Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 6,760 times

Advertisements

Greetings All ..

Please excuse the possibility that this may be seen as an overt request for work or sales to my business. It isn't ..

In truth, I am simply a capable young builder & business owner in need of input toward my best place of service here in Central Oregon. I am approaching my 10th successful year in construction, but am feeling the need to really focus my energy toward a means of differentiating myself from being just another General Contractor/Business Owner:

IDEAS?

1) Fill a niche that is missing from our area? Example: Develop lease to own housing opportunities with banks for displaced families ..
2) Offer a product that is missing form our area? Example: High quality residential H2O filtration systems ..
3) Offer a service to our community that isn't currently available here? Example: Ice hockey rink .. woo hoo
4) Draw from your life experiences and please tell me what you would like to see here in Central Oregon .. perhaps I can be the catalyst

I wish to be of service to our amazing community & to the great state of OREGON!

I am college educated, management wise and have an Entrepreneurial Spirit!

ANY input from YOU is welcome .... THANK YOU !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
Personally I think anyone that evolves towards high efficiency/ Green building at reasonable cost,will have a good future no matter the area

Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
I've been searching a while now for a true sauna builder (I know, I know - I'm a lush, but it's a dream of mine) and I haven't been able to find a contractor that specializes in this type of thing. All the contractors say they can do it, but I want someone who knows what they're doing.

I think Bend would do well with truly green construction. The lease to own is a great idea. Community gardens. Square foot garden insulation (it's easy, but I'd be willing to bet people would pay). Grey water systems (I'd do this now). I'll think some more and get back to you.

The high quality H2O system seems like it wouldn't work save for brand new residence who don't know how amazing our tap water quality is.

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-22-2012 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 AM

456 posts, read 1,007,549 times
Reasonable cost is the key. There are green homes, but the prices are so removed from reality. BB has article today about home prices continuing to fall in Bend. Typical though, a quote from the RE industry saying the bottom has been reached [again].

just about $600/ft for green..

19019 NW Squirrel Tail Loop, Bend, OR

Old 02-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Thank you much ... that is a good reminder to stay the course with Green Building and keep/find ways to keep it affordable!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM

At ANYTHING close to $600 sf .. nobody really wins! RIDICULOUS!

Even if the client were happy with the end Green product; would they really be calling their builder back for more Green building at that price? I don't think so.

For now, until the price of Green building levels off to a more comparable price with typical building practices we are all somewhat reliant on the Feds continuing to "incentivize" people with tax credits, education & other pay back programs.

(Reminds me to look further into such programs .. thank you)

Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM

Default Kapetrich .. your input is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I've been searching a while now for a true sauna builder (I know, I know - I'm a lush, but it's a dream of mine) and I haven't been able to find a contractor that specializes in this type of thing. All the contractors say they can do it, but I want someone who knows what they're doing.

I think Bend would do well with truly green construction. The lease to own is a great idea. Community gardens. Square foot garden insulation (it's easy, but I'd be willing to bet people would pay). Grey water systems (I'd do this now). I'll think some more and get back to you.

The high quality H2O system seems like it wouldn't work save for brand new residence who don't know how amazing our tap water quality is.

Bear with me as I learn how to respond & post appropriately to each individual .. thk you.

Not sure I can be a direct help to you on the Sauna, but would love to hear back from you if/when you find someone local; be great to have someone for that! I will however ask around on your behalf ..

Yes, I believe there is benefiit & opportunity with grey water systems
No, H20 filtration here would be a tough sell because we are blessed with good water here
Hmmm ... Not sure what you meant by "garden insulation" .. do you mean greenhouses, removable insulation "system" for plants, or ... ???

Thank you & Happy day!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:53 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
As far as green building. Advanced framing (OVE) helps a lot, although not many use it. Uses less materials, costs less, more efficient, just takes some relearning. I have been told by A Colorado architect who lives in a Zero Energy home that they can be built for 10 to 15 percent above normal construction.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM

36 posts, read 126,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
Reasonable cost is the key. There are green homes, but the prices are so removed from reality. BB has article today about home prices continuing to fall in Bend. Typical though, a quote from the RE industry saying the bottom has been reached [again].

Green building definitely costs more but this is a pretty extreme case. That house is FAR from your average green built home in terms of design, features and quality of finishes. Sustainable construction still has a long ways to go before it is prevalent in the general field. However, being ahead of the curve now will only benefit you when it does finally become the norm.

As a builder here in Portland what I see a MAJOR lack of is integrity, honesty and quality in the construction field. I believe that any company which truly sets their business model around those three principles will be more successful than their counterparts.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post

Reasonable cost is the key - I live in Shevlin Commons, two blocks from this house (it IS lovely and has won awards but this is about the third time on the market). Houses being built in this neighborhood are still being built green but they are smaller and more simple and therefore would be more representative of today's market than this example.

This community could really use a nice, large skating rink that could be used year round for both hockey and figure skating - I'm hoping Parks & Rec will consider one on the Mt. Bachelor parking lot they just bought. Budding Builder - maybe you could push on that one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend