Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 AM

6 posts, read 20,561 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Baton Rouge from Lake Charles in July 2009, and we've started a home search. We've looked at Green Trails, but we're interested in Vineyard Court and Shadows Lake as well. We just don't know too much about those areas. We need to have easy access to I-12, we want a safe, nice neighborhood to raise our family, and we don't want to spend a ton of money. Any info on those 3 subdivisons would be helpful.....and any other subdivisions similar to those would be good, too. The homes in those areas seem to be priced about right, for our budget, anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,756 times
Hi. Have you looked into Woodridge or Briarwood off Airline Highway. The greatest areas for families in BR! Welcome to Baton Rouge. If you have any questions about kid activities, just ask. I have one child who is 5 and there is more stuff for her to do here than I could ever have imagined!

Old 06-16-2008, 03:56 PM

41 posts, read 152,999 times
Have you checked out Shenandoah and the surrounding neighborhoods? We're minutes from I-12, with a very good elementary school and a beautiful middle and high school that are only a few years old. Very close to just about everything. You could stay on this side of town and meet all of your needs. Older, smaller homes go for 150,000 maybe less. Bigger homes say from Woodlake Dr. on sell for 200,000 and more.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:27 AM

6 posts, read 20,561 times
We drove to BR over the weekend, and we still like Green Trails. We think we've found a builder (Jonathan Diez), and we've found a lot we'd be interesting in purchasing. Now everything just has to fall into place. The biggest hurdle has been cleared -- approval from the bank!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:18 AM

9 posts, read 89,900 times
Does anyone know about the schools systems in that area-ages 11,12& 6 for my kids. I have looked in to the Prairieville area and St. Amant. What do you guys think? Does anyone know or have kids that attend either of those schools? Need help please. Thanks!

Old 07-10-2008, 12:52 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpruett View Post
Does anyone know about the schools systems in that area-ages 11,12& 6 for my kids. I have looked in to the Prairieville area and St. Amant. What do you guys think? Does anyone know or have kids that attend either of those schools? Need help please. Thanks!
Personally, I would not make the choice to live in the suburbs simply because they have a better school system than Baton Rouge. I suggest living in the city (or East Baton Rouge Parish at least) and paying for a private school education. That's what we did with my three children and so far it has proven to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. There are I think 5 or 6 major high schools in the area that I can think of right off the back, and many more private elementary schools that I could never tally up with my pitiful memory. Good luck and best wishes to you.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:09 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Personally, I would not make the choice to live in the suburbs simply because they have a better school system than Baton Rouge. I suggest living in the city (or East Baton Rouge Parish at least) and paying for a private school education. That's what we did with my three children and so far it has proven to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. There are I think 5 or 6 major high schools in the area that I can think of right off the back, and many more private elementary schools that I could never tally up with my pitiful memory. Good luck and best wishes to you.
If you can afford provate schools, that's the way to go. But the price tag (esp with more than one child) deters a lot of people.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:17 PM

41 posts, read 152,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpruett View Post
I work for Ascension Parish schools. Very good system. Prairieville is getting a new elementary school. Both St. Amant and Prairieville Middle schools are old capuses, but very clean and have good teachers.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:01 PM

135 posts, read 479,136 times
Hi,
We recently moved to B.R. this past June. We love it here.
We also looked at Shadow Lakes & Green Trails. Ended up getting a good deal in Clear Lake Estates. Love the neighborhood, Easy to get to I-12, close to Jones Creek and places to eat, but not too far from other places like the mall ect..

Good Luck with your search.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osunshine View Post
Hi,
We recently moved to B.R. this past June. We love it here.
We also looked at Shadow Lakes & Green Trails. Ended up getting a good deal in Clear Lake Estates. Love the neighborhood, Easy to get to I-12, close to Jones Creek and places to eat, but not too far from other places like the mall ect..

Good Luck with your search.
Where did you move from? My family and I moved here in March 2005 and love it here too. It is refreshing to see positive things said about Baton Rouge. I would say the only negative thing here is that the amount of rude people incresed a bit after the hurricanes( I guess New Orleans people are not as nice and courteous as BR people)! other than that, there are tons of things to do here, especially for families. Today, we went to the library where a librarain read a story and then the kids did a little craft afterwards. Sure, it lasted only a hour, but it was so much fun! There are many things to do here, one just has to look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge