Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Ever since I saw a woman on a bike run over and killed by a truck on a busy city street I refuse to ride anything with less than 4 wheels. Bikes need a physically separated lane.
I've never understood the mentality of those who run over cyclists or "buzz" is (pass by us going 70 mph while illegally being less than 3' away from us).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I've never understood the mentality of those who run over cyclists or "buzz" is (pass by us going 70 mph while illegally being less than 3' away from us).
While there is no excuse to go 70, this new 3' law is impossible on streets like Park Boulevard. If I were to get three feet away from the biker riding between my car and the line of cars parked on the street, I would driving on the median and tearing up my car and the oak trees.

On an unrelated note, another thing that royally pisses me off is the other night, I'm coming down Dalrymple near the dog park (where there is a dedicated bike lane) and I come around the curve have to slam on my brakes because there were about five kids just riding very casually (going around in circles and zig-zagging and such) in the middle of this major street. I blew my horn harder than ever before! They're lucky it was me who came around the curve and not somebody fiddling with the radio or answering their phone or they would've been roadkill.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
When bicyclist pay their share of the taxes and fees that drivers of motor vehicles pay , then they can demand equal rights to the roadways . Until then , stay out of the road .

Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 PM

101 posts, read 261,525 times
I own and drive a car in Baton Rouge. When I'm not in my car I may be on my bike. I've paid taxes, registration, etc., etc. for my share of road use. If I were to be in my car AND riding my bike at the same time I could understand paying a second helping of taxes.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
When bicyclist pay their share of the taxes and fees that drivers of motor vehicles pay , then they can demand equal rights to the roadways . Until then , stay out of the road .
Not sure what you're referring to - cyclists pay taxes (if there'a a "cyclist exemption from taxation" pls let me know ! )And cycling (particularly if you're a serious cyclist) doesn't come cheap - meaning that you have to have some $$ to afford cycling gear.

Besides, regardless of your opinion, the law affords the same rights to motorcycles, cars, and bicycles ALREADY.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
While there is no excuse to go 70, this new 3' law is impossible on streets like Park Boulevard. If I were to get three feet away from the biker riding between my car and the line of cars parked on the street, I would driving on the median and tearing up my car and the oak trees..
I would agree with your statement on a narrow street like Park Blvd. But out on, say, River Road, you have people who love to buzz cyclists with less than 3' of open space. Plus, there have been cyclists killed out there on River Road.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:58 AM

595 posts, read 1,173,867 times
Quote:
I would agree with your statement on a narrow street like Park Blvd. But out on, say, River Road, you have people who love to buzz cyclists with less than 3' of open space. Plus, there have been cyclists killed out there on River Road.
See in My opinion River Road should have been widened and Re surfaced but all that I see that got done was the installation of a couple signs.I would like them to pave the top of the levee and put up tables and Bar-B Q pits. for the cyclist and hikers, disabled in wheel chairs . They still need to fix up River Road also extra lanes water stops and the like.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
See in My opinion River Road should have been widened and Re surfaced but all that I see that got done was the installation of a couple signs.I would like them to pave the top of the levee and put up tables and Bar-B Q pits. for the cyclist and hikers, disabled in wheel chairs . They still need to fix up River Road also extra lanes water stops and the like.
Very much agree - there is some federal $$ that will go towards extending the levee path to Farr Park (roughly 1 mile south of Brightside).

And, yes, water stops would be nice - heaven help the cyclist who runs out of water/food on River Road - you don't find food/drink till St Gabriel.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR_Bound View Post
I own and drive a car in Baton Rouge. When I'm not in my car I may be on my bike. I've paid taxes, registration, etc., etc. for my share of road use. If I were to be in my car AND riding my bike at the same time I could understand paying a second helping of taxes.
Using your logic , I should only have to pay taxes , registration , etc. for only one of the three vehicles in my driveway . After all , I only drive one of them at a time .

Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Very much agree - there is some federal $$ that will go towards extending the levee path to Farr Park (roughly 1 mile south of Brightside).

And, yes, water stops would be nice - heaven help the cyclist who runs out of water/food on River Road - you don't find food/drink till St Gabriel.
Yeah , let's spend some more of our tax dollars to provide for those dumbasses that took to the road unprepared . That stretch of road is not for the Mom ,Dad , and the kids kind of riders .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge