Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,327 times

Advertisements

Hi there, folks. I've just been offered a job at LSU. Specifically, I'd be working at their fire training site (6868 Nicholson Drive). I haven't yet agreed to take the position, however, because I'm having a hard time finding information about rental housing.

I've skimmed through these forums and gathered a bit of info about the city. But since I've only passed through Baton Rouge once before, I don't really know much about the layout of the city -- good neighborhoods versus bad, traffic issues and such.

I'm looking for a one or two bedroom apartment over 800sf. I'd actually prefer to live somewhere outside of the city (Gonzales/Prairieville, maybe?), but if necessary I'd be willing to move closer to work.
Here's the thing -- I'm coming from the suburbs of Charlotte NC, and up here $700 for a large 1BR is borderline excessive. From what little I've been able to find on the 'net, it sounds like Baton Rouge will be MUCH more expensive.

So essentially what I'm asking is the following...
(1) What's housing like south of the city in the areas I mentioned? Safe? Affordable? What's travel time to my work location like from those areas? Recommendations, anyone?
(2) If the outer portions of the southern metro area aren't doable, where should I consider, and how much can I look at paying? Again, recommendations are welcome.

This is one of the biggest determining factors in my decision to take the job, and LSU officials want to know what I've decided by Wednesday, July 30th...so assistance of a rapid nature would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:49 AM

794 posts, read 3,361,636 times
From the limited research I've done concerning other apartments here, it'll be hard to find a 1br at 800+ sqft and below $700. But guess what, Jefferson East has it. I think it's right at $700 or $690 maybe for a 1br large 800 sqft apartment. There may be a few others, but I don't know them to name them right off. This $700 apartment along with others of its type will have little to no amenities. It's just an apartment. You usually don't pay water, but you'll pay lights and your other services, except garbage and pest. The new places are more expensive, you get a few more amenities but nothing that I would consider great. One place charges $1000 for a 1br and the only thing great about it was it's gym deal, but you can sign up for the Y if you wanted.

If you're set on Ascension, there are new and nice apartments down around the LA 30 exit and Dutchtown exit, but they're higher. You're right, $700 is relatively cheap here now. If you're set on that price, you have to look for older places. And to keep from being mixed with the riff raff of the rural areas in cheap duplexs, you'll probably want to just come back into BTR. There are plenty of decent places in south BTR, Bluebonnet, Essen, Perkins, even Jefferson Hwy you're not that far from Nicholson and the Fire training center. You'd be talking about a 15-20 minute commute in decent traffic. From G-town, it'll still be 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day and if you come straight up Nicholson instead of taking I-10. That's another thing you need to know. Traffic to and from the suburbs is pure hell during the week. Unless you're looking for land or good schools, I would suggest staying in BTR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: