Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 03:39 PM

150 posts, read 215,423 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be vacationing to Bend in the middle of September with our 5 and a half month old baby girl. We visited last summer and loved it, and are considering moving there from Seattle, but want to vacation there a few times first to be "surer" before taking the plunge.

So, we're obviously looking to have the best time possible (like any other vacation) and thought I'd ask in here about some of the best things to do/places to see in and around Bend. We were only there a couple days last time and just barely got our feet wet, but will be there a whole week this time and really want to experience all that Bend had to offer. We love to do outdoorsy type stuff, but are a little limited in that right moe due to the baby, but we're open to anything.

Any suggestions, or links to where I can find suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Many nice hikes and parks in and around town. Visit some of the parks like Big Sky to see the sports areas local families enjoy.

I would start with a hike or drive up to the top of Pilot Butte which gives a nice view of Bend.

Then a walk around Drake Park and Mirror Pond downtown.

Check out Bend's downtown and the Old Mill District.

Deschutes River Trail and Shevlin Park are beautiful and mellow hikes.

Tumalo Falls is a nice hike and very beautiful but more uphill hiking.

Maybe a drive to the Cascade Lakes?

The High Desert Museum is great for visitors interested in the history of the area.

I like to take visitors to the obsidian flow down at Paulina. Its always a big hit and I never get tired of it. Out of this world walking on trails of black volcanic glass. If you make it down that way check out Paulina Falls and maybe a hike along Paulina Creek.

End the day in one of Bend's many breweries.

If you have time maybe a trip to Smith Rock.

If you want to evaluate the Bend mtn biking trails one of you could take the baby to a park or for some shopping while the other rents a bike from Pine Mountain Sports or one of the many other bike shops around town and hit the Phils Trail network.

Last edited by BendLocal; 08-22-2013 at 05:17 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 09:23 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Drive out to the Lakes and up toward Redmond. Take a drive down to Prineville and through Sun River. Better yet make a run over to Sisters.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Take a drive down to Prineville and through Sun River.
Prineville is N of Bend and Sunriver is S so you may be thinking of a different town?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:29 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Drive out to the Lakes and up toward Redmond. Take a drive down to Prineville and through Sun River. Better yet make a run over to Sisters.
Cascade Lakes? Those are west. Sunriver is not on the way to Prineville either.

Anyhow - with a little one I would suggest staying in an area that is really close to a lot of restaurants/parks/shops, etc. i would suggest the Hilton Garden Inn in the Old Mill District. It sits right on the Deschutes river and you have fantastic views of the cascade range (get a river view). You can walk to the river, the shopping at the outdoor mall below, restaurants, walking paths and there are two playgrounds within walking distance. This is a good spot to check out local neighborhoods that are popular here like River Canyon Estates and River Rim.
The other place I would stay is at the Oxford in downtown Bend. Same thing - you can walk to shops, parks, restaurants, etc. Cool neighborhoods closer to this area to check out for houses are NW Crossing, Broken Top, West Hills.
Things to do and see: Cascade Lakes/Elk Lake/Bachelor, Sisters (day drive), walk the trails along the river, Smith Rock just outside of Terrebonne (with a baby though that makes for a long day), Sunriver.
Check out the city of Bend website to see if any concerts or festivals are coming thru too, seems like there is always one going on

Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 AM

150 posts, read 215,423 times
Thanks for all the quick replies. We love hiking, and just got to go on our first one in months, so we'll definitely plan on a few of those. We were planning on Smith Rock, but we'll check out a few of the others mentioned too. Sounds like a trip to at least one lake is probably in order and those volcanic glass rock stuff sounds interesting. We're staying in a little house just a couple blocks from downtown, so we'll definitely hit up that area a few days probably so the wife can do done shopping

Any restaurants that are great that might be a little obscure or not as popular, but have good food? We went to Deschutes Brewery, and a really good Mexican place up by NW crossings (I think) but would love to try a few different ones too.

Thanks again!! We're looking forward to it!

Old 08-23-2013, 09:27 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener_Pastures View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies. We love hiking, and just got to go on our first one in months, so we'll definitely plan on a few of those. We were planning on Smith Rock, but we'll check out a few of the others mentioned too. Sounds like a trip to at least one lake is probably in order and those volcanic glass rock stuff sounds interesting. We're staying in a little house just a couple blocks from downtown, so we'll definitely hit up that area a few days probably so the wife can do done shopping

Any restaurants that are great that might be a little obscure or not as popular, but have good food? We went to Deschutes Brewery, and a really good Mexican place up by NW crossings (I think) but would love to try a few different ones too.

Thanks again!! We're looking forward to it!
Zydeco
Brother John's (lunch)
Drake
Pine Tavern (classic Bend restaurant on Mirror Pond)
Brickhouse (steaks)
Tetherow golf course restaurant
Mc Kay Cottage (breakfast)
Pilot Butte Drive In (lunch)
10 Barrel
Ariana (spendy)

A good day trip is up to the Cascade Lakes. You can just drive around to any of the lakes you see, stop and hike or hit up Elk Lake and rent kayaks or canoes. They have a restaurant and lodge up there too right on the lake. Bachelor also has some activities on the mountain and a restaurant at the Pine Marten Lodge.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:28 AM

Last day of summer season lift rides at Bachelor is -

Quote:
Summer Chairlift Operating Hours

Open every day, seven days per week - July 4, 2013 through September 2, 2013
Some of the best food in town is found at

Trattoria Sbandati | Juri Sbandati

and

Bend's best dining experience | Ariana Restaurant

Steaks (My favorite steak is a filet special served at Trattoria Sbandati with the ribeye at the Blacksmith coming in 2nd). Be aware that the Blacksmith has live music on some nights. Best to call first if you want a quiet dining experience.

Bend Oregon Restaurant - The Blacksmith Steakhouse, Bar and Lounge

Best Pizza

Pizza Mondo, Voted Bend's Best Pizza for 15 Years in a row - Bend, Oregon 541-330-9093

Best margaritas and Nouveau Peruvian Cuisine (Eastside location is great - haven't tried the others)

Hola! Oregon

Great Burgers and Fish n Chips

West Side | Pilot Butte Drive-In

Home made chocolates and scrumptious deserts including chocolate fondue!

Bend d'Vine Chocolate Café & Wine Bar - Bend, Oregon

Breakfast and lunch favorite for my family

:: CHOW :: Breakfast and Lunch :: Bend, Or ::

Old 08-23-2013, 12:05 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
I've had several friends with new babies visit us in Bend over the last few years. Usually we end up going to Deschutes because it's big and usually has tables earlier in the evening. It's a lot harder to go to places like Brother John's or 10 Barrel due to the crowds and limited seating. Both places are pretty loud. While I love going there, our friend's with babies don't enjoy waiting almost an hour for a table.

Quite a few fine dining options have been suggested. I'm not sure I would want to take a baby to those establishments either. Of course, I'm not a general fan on the fine dining here as they are very expensive and not in our budget.

Hola's is a great suggestion, especially the east side location because it tends to be less crowded but still amazing food.

The hikes suggested as well as a drive to Elk Lake, are all great too. While the food at Elk Lake is on the expensive side for what it is (bar food), the scenery is nice and it would be great to do with a family.

I'd probably skip the High Desert Museum at this time, unless you and your wife are really interested. While it's a neat place, a 5 month old probably won't appreciate it. There's not a ton to do for babies there. It might be better to visit it on a later visit when the baby is a little older.

The Deschutes River trail is a great place to go for an afternoon hike and it's close to town. You can go as far as you want and in September the vegetation along the river will be changing a bit. You might also check out Shevlin Park for the same reasons. It's also very close to town.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:12 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Prineville is N of Bend and Sunriver is S so you may be thinking of a different town?

I was. La Pine. But Prineville is cool too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend