Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 12:16 PM

15 posts, read 36,759 times

Advertisements

Yes, another thread on someone (maybe) moving to Baton Rouge. I got in graduate school at LSU and am weighing my options. Just a few questions:

1) How much can I expect to pay for a decent 1-BR apartment? From the little research I've done I assume (perhaps wrongly) I wouldn't be able to afford anything very close to LSU. Are there any specific areas or complexes any of you would recommend?

2) Is the Baton Rouge public transportation pretty good? Driving every day in Baton Rouge traffic sounds like something I don't want to do if I can help it.

3) Do any parts of the city maintain some element of 'small town' feel? I know I'd be moving to a rather large city, but I've lived in big cities before where the communities still feel somewhat close knit.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 PM

794 posts, read 3,358,422 times
Well, best of luck at LSU. As far as answering your questions:

1. There are cheaper apartments close to LSU, but don't expect to get in those nice new gated communities. For those, you do best getting in a room for 4, then it's usually about $500 or less apiece, plus you have amenities. Otherwise, there are cheaper old places in Tigerland, along Highland, Burbank, Brightside, you name it. The average price is probably near $500, but you lose the amenities. Best places to look would be the Daily Reveille (official LSU paper), The Tiger Weekly, Craig's List or just drive around the area. There are signs aplenty.

2. Public transit is neither reliable or extensive. But LSU contracts CATS on a separate schedule and route plan. The buses are cleaner and safe. The routes around LSU aren't bad, but the schedule is still just a little unreliable although it's not bad at all. LSU runs a few of them on the weekends as well, but not nearly as many or as often. And weekend public transit within BR is pretty much a joke. You'll need the car at some point.
Traffic isn't horrible if you know where to go and what areas to avoid at certain times. You'll learn this as you go.

3.Small town feel... hummm. There are several neighborhoods that have a nice vibe to them. For the longest time, BR felt like a large town. But lately it's starting to feel more like a big city. It just comes with the territory. There are new traditional neighborhood developments going up around the area (mostly suburban) that will cater to the small town feel. There's also places locally like The Venue near the northgates of LSU and Perkins Rowe (but these places are a lot more expensive). Anything around Bocage is good because you literally have everything you need close by, but the traffic is not small townish and you may expect to pay $600+ for that area. You can check the Garden District, although don't expect anything too cheap there. But you'd be close to LSU, City Park, downtown and MidCity. It's not a small town feeling, but a good neighborhood feeling perhaps.

Anyway, best of luck to you. If you have other questions, just post them and we'll all try to help out.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM

15 posts, read 36,759 times
Thanks so much for the prompt reply, Darylwi. The info you've provided is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: