Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times

Advertisements

It's looking like all the weather predictions for the La Nina winter are holding true so far. We got a nice dusting of snow here in Bend last night and Mt. Bachelor has been getting dumped on! I just checked their website and things are looking good for a Thanksgiving opening (that's what I'm hoping for, maybe sooner)! They have 21" already mid-mountain!

Conditions.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:50 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
It's looking like all the weather predictions for the La Nina winter are holding true so far. We got a nice dusting of snow here in Bend last night and Mt. Bachelor has been getting dumped on! I just checked their website and things are looking good for a Thanksgiving opening (that's what I'm hoping for, maybe sooner)! They have 21" already mid-mountain!
It's been two nights of "stealth snow" here - no snow during the day. Maybe the snow is just shy...

First snow in Bend!-oct_snow.jpg

First snow in Bend!-columbines.jpg

Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post

Conditions.html
Seems like they were! When was the first snow fall in town the last couple of years?

This is the earliest snow fall for me by FAR. Was very surprised looking out my window last night watching it stick. Thought it was normal for the mountains, but in town...its great!

I drove up to the Mt. Bachelor's 'main lodge' Sunday evening and there were tons of people out trying to enjoy themselves.....I even saw some snowboards that looked like they were hiking up Mt. Bachelor to get a run or two in.

Very exciting!

Old 10-26-2010, 02:20 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
We're east of Bend, up at the 5,000' level, and had quite a bit snow overnight but it is melting quickly now. Was supposed to snow again today, however we have nothing but blue skies.

I can see the lower elevations from here, and it looks like it has all melted off already down there. I thought I wasn't mentally prepared for winter's arrival this year, but I ended up enjoying watching it from the first flakes onward.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Seems like they were! When was the first snow fall in town the last couple of years?

This is the earliest snow fall for me by FAR. Was very surprised looking out my window last night watching it stick. Thought it was normal for the mountains, but in town...its great!

I drove up to the Mt. Bachelor's 'main lodge' Sunday evening and there were tons of people out trying to enjoy themselves.....I even saw some snowboards that looked like they were hiking up Mt. Bachelor to get a run or two in.

Very exciting!
Last year it was really early, October 3rd! We had several inches too and the leaves on our trees hadn't even turned colors yet. We ended up losing a mature silver maple in the back yard. I don't recall the year before, my first year, but I don't think we got anything until December. For me, growing up in Colorado I'm used to early fall snows. It seems like every few years we would get a pretty good storm there in late September!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
We're east of Bend, up at the 5,000' level, and had quite a bit snow overnight but it is melting quickly now. Was supposed to snow again today, however we have nothing but blue skies.

I can see the lower elevations from here, and it looks like it has all melted off already down there. I thought I wasn't mentally prepared for winter's arrival this year, but I ended up enjoying watching it from the first flakes onward.
Sugarsugar, I thought the same thing, especially when we started getting those frosts in September. However, I think now that the mountains are getting snow, I'm ready. As long as it doesn't rain all winter again, I'll be a happy camper!

Last edited by delta07; 10-26-2010 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2010, 03:37 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
What the earliest Bachelor has opened? I can't recall really skiiing before Thanksgiving in Oregon...

Looks like up on Hood, Timberline will open it's lower mountain runs this weekend--the upper mountain(which doesn't really close long) re-opened for weekends back at the beginning of October.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:32 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
AH! My brother lives in Bend. I'm calling him right now!

Edit: Confirmed. He had snow at his house! Funny, considering it'll be in the 90's tomorrow where I live

Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Anyone have an inside scoop on Mt. Bachelor's opening? I know they say the 24th, but anyone have any info on the early open?

Last edited by kapetrich; 10-29-2010 at 12:59 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 AM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
delta07 - I find it more than coincidental that after we spoke about ****, it has rained.

Honestly, I think we should never say that 4 letter word out loud again

Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
delta07 - I find it more than coincidental that after we spoke about ****, it has rained.

Honestly, I think we should never say that 4 letter word out loud again
Haha, yup, so true! Of course, even though I'm excited for ski season, I have to say that today is absolutely beautiful! I wouldn't mind a few more of these days before winter sets in for good.

Don't worry, I'm heading to Hawaii next week so pretty sure we'll have lots of the unspoken when I return!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend