agree that Lafayette might be your best location...

Again, like the previous posts, it really depends on how much road travel you will be doing and to which areas you will be traveling the most often.

Good Luck!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM

102 posts, read 332,968 times
Since I manage a similar demographic I would have to agree, if you have a choice Lafayette would work better for you. I needed to live in BR to be close to my parents, but if I could have I would have chose Lafayette because its easier to get to Shreveport and Baton Rouge from there. However if you will be going to NOLA the most than Baton Rouge would be better.

I would stay away from anything that required me to travel I-12

Old 02-11-2008, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,730 times
Yeah I agree with the others about Lafayette being your best bet and plus there is a airport there and it's the same size as Baton Rouge airport, I know this because I drive alot for Avis car rental here in Shreveport and those are the main airports we go to. And also your right there at I-49 and you can just take it all the way north right into Shreveport because that's were I-49 ends but it's all up to you. Hope you make a good decision and safe travels.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,510 times
Travel hint: going from BTR north to Shreveport, may I suggest taking La Highway 1 to Alexandria and then getting onto I-49. La 1 is alot easier to deal with than Interstate traffic from BTR to Lafayette and up to Alexandria. I always use it when I go that way. Its a more peaceful scenic route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge