Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 AM

794 posts, read 3,360,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I do try to blend in with traffic and respect the road. Unfortunately, there are some who think the road is all theirs - VERY dangerous assumption to make on BR's streets !
Funny thing is, I'm usually in a motor vehicle, and I still feel that sentiment... usually from some AHole behind me. And I'm nowhere near like a pawpaw driving. I consider myself careful, but I like to get where I'm going in a timely fashion too. I also make it a point not to block other people if I can help it. But the tailgating me just to get around so you can tailgate the next person really bugs me. If we're all stuck doing 45 on the freeway because of traffic then guess what, your azz can do 45 as well.

So, I don't think it matters what you drive/ride, it's an attitude thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,471,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
So, I don't think it matters what you drive/ride, it's an attitude thing.
Very much so - my pet peeve is being stuck in slow traffic on Perkins, College, (name your street) because you have two cars doing a "rolling roadblock" buy going 40 mph........

Old 11-23-2009, 12:48 PM

See, if there's a rolling roadblock going on, then I don't have a problem tailgating someone trying to get them to move over. But if we're all doing 40 because traffic is heavy, what's the point in tailgating someone just to get one car ahead? I've ended up passing a ton of people who did stuff like that just to get caught behind someone else. And if someone does that stuff to me, and I'm in a position to block them from getting back ahead, I block them. I know it's rude, but I consider it payback. Treat others how you want to be treated. That's my motto.

Oh, and I've noticed lately that WBR/Iberville seems to have gotten worse with slow people riding in the left lane. Didn't we just pass a law about that kind of stupidity?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Oh, and I've noticed lately that WBR/Iberville seems to have gotten worse with slow people riding in the left lane. Didn't we just pass a law about that kind of stupidity?
We did, although I wonder how much they can (or will even try) to enforce it. Even though there was the story in the paper about someone up in Zachary who was one of the the new law's first victims.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:12 PM

100 posts, read 392,622 times
Well, this is overall good news and will shed a good light on the city on a national level.

I suppose this isn't the perfect place, but I'd just like to remind Baton Rouge drivers to have patience. With all the construction going on, traffic is going to be hairy for the next few years.

Just remember:
Slower traffic keep right...if someone is behind you, move over for them. They may be in a legitimate hurry.
Have patience in stop in go traffic- let others in and most will return the favor.
Stay the required distance away from bicyclist.
Bicyclist- please don't ride the sidewalk to get around traffic lights...and it wouldn't hurt for you to move over once and a while on two lane roads to let rush hour traffic go by.
Report drunk drivers and red light runners.

Drive safe out there folks...and wear your seatbelts.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 PM

Not to mention that this is just the absolute worst time of year now to drive around the city. They should close shopping malls during afternoon rush hour. At least then I could just get home after work and then the rest of you can have the road.

On a sad note, I'm still for patience between drivers and cyclists, but I watched a cyclist last week blow past a red light on Goodwood Blvd where there were cars coming out of Chevelle. If he had been hit, I would have stayed and been a witness attesting that he ran that red light. Luckily, the drivers let him go on through. Who knows if that guy will be so lucky next time. He never even slowed down.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:51 PM

595 posts, read 1,174,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I would love it if they had specially designated bike lanes that were well maintained. Unfortunately, that is not the reality here in BR, and we occasionally have to ride on the main streets to get from point A to point B, since the idea of connecting streets is not a popular one here. It's not like I'm thrilled about doing so (riding on main streets), but I do my best to go with the flow of traffic and to be courteous.

Now, as to the "ride where ever they won't and cut through traffic and for the most part have no idea what a hand signal is or a red light or stop sign", I'd happily address that statement. Some cyclists don't signal and don't get the whole traffic flow concept. But many do. As to running stop signs, many of us only do so if there is no car nearby, and we look both ways first. Some don't, and I think that's where some of this "cycliing love" comes from.
I can give You The stop signs just stay safe!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
I can give You The stop signs just stay safe!!!
I do, and thanks for the concern - I ALWAYS look both ways as I approach a stop sign and/or light.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:19 PM

28 posts, read 90,156 times
Default Misunderstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
So you are actually comparing a semi-global city to Baton Rouge

Oh, Brother

Sorry we don't live up to your high expectations

I do have high expectations but not in the way you think.

The only comparison I made was that a larger city with significantly more traffic is safer because the roads and streets are more conducive to include both bicycles and cars/trucks. Boston has notoriously narrow streets (all going in the same direction - none of this alternate direction stuff) and some are as dangerous as Baton Rouge, but generally it's a safer place for bicyclist. I'd rather ride down Commonwealth Ave than Siegen Lane any day, and Seigen is much wider. People are just more used to seeing bicycles. One shouldn't excuse bad cyclist who can't decide whether they're following the rules of the road or trying to justify their bad riding as if they were pedestrians who have slightly different expectations. By the way, if you're ever in Boston look out for the Connecticut drivers - they're chronically horrible behind the wheel, as are drivers from a certain part of the world that shall remain unnamed. In Boston the prevailing attitude is that if you don't know where you are, you don't belong there; and you certainly shouldn't slow down or just stop to get your bearings - instantaneous road rage behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge