Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:18 PM

123 posts, read 867,326 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving and trying to find a safe spot in a different part of BR. I've googled it and everything but no one has anything to say about either of these apartments.

Can anyone give me an opinion on the apartments (or areas): Bluebonnet Ridge (glenstone court) and Reserve at Jefferson Crossing?

I'm ok with traffic, I'm just mostly concerned about safety. Have you heard anything about heavy crime or theft in the area? Do you know anyone there? Have you lived there? Have you driven by? ANYTHING at all would help.

I searched city-data forums first but these two specific apts were not in the search results. I saw some comments on the Reserve at cedar lodge, but nothing about the Reserve at jefferson crossing? Unless they are the same thing??

Thanks a ton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,465,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafedup View Post
Hi,

I'm moving and trying to find a safe spot in a different part of BR. I've googled it and everything but no one has anything to say about either of these apartments.

Can anyone give me an opinion on the apartments (or areas): Bluebonnet Ridge (glenstone court) and Reserve at Jefferson Crossing?

I'm ok with traffic, I'm just mostly concerned about safety. Have you heard anything about heavy crime or theft in the area? Do you know anyone there? Have you lived there? Have you driven by? ANYTHING at all would help.

I searched city-data forums first but these two specific apts were not in the search results. I saw some comments on the Reserve at cedar lodge, but nothing about the Reserve at jefferson crossing? Unless they are the same thing??

Thanks a ton
Bluebonnet Ridge - if you're referring to the green apartments by the Bluebonnet library, I recall back in the med 90s that they were either low income apartments or they rented to a certain number of low income people. Other than that memory from 15 years ago, it's a decent part of town.

Reserve at Jefferson Crossing, according to Google, is WAY down near Airline/Jefferson/Highland. An area that rapidly suburbanized 10 years ago, and I bet there are traffic issues way out there. Unless you're working in Ascension Parish, there are many apartments closer in.

As to safe spots, in general, you want to stay south of Florida Blvd/Government/LSU and avoid (1) Blvd De Provence, (2) Flannery Road, (3) GSRI/Gardere, (4) Southpark (connects Coursey to Airline), (5) apartments on Cedarcrest, (6) Old Hammond between Flannery and Millerville. Other than that, we'd need to know the complex.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 PM

22 posts, read 69,503 times
This may be way out from where you want to live but Camden Lakes off oneal is wonderful! I have also lived at Jefferson Place which wasnt bad not great but not bad

Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks! The Ridge's rent is right up my alley but I thought that area was pretty safe. But dont low-income apts usually equal Sec 8? Im not interested in that. I wonder if the complex is as safe as the area.

Thanks for the tips on where to avoid. I almost looked into Southpark. Have you heard anything about Bluebonnet Towers? I know it used to be a Jimmy Swaggert bible school or something but I wonder if they deal with high crime?

Redhead, thanks for the suggestions, but I googled them and they are way out of my price range. They look awesome though. If only. LOL.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks! The Ridge's rent is right up my alley but I thought that area was pretty safe. But dont low-income apts usually equal Sec 8? Im not interested in that. I wonder if the complex is as safe as the area.
Good question - I've never heard any incidents from those apartments. And it does help that there is a low concentration - in other words, you don't have an "apartment city" like there is in Gardere with apartments one after the other.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on where to avoid. I almost looked into Southpark. Have you heard anything about Bluebonnet Towers? I know it used to be a Jimmy Swaggert bible school or something but I wonder if they deal with high crime?
That area seems safe, but what I'd be concerned about (1) since Jimmy's empire went down over 20 years ago, all of his buildings have a "haven't been maintained since the 1980s" look (in fact, there is an unfinished dorm that needs to be demolished that has sat abandoned for 22 years in the Louisiana weather) , (2) at one point, I recall the complex advertised that they paid the utilities for the tenants - BIG red flag to me, (3) the apartments have a projects like look and feel to them. Still, you're next to a lot of retail and several health clubs.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:36 AM

97 posts, read 1,228,944 times
Quote:
I agree with what BRman said, although I heard the other day that the abandoned building over there is owned by some company and they should be renovating it soon. In the meantime, it is patrolled by Sheriff's deputies.

Also, I don't know about crime, but those are located between Perkins Road and the interstate. They are across the street from both the mall and the Perkins Rowe shopping center, both of which have a movie theater and several restaurants. That means there will be awful traffic to deal with, especially around 5:00...or anytime people go shopping, or to the movies, or out to eat.....you get the picture.

If it helps at all, I live in Tigerland (just south of LSU on Nicholson) and although it is somewhat run down, rent is generally cheap and I've never experienced any crime. I also love the proximity to LSU/downtown/the river.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousLindsey View Post
I heard the other day that the abandoned building over there is owned by some company and they should be renovating it soon.
While this may be true, they've been saying this for yearrs. To me, there needs to be more civic outrage that this abandoned structure has been allowed to stand this long. It really needs to be razed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousLindsey View Post
If it helps at all, I live in Tigerland (just south of LSU on Nicholson) and although it is somewhat run down, rent is generally cheap and I've never experienced any crime. I also love the proximity to LSU/downtown/the river.
It is pretty safe. You have to like living near partying students, though (there are two bars in the neighborhood, and another one nearby)

Old 12-19-2009, 09:18 AM

101 posts, read 261,428 times
Bluebonnet Towers - I have a coworker who's relocated to the area and is living there. He says it's a roof over his head. He doesn't seem thrilled but it's a 'for now' solution.

I live off Jefferson Highway and love the area. I feel entirely safe. Truth is, I haven't felt unsafe anywhere I've been in BR.

Bluebonnet and Perkins -- great area but I just don't want to deal with the traffic.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM

97 posts, read 1,228,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
It is pretty safe. You have to like living near partying students, though (there are two bars in the neighborhood, and another one nearby)
There are more bars than that, actually. I believe there are four in the neighborhood, although two are attached to each other. Do with that what you will...

Anyway, the complex I live in is in the very back and probably slightly more expensive than others in Tigerland. ($600's for a 1 bedroom, $700's for a 2 bedroom.) I think that has helped to keep troublemakers and partiers out. It's pretty quiet. It's called Courtyard Orleans.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 AM

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

I drove over to get a good look at the Ridge and you're right, BRMAN it's not like an apartment city, so I'm considering them. With the Towers, the utilities being included were a bonus for me, but maybe I'm overlooking something? Is that a bad thing?

Lindsey, I'm not familiar with Tigerland and I think it'll be a bit out of my way but it's good to consider.

BR-Bound, thanks much for the personal comment. I'm glad to hear someone lives there. I have looked for reviews online and have yet to find one single review from someone who lives in or knows someone who lives in that place.
You said you live off of Jefferson Hwy, just wondering would that happen to be the Reserve? If so, sounds like a thumbs up, very safe is exactly what I want.

Does anyone have any opinions about Chateaux Dijon on Essen?

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge