Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 AM

30 posts, read 77,682 times

Advertisements

We just found out that my husband will most likely be transferred from St. Augustine, FL to Baton Rouge, LA. I am excited for a change, except for what it means to my son. He is 4 and has cerebral palsy. He is a smart boy, cognitively up to speed, but he cannot walk without a walker, has some speech issues and tremors in his hands. Currently he is a part of the St. Johns County public schools ESE pre-K program which is excellent. They provide speech, Physical therapy and Occupational therapy as well as a first rate pre-K education. He is well liked in his school and everybody loves him...teachers thru 5th graders. I am very nervous after reading about the public schools in Baton Rouge and surrounding areas. I cannot even locate on any of the school websites where they have an ESE program or that they offer any therapies or that they go out of their way to include disabled children. My son does not need to go to a separate school and is capable of being with typical children, except that he needs physical assistance along the way. I checked into some private schools but because he is not potty trained (due to disability) they won't take him. And really that isn't the route I want to go anyway.

Anyway, sorry that was so long winded. I am trying to get a feel for what the schools are really like. Maybe there is a knowledgeable teacher out there somewhere??? Do they work with physical disabilities in the public schools? Are the people in the area generally accepting of physical disabilities? This really has me nervous as he is our world and we would never want to take him to a place where he is going to be ostracized for being physically different.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice you can give to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:25 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
I am 35 year old guy with cp I went to school in the south. Not Baton Rouge however I might have some ideas to help you. Be ready to do battle and alot of paperwork I will check back later I will help you any way I can I have been there. God bless your little boy

Old 03-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Thank you collegeguy. I so appreciate you taking your time for me. I hear about others who have to do battle for their children in the IEP process. I am just so lucky that I live in an area right now that a battle wasn't necessary...the county has provided everything my son needs without even asking. BUT I will do whatever it takes to make sure he gets the education and treatment he deserves.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 PM

I am home right now I was in grad school but I am not right now. Let me look around see what I can find look into head start. I went there did wonders for me at his age. I sent you a friend request. I was not potty trained at that age. But that can be done as well. They will want to put him in special ed DO LET THIS HAPPEN. I walked at his age with walker. Now I use only a cane. Look into Shriners Hospital for Chidren they got me walking. The doctors told me I would never walk. They will not cost you a dime. You have to have someone refer you I can do that for you if you wish. Do not want to post my email on here. But there got to be a way for you to pm without the whole world smaping my email lol

Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 PM

It is nice to hear from someone who has overcome CP. I sent you a pm...i think...

Old 03-03-2010, 01:51 PM

I sent you a pm I think. let me know if you got it. What schools have you looked into? Let me know of any issues your having and I will put my thinking cap on and see what I come up with you and your husband can talk to me any time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge