Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 PM

82 posts, read 134,674 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Never have lived in southeast US. I am being offered a government job for 60 to 65K. Currently living in southern MA (near Providence, RI). I hear cost of living in LA is cheaper, but I just have no sense how much. Any clues guys? Thanks.

Lost tiger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:21 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertiger View Post
Hi All,

Never have lived in southeast US. I am being offered a government job for 60 to 65K. Currently living in southern MA (near Providence, RI). I hear cost of living in LA is cheaper, but I just have no sense how much. Any clues guys? Thanks.

Lost tiger...
60-65K for a single is pretty good. For a family, it depends on where you want to live. As to cost of living, it's not too bad. Taxes aren't too bad. Income tax is 6% (keep in mind some of your income gets taxed at 2 and 4%, so you'll not be paying 6% on everything you make). Sales taxes in BR are 9%. Property taxes on a 200K home would run you about 1000-1500. One thing which IS expensive in La is the first time you register your car in Louisiana, as they charge you with 4% Louisiana sales tax regardless of whether or not you bought your car in Louisiana.

Anyway, I'll let you digest all this because I'm sure the next question is where you want to live (Are we talking Baton Rouge or New Orleans ?).

Old 07-05-2008, 01:44 PM

Wow - that was just what I was wondering w/ taxes and etc.. This position is in Baton Rouge. I have a family (my wife is a HS English teacher in MA.) She will want to work down there, but still looking around if she wants to continue her graduate studies at LSU or something.

So where do I want to live? :-)

Old 07-05-2008, 02:08 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertiger View Post
Wow - that was just what I was wondering w/ taxes and etc.. This position is in Baton Rouge. I have a family (my wife is a HS English teacher in MA.) She will want to work down there, but still looking around if she wants to continue her graduate studies at LSU or something.

So where do I want to live? :-)
With kids, you'd want to look into Zachary, Central, W. Feliciana Parish (St Francisville - has good schools b/c of the property taxes they get from a nuclear power plant), and Prairieville in Ascension Parish. I specifically didn't mention Livingston Parish because the I-12 commute is nasty, and there always seem to be wrecks along that corridor. Plus, they're about to start widening I-12 from O'Neal Lane to Range Ave in Denham (I think in a year or two), so that will make I-12 traffic even worse.

With no kids, I prefer west of Airline, east of Dalrymple, and south of Florida. I also would NOT buy a house between Bayou Fountain and the Miss River because that land is nearly all floodplain. Meaning that whenever you get a heavy rain (a fairly often occurrence in BR), you have the risk of flooding.

In general, you want to live south of Florida Blvd and east of Dalrymple. Within that area, there are a few seedy areas: (1) Blvd de Provence, and (2) Gardere.

Now, depending on what you can spend and type of house (new, old, etc) you want, we can steer you to more specific neighborhoods.

Oh, and when I talked about the cost to register a car the first time in Louisiana, let me also add that once you pay the sales tax, renewals are pretty cheap - I want to say $40 every two years.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,999 times
Default Baton Rouge housing is 75% lower than SoCal!

I am leasing a small condo, 2 bedrooms in Orange County, California that would sell for $550K. I am buying a gorgeous home on a lake and golf course all tricked out in a gated country club community near Baton Rouge for $275K. Gasoline is l75 a gallong cheaper than California, food is cheaper, ditto going to the dentist or to a restaurant.

I bet where you are is close to California prices. $60K in Calofornia is worth $100K in Louisiana/

Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 PM

Thanks guys.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:52 PM

96 posts, read 338,394 times
Talking $275k in gated golf and lake?

$275k in gated golf and lake? where at? anything decent in zones 5 & 6 is 130-150+ sqft, and CCL or Santa Maria $170-$500?

Pelican Point doesn't count too far

In all seriousness though, 60K is good enough here, unlike California or the big cities in the North East. You can get a nice home, even a new one in the 200's in-town (or if you are feeling adventurous, perhaps a bungalow in SBR for $40k or a whole apartment complex for $50k in Gandere )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge