Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,771 times

Advertisements

Soon I will be moving to Baton Rouge to attend law school. I am in the process of finding a SAFE apartment close to campus. I will be living alone and safety is the most important factor that I am considering. Any suggestions on specific complexes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 PM

100 posts, read 392,730 times
Immediately north of Campus isn't bad...State Street/Tula Street areas are a bit run down, but not dangerous. They throw a good party for halloween too! That area gets shady when you pass Roosevelt street, but there are a lot of newer complexes in that area that are marketed towards students. I would consider one of the newer complexes that could help you find a roommate. They offer a lot of amenities and most have on site security, and they are very near Chimes Street...which is a plus.

Immediately south of Campus is safe, but are probably a 15 to 20 minute walk from the Law School. I spent $550 for a one bedroom a few years ago off Gourrier Avenue. It was a very basic place, but I could walk to campus. The neighborhood was mostly grad students, who tend to be much quieter.

If you don't mind the bus or driving, then the Lee Drive/Brightside area is a good bet, but they are filled with undergraduates who can be a tad loud. You'll need a lot of quiet time to study...trust me. You will discover the 2nd and 3rd floors of Middleton Library and the Law Library pretty quick for that, though!

I'd have to seriously recommend the south campus area. Embassy Apartments and other complexes on Gourrier Avenue are not fancy by any means, but they are clean, safe, and quiet. Avoid the ones that front on Burbank- lots of traffic and street noise and some are run down. The ones on Gourrier or Parker Blvd are the area's best kept secret.

My wife (my GF at the time) lived alone in a complex on Lee Drive @ Boone when she went to school at LSU. I thought it was a bit too much of a student neighborhood, but they let her have a dog and she was 10 minutes from LSU by bus. Some of the rental units there are nice, some are kind of run down. It's a very safe neighborhood, but traffic can be a bit hairy on Lee and Highland btw 3PM and 6PM.

congrats on getting into Law School.

Last edited by southland; 02-05-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 05:47 PM

3 posts, read 16,346 times
Most places on Lee Drive, or Brightside are pretty nice. I lived on Brightside View Dr. my first year at LSU and LOVED it. It was a good neighborhood and the prices weren't bad. I would stay a little further from the North gates. South is usually better. (safer!)

good luck and congrats!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM

513 posts, read 1,582,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
Immediately north of Campus isn't bad...State Street/Tula Street areas are a bit run down, but not dangerous. They throw a good party for halloween too! That area gets shady when you pass Roosevelt street, but there are a lot of newer complexes in that area that are marketed towards students. I would consider one of the newer complexes that could help you find a roommate. They offer a lot of amenities and most have on site security, and they are very near Chimes Street...which is a plus.

Immediately south of Campus is safe, but are probably a 15 to 20 minute walk from the Law School. I spent $550 for a one bedroom a few years ago off Gourrier Avenue. It was a very basic place, but I could walk to campus. The neighborhood was mostly grad students, who tend to be much quieter.

If you don't mind the bus or driving, then the Lee Drive/Brightside area is a good bet, but they are filled with undergraduates who can be a tad loud. You'll need a lot of quiet time to study...trust me. You will discover the 2nd and 3rd floors of Middleton Library and the Law Library pretty quick for that, though!

I'd have to seriously recommend the south campus area. Embassy Apartments and other complexes on Gourrier Avenue are not fancy by any means, but they are clean, safe, and quiet. Avoid the ones that front on Burbank- lots of traffic and street noise and some are run down. The ones on Gourrier or Parker Blvd are the area's best kept secret.

My wife (my GF at the time) lived alone in a complex on Lee Drive @ Boone when she went to school at LSU. I thought it was a bit too much of a student neighborhood, but they let her have a dog and she was 10 minutes from LSU by bus. Some of the rental units there are nice, some are kind of run down. It's a very safe neighborhood, but traffic can be a bit hairy on Lee and Highland btw 3PM and 6PM.

congrats on getting into Law School.
I agree with you on The Embassy Apartment, the apt itself is kinda old, but it's close to campus and for an student apt complex, very quiet and very safe. I lived there for a year and never had any problem with noise/partying/safety. The management is also very friendly, understanding and responsive. Another big plus is although the apt is old, during hurricane Gustav last year, our apt only lost power for 1 day and we didn't sustain any damage/flooding to our apt, I was the least affected among all the people I know. (most of them lived in fancier apt, but they all lost power for at least a week)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
View detailed profiles of: