Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:50 PM

541 posts, read 1,903,060 times

Advertisements

I often wonder if some of those who complain so often about Baton Rouge are the same people who never left the LSU area of Baton Rouge. I noticed a trend during my four years of going to LSU that a large population of the students from out of town had never ventured very far beyond the Wal-Mart on College.

I think Baton Rouge given its location and the state in which it is located is not a half bad city. The shops in the Towne Center on Corporate, the new developments around the Mall of La, Perkins Rowe, the countless restaurants moving in everyday, and even several respectable night life venues downtown make for a rather decent city in my opinion.

The only thing that I can perhaps agree with as far as what is negative about Baton Rouge is the job market. However, as someone stated earlier the whole state suffers from that problem. Even the great and wonderful New Orleans *rolls eyes* has one of the worst job markets in the country. If somewhere in the future, after I tire of living in NYC, Baton Rouge has any job openings in my field I would strongly consider moving back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 01:01 PM

110 posts, read 390,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
I often wonder if some of those who complain so often about Baton Rouge are the same people who never left the LSU area of Baton Rouge. I noticed a trend during my four years of going to LSU that a large population of the students from out of town had never ventured very far beyond the Wal-Mart on College.

I think Baton Rouge given its location and the state in which it is located is not a half bad city. The shops in the Towne Center on Corporate, the new developments around the Mall of La, Perkins Rowe, the countless restaurants moving in everyday, and even several respectable night life venues downtown make for a rather decent city in my opinion.

The only thing that I can perhaps agree with as far as what is negative about Baton Rouge is the job market. However, as someone stated earlier the whole state suffers from that problem. Even the great and wonderful New Orleans *rolls eyes* has one of the worst job markets in the country. If somewhere in the future, after I tire of living in NYC, Baton Rouge has any job openings in my field I would strongly consider moving back.
WOW!, when did you leave? and why?
IM a BR native . I lived in North BR , went to public school there and college at SU.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 19,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianbrotha View Post
Cities should be full of life no matter how large or small they are..Lafayette is 1/2 the size of BR but embodies a greater sense of community.
Cities are for living.
I wouldn't say BTR is not full of life. It has one of the top party schools in the nation. Everytime I am out with friends, there are crowds everywhere, on the weekends, and even during the week. BTR is growing, and there are increasingly more things to do. It is getting there, and nothing tops Saturday night, when LSU and Southern play.

BTR has built, and is currently building more, and more places for people young, and old to hang out. Until hurricane Katrina, BTR was a small town, really. It doubled in size after Katrina, and it is going to take time for the city to catch up to that.

I am not saying BTR is perfect, but is isn't that bad.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 16,730 times
Quote:
This maybe true, but the Sub culture I am part of as a BLK , Gay ,Single professional didn't and doesn't exist to the degree I now witness. I sought a city with Cosmopolitan flair and an active gay community full of normal looking and acting single blk, white, brown and yellow professionals like myself. I chose the D.C. area.
Like a previous respondent ,I sought a city that matched my lifestyle and personality, to say BR currently has the potential to satisfy all is not true.
Hope fully I can Help someone else decide if BR is where he should be , or can help them find their way.
I salute u Nubian Brotha, it's like you're stealing words out of my mouth lol! Metro BR, the younger crowd population you are speaking of are college students or younger, of course there's LSU, SU and SE. I am however referring to 20s-30s crowd, single, educated and driven with that modern vibe. I've been in BR almost a year, gone to plenty bars and events, signed up for volunteer groups and also took classes on campus and that crowd is simply nonexistent here. Being a female, the people I do meet my age are either married, uneducated with no drive or ambition, and women with goals of just popping babies. I'm not trying to be negative, I just want to speak the truth because I read of a lot of forums and did a lot of research before I moved down here and it's something I wish I knew. Even when I moved down here, plenty baton rouge residents told me 'what are you doing here, this is not the place for young people like yourself, you need to be in Atlanta etc" I did not understand what they meant then but I wished I had taken their advise and left then and there. As Nubian brotha said, that's Cosmopolitan flair is missing. Everybody talks about going New Orleans, well you might as well move there, gas is too high to be driving back and forth so frequently. Nubian brotha, I just have to say, being in your sub culture must be hard because Louisiana is a very conservative state, it's 2008 but to me there are many outdated ways of thinking, and diversity here is also nonexistent (oh lawd don't get me started on that one lol).

Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 16,730 times
Nubian brotha as you stated earlier, most of the individuals in the group we are talking about move out of state after they are finished with their education. This reminds me of the phenomenon known as 'brain drain'. This is probably why the progression of the state is so slow because you need those young minds and intelliegence to bring freshness and new ideas to the state. Like me for example, there so much I would like to do in Baton Rouge, I would love to open up boutiques downtown, night clubs, and bring that modern, downtown edge to baton rouge. But I personally can't live here much longer. And that crowd that I would like to target is just not here. And I wonder if the conservative residents would be open to such changes.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,690,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAstudent View Post
I salute u Nubian Brotha, it's like you're stealing words out of my mouth lol! Metro BR, the younger crowd population you are speaking of are college students or younger, of course there's LSU, SU and SE. I am however referring to 20s-30s crowd, single, educated and driven with that modern vibe. I've been in BR almost a year, gone to plenty bars and events, signed up for volunteer groups and also took classes on campus and that crowd is simply nonexistent here. Being a female, the people I do meet my age are either married, uneducated with no drive or ambition, and women with goals of just popping babies. I'm not trying to be negative, I just want to speak the truth because I read of a lot of forums and did a lot of research before I moved down here and it's something I wish I knew. Even when I moved down here, plenty baton rouge residents told me 'what are you doing here, this is not the place for young people like yourself, you need to be in Atlanta etc" I did not understand what they meant then but I wished I had taken their advise and left then and there. As Nubian brotha said, that's Cosmopolitan flair is missing. Everybody talks about going New Orleans, well you might as well move there, gas is too high to be driving back and forth so frequently. Nubian brotha, I just have to say, being in your sub culture must be hard because Louisiana is a very conservative state, it's 2008 but to me there are many outdated ways of thinking, and diversity here is also nonexistent (oh lawd don't get me started on that one lol).
Don't be so negative, as somebody who has three children and several nieces and nephews in this "20's 30's" crowd, I know that people this age could do much worse than Baton Rouge. My oldest daughter (abt. to be 36) is leaving Baton Rouge in the fall, but it is not because of any of the reasons you mentioned. It is because she wants to get away from the hustle and bustle and she is taking her three little ones to Ocean Springs, MS.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 PM

110 posts, read 390,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Don't be so negative, as somebody who has three children and several nieces and nephews in this "20's 30's" crowd, I know that people this age could do much worse than Baton Rouge. My oldest daughter (abt. to be 36) is leaving Baton Rouge in the fall, but it is not because of any of the reasons you mentioned. It is because she wants to get away from the hustle and bustle and she is taking her three little ones to Ocean Springs, MS.
Good luck to her, is she single? will she be looking for a partner or bring one with her. What does Ocean Spring have to offer Married coples or Single raising kids...hope it works. BR hustle and bustle is little if not moderate. Metro DC can be a great place to raise kids...lol

Old 07-30-2008, 04:44 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,027,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post

I think that the state suffers from good employment opps (not the only state mind you), but there has never been a comprehensive plan in place to do that with in Louisiana. The powers that be who can do the most don't really ever seem to get far with it for one reason or another, and unfortuanately we have had some eleceted officials incl. governors who cared less. No big push here for jo bss or business development. Mississippi and Alabama are kickin' our a** in job growth and economic development. Why we don't care is a puzzle.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:43 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,690,465 times
Quote:
Good luck to her, is she single? will she be looking for a partner or bring one with her. What does Ocean Spring have to offer Married coples or Single raising kids...hope it works. BR hustle and bustle is little if not moderate. Metro DC can be a great place to raise kids...lol
She's been married for about 13 years now. They had an idea that they wanted to move to the MS gulf coast and the SIL got a new job in Pascagoula a year ago and has been living in a rent house there since then. They decided Ocean Springs was nicer than Pascagoula so they bought a house and my daughter and their kids will be joining him there just before the start of school.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:28 AM

541 posts, read 1,903,060 times
Quote:
WOW!, when did you leave? and why?
IM a BR native . I lived in North BR , went to public school there and college at SU.

I just graduated in May. I decided not to stay in BR after graduation for the reason listed above...lack of job opportunities. I am from Lake Charles originally....which may explain why I don't think Baton Rouge is that bad of a town. If you want to live in a truly dead hole town then try living in Lake Charles.

It's not that I am anti northeast (obviously since I am moving to NYC in 3 weeks) I just don't think Baton Rouge is that bad of a mid-size town especially for Louisiana.

Also could part of the reason you don't like BR be because you grew up and went to school in one of the worst and crime ridden parts of the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge