Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times

Advertisements

Since the idea of Baton Rouge scares so many people, I thought it'd be nice to shed some positivity on this thread:

1. LSU football and the tailgating atmosphere on Game Day
2. Lack of bitterly cold winters (In my memory, 1989, 1995/6, and 2000 were the coldest winters I remember) means you don't need to buy a lot of winter clothing
3. Fairly good variety of restaurants here
4. People are not very pretentious here
5. Our economy is doing decently right now
6. The experience of a crawfish boil
7. Cost of living is manageable
8. You have a variety of people from the Deep South, Cajun Country, New Orleans, East Asia, India brought here by the universities, government, and the petrochemical industry
9. Good growing season for many fruits/vegetables
10. The Baton Rouge water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 08:28 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
I'll second that water supply quality. The city of Baton Rouge has the second best municiple water supply in the country (last time I heard, which was recently).
The rest were positives as well. I love the weather here, except from June-early September, although we do get sea breeze showers usually that can cool things off quick, but then make things steamy. The winters make me really appreciate south Louisiana though.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 PM

12 posts, read 61,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
I'll second that water supply quality. The city of Baton Rouge has the second best municiple water supply in the country (last time I heard, which was recently).
The rest were positives as well. I love the weather here, except from June-early September, although we do get sea breeze showers usually that can cool things off quick, but then make things steamy. The winters make me really appreciate south Louisiana though.
I heard someone say that about the water, but no one can tell me where they found that information. Louisiana water quality can be found here:

LOUISIANA: Water Quality Report

and here:

EWG Investigation | U.S. Tap Water Quality Database

Old 06-30-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundabout View Post
I heard someone say that about the water, but no one can tell me where they found that information. Louisiana water quality can be found here:

LOUISIANA: Water Quality Report

and here:

Uh, EBR is even worse than the state:

EAST BATON ROUGE Parish: Clean Water Act Status Report

Old 06-30-2008, 09:08 PM

Do you even know the difference between surface water and the drinking water supply, where it comes from (ground water)? Did you recently move here?
You don't have to drink it if you don't want to. That's more for me.

Saltwater could impact Baton Rouge water supply - AOL Video

Baton Rouge boasts second cleanest water in U.S. - News (broken link)

Old 07-01-2008, 07:11 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Do you even know the difference between surface water and the drinking water supply, where it comes from (ground water)? Did you recently move here?

One thing, too, about the water is that it's soft. Meaning you need less soap when doing the laundry, and Cokes and tea taste better.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
Since the idea of Baton Rouge scares so many people, I thought it'd be nice to shed some positivity on this thread:

1. LSU football and the tailgating atmosphere on Game Day
2. Lack of bitterly cold winters (In my memory, 1989, 1995/6, and 2000 were the coldest winters I remember) means you don't need to buy a lot of winter clothing
3. Fairly good variety of restaurants here
4. People are not very pretentious here
5. Our economy is doing decently right now
6. The experience of a crawfish boil
7. Cost of living is manageable
8. You have a variety of people from the Deep South, Cajun Country, New Orleans, East Asia, India brought here by the universities, government, and the petrochemical industry
9. Good growing season for many fruits/vegetables
10. The Baton Rouge water
I agree with all but one. We have a HUGE variety of restaurants here...LOL!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:

I didn't mean to seem like I was bashing. Yes, I do know the difference. Drinking water includes both groundwater and surface water. Rainfall pours into surface water and some goes through the soil into aquifers underground. 2/3 of Louisiana gets their drinking water from groundwater, 1/3 gets it from surface water.

http://deq.state.la.us/portal/Portal...rfactsheet.pdf

The study you are citing was conducted by Men's Health magazine, but it's not independent or a government source. The third link you sent specifically states that the state of Louisiana failed to report their testing data and testing information on drinking water is not available.

I am not trying to be rude or cause a conflict and I am not trying to trash Baton Rouge, I just heard it from someone, no one could tell me where they could find the data from and I was just showing what I found.

Anyway, the food here is great. When I first came here someone had me try Boudin Balls at the Chimes; they were amazing. Getting a drive thru daiquiri is kinda nice too.

Last edited by roundabout; 07-01-2008 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM

No problem man. I'm just saying that the city of Baton Rouge historically has some of the best drinking water in the country in turns of where we get our water from, the Southern Hills Aquifer. Hell, in terms of everything I've ever heard. Or is somebody lying out there. We do not get it out of the river as some places have to. Sure some surface water ends up in the aquifer eventually but it's also a natural filtration process. The biggest threat to our aquifer is salt water intrusion.
You seemed to be making generalizations with your posts and links that Louisiana has bad ground water and estuaries. I will admit, there are plenty of advisories out there, but there are also plenty of places more than adequate enough to swim and fish without fear of disease or mercury contamination. If it was such a polluted place, why are there thousands of sportsmen taking to the waterways every day for fishing and recreation? (They know where to stay away from. )
Also, that third link I posted was just a drawdown of your original second link and I went a little further and queried into Louisiana, middle sized city, Baton Rouge, BR Water Co. and that's what came up. So I'm not sure where you were trying to head with that original posted link.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 19,155 times
1. Tree-lined streets
2. Great downtown architecture
3. Great local seasonal produce
4. Easy to meet people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge