Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 54,010 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm a university student at Essex University (in England) and I might be coming to study for a few months at Louisiana State University.

Can someone give me some general information on the area around the university, regarding things like crime, nightlife, public transport? And what is the university itself like?

All information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 07:59 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,356,591 times
This might be of use to you . Daily Reveille

Old 11-26-2009, 02:30 PM

11 posts, read 54,010 times
Although I am grateful for the website, I would like to hear some opinions from people on the board.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:21 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,356,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukimura View Post
Although I am grateful for the website, I would like to hear some opinions from people on the board.
I understand , but I thought there might be some information that would be useful to you . Maps , local businesses , etc . Whatever .

Old 11-28-2009, 03:06 PM

100 posts, read 392,442 times
well, if you are studying at LSU, the immediate north gates of campus is decent (don't go much farther north than State street)....most of the neighborhoods south of campus are okay. Avoid Gardere and areas north of Florida Blvd- they have some crime problems.

Downtown is decent if you are looking for a nice rental property. There's some suburbanites on here that would disagree with me, but the crime in this area is fairly low and the rents are somewhat of a bargain. There are bus routes to and from LSU to downtown, where most of what you need is in a walkable street grid (except for a supermarket), including night life and a 24 hour gym.

The Southdowns area (Stanford/Lee drive btw Perkins and Highland Road) is very nice if you have the means as well as the Perkins Road area near I-10 and Christian Street. Of course, those areas are slightly more expensive for a graduate student- but they are on either the city bus route or on the Tiger Trails routes, and they are quiet for studying, while still being safe and convenient to night life and shopping.

When I was a grad student at LSU, I rented a place near Carlotta street for a while. It's a more rustic neighborhood with a lot of students, but it's very close to campus and within walking distance to decent bars, restaurants, and the Varsity Theater.

Unfortunately, if you aren't in the areas that I outlined near a bus route...you'll need a car, scooter, or motorcycle.

Here is a map and info regarding the FREE public transit network around LSU called "Tiger Trails", which I hear good things about. Their routes intersect with many public transit routes, which have access to most of the rest of the city....just be warned...the city bus lines are known for being late. The drivers are downright scary at times and can make a "standing room only" trip a hair raising experience.
Tiger Trails: Home
CATS- BR city bus system http://www.brcats.com/map.htm (broken link)

I can be of much more assistance. Just let me know specific questions that I can answer. There's several student communities that offer shuttles directly to campus and will pair you up with a roommate if you need one. I have attended LSU for my undergrad and completed my masters there as well long long ago, and my wife earned her masters from LSU 3 years ago and her bachelor's from Texas A&M. We know what it's like to be a student in Baton Rouge.

www.craigslist.com is a good bet for rental properties, coupled with the use of maps.google.com (street view is your friend!)...that should be pretty helpful.

As for the school itself...IT'S AWESOME. But I have to admit bias. Should you decide to come here, don't forget to attend at least a few American Football games...LSU has a great football team with a huge following here.

Last edited by southland; 11-28-2009 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 02:25 AM

97 posts, read 1,229,278 times
I use Tiger Trails to get to school every day and it is SO much better than trying to find a parking spot in any of the godforsaken lots on campus. Saves time and gas money too.

As for your other concerns, crime is very minimal on campus. The LSU police are pretty darn good at their jobs. The area outside of the northgates between campus and downtown are a bit dodgy, but there are some gems in there. I'm not much of a nightlife person, but the Bulldog is pretty awesome. Although, being from England you may have higher standards for English pubs.

Also, the restaurants in BR have no equal. Your tastebuds will rejoice, I promise.

If you are looking into housing, try Tigerland (just down the road on Nicholson with 4 Tiger Trails buses running to it) to avoid the traffic on Highland and throughout the rest of S. Baton Rouge. It looks a bit rough, but I live there and have never had a problem or felt unsafe. This area also has the added bonus of walking/biking to school/football games if you are so inclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge