Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:17 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
Given the crimes that are common in Bend I'm doubtful the police would agree with your idea of leaving door, bike, and car unlocked. Sounds like you are pushing your luck believing theft won't happen to you.

Bike thefts are common.

Bend Police Concerned About Bike Theft
I never said I didn't believe theft won't happen to me. Please read what I wrote. Theft is just an almost none-concern compared to what I moved from. That doesn't mean I am not cautious and I am certainly not stupid about the 'issue'. In fact, I'd imagine I am more cautious than the average Bendite due to my past conditioning.

I do not want to encourage theft, but you can go up and down my block and see loose bikes and, likely, unlocked back doors. Not to say this is 'right', but it is the way it is around here due to the low crime rate and strong sense of COMMUNITY comparably speaking. This will lead to, as your statistics rightly show, theft as the broken glass theory shows, even none-criminal leaning minds, when given such an easy opportunity to steal without much risk or consequence, will act on 'thievery' and other none-violent, and even in some areas violent, crimes.

Last edited by kapetrich; 05-18-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 12:25 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I never said I didn't believe theft won't happen to me. Please read what I wrote.
I read what you wrote which is that you are leaving door, bike, and car unlocked. Doesn't that imply that you don't think you will be a victim of theft?

There is a good reason why the Bend police wanted to educate the public about properly locking bikes!

Does Bend Have a Bike Theft Problem?

Quote:
Of the 605 thefts mapped,
here’s where they occured:

Section of Bend.......# of Thefts
NW.............................224
NE..............................201
N...................................4
S...................................9
SE................................85
SW...............................72

Old 05-18-2014, 12:27 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I read what you wrote which is that you are leaving door, bike, and car unlocked. Doesn't that imply that you don't think you will be a victim of theft?

There is a good reason why the Bend police wanted to educate the public about properly locking bikes!

Does Bend Have a Bike Theft Problem?
"I CAN" leave my back door open, bike free and car unlocked. In Baltimore, where I moved from, you CAN NOT do this. NEVER. As you WILL, with certainty, get robbed. In Bend it is a possibility to do this, but, again, not a smart move no matter where you live as you're asking for it no matter the lack of crime.

Sorry, Delta. I hope this gets cleaned up.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
"I CAN" leave my back door open, bike free and car unlocked. In Baltimore, where I moved from, you CAN NOT do this. NEVER. As you WILL, with certainty, get robbed. In Bend it is a possibility to do this, but, again, not a smart move no matter where you live as you're asking for it no matter the lack of crime.
I see what you are saying because you are comparing to Baltimore. But given the crime stats for Central Oregon I think that it is risky to leave garage, bike, and car unlocked. That is what caught me as surprising about your earlier comment.

Bike theft in particular received a lot of buzz over the last few years. One year it jumped by something like 30%!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
After looking at the raids map more closely, it seems there's a ton of petty crime and property crime in Redmond much more than an average community,, and relative to Bend many more drug violations.
Maybe I am using the RAIDS map incorrectly because I am getting a conflicting result.

Looking at a date range of 1 year I get

Bend and surrounding area -

330 drug violations

2369 burglary, theft, fraud related reports

Redmond and surrounding area -

165 drug violations

1083 burglary, theft, fraud related reports

Last edited by BendLocal; 05-18-2014 at 01:57 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 02:11 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Let's please keep the argumentative nature this thread is heading into down, or I will close the thread.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:00 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
I was speaking proportionally. Redmond has 27,000 people. Bend 79,000.

Quote:
Bend and surrounding area -
330 drug violations

2369 burglary, theft, fraud related reports

Redmond and surrounding area -

165 drug violations

1083 burglary, theft, fraud related reports
For the burglary, theft, fraud category - In per capita terms Redmond is about 37% worse.

In the drug category - about 45% worse.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
I think the OP asked about Redmond, not Bend.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:55 AM

479 posts, read 802,155 times
As a police officer for 28 years in the 2nd largest city in California (and the original "meth capital" of the US), I can tell you that the property crime you see in Redmond is pretty standard pretty much anyplace...and especially in an area with a copius amount of narcotics issues. Narcotics users frequently steal whatever they can get their hands on and then sell it for 10% of it's actual value in order to have $$ to feed their addiction.

I worked in our beach area for 20 years and vehicle burglaries was far and away our #1 crime issue. Why? Because like somebody else posted, people CONSTANTLY leave personal items in plain view. I've taken reports for vehicles broken into for spare change, Thomas Guide mapbooks or a pack of cigarettes. Theives are opportunists so anything you can do to secure your belongings is going to help lower the crime rate.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:24 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rider View Post
As a police officer for 28 years in the 2nd largest city in California (and the original "meth capital" of the US), I can tell you that the property crime you see in Redmond is pretty standard pretty much anyplace...and especially in an area with a copius amount of narcotics issues. Narcotics users frequently steal whatever they can get their hands on and then sell it for 10% of it's actual value in order to have $$ to feed their addiction.

I worked in our beach area for 20 years and vehicle burglaries was far and away our #1 crime issue. Why? Because like somebody else posted, people CONSTANTLY leave personal items in plain view. I've taken reports for vehicles broken into for spare change, Thomas Guide mapbooks or a pack of cigarettes. Theives are opportunists so anything you can do to secure your belongings is going to help lower the crime rate.

Exactly why I said it was Meth Crime, but the numbers I am seeing put Redmond pretty high per capita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend