Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite part of Bend/Redmond
Downtown Bend 1 16.67%
Old Mill District 0 0%
Pilot Butte 0 0%
other (explain) 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:41 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Good point, I "hear" you on that Delta, I recall summer of 2012 when we were renting a place on the river off NW Riverfront St that noise of bands coming from the Galveston direction, though it was far enough not to bother us sitting outside or sleep.

As long as I am a few (3 or 4) blocks away I don't think it would be an issue for me? It would be part of the trade off of living close to places I could walk or bike to in a few minutes.

I know there have been several news stories this year about noise levels and curfews so I am sure it is an issue for some.

I still view it as mostly "quiet" residential a short distance from Galveston. I think areas near Newport Ave would be quieter than Galveston St? When the time is right I guess we will find out?

Everyplace has it's own sounds, it is very quiet where I live now but there is a loud, fast moving train less that 1/4 mile away that comes through around 3am every night. I never hear it anymore unless I happen to be awake, first week living here it would wake me.

Ironically there were times at the extremely isolated WV place that we sold earlier this year that the sounds of mice and squirrels running on the roof!, coyotes, cicadas, birds, (always loud whippoorwill's and wood peckers) right outside my window that would wake me. And that noise would often peak in the middle of the night, there were no sound regulations there. Have you ever tried to sleep 20' from whippoorwill's? Honestly I hope I never hear them again.

Certainly everyplace has it's pro and cons, comes down to lifestyle choice, for me after 43 of 47 years living in the country I am ready to live closer to food, services and entertainment.

And another wonderful thing about Bend is wilderness and open spaces are just a short drive away.
Absolutely! It seems like you have a good idea of what to expect. I have many friends who live in that neighborhood and they all love the vibrancy of it. I would probably be okay with it, but my husband wouldn't (and he's the musician, go figure). I also don't like the smaller lots because I have two big dogs and a big garden, so that's the trade-off for us. We live a whole 2 miles from downtown and another mile or so to my favorite part of town. Easily bikeable, if we want, and we get the best of both worlds, in our world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I really like both Galveston and Newport too. Also, Tin Pan Alley with Lone Pine Coffee and the Tin Pan Theatre....plus, all our parks.

I'd agree with Delta and others. The Old Mill is absolutely beautiful setting. It's what 'Bend' is all about. Right on the river with mountain views all within a very well done redevelopment, but I'm not big on the chain stores down there. I very much lean toward Galveston/Newport with all their locally owned restaurants, bakeries, coffee roasters, stores and other businesses....and now that that little area near 10 Barrel/Baked/Brother Johns/etc. has the food pod.....it's almost too much

I also really like snownuts favorite portion of Bend just there near Ariana's, local butcher/produce, growler fill station alllll literally right next to a private community garden with chickens. That's very Oregon/Bend.

As for noise, just depends what you're use to. I live right near Chow off Newport. On the weekend they start their live music at 10am which at times can be annoying, but in reality it makes me feel like I'm living in a vibrant area. The city and the residence between Portland and just past Galveston seem to be going through some growing pains with noise ordinance. The biggest issues is residence who moved to this area 20 years ago (or have lived there for-ev-er) and do not like how 'urban' it is turning with live music, pedestrians and cars. Personally, though, if I lived outside of town or even farther off either of these roads I'd feel too isolated. I actually really like that people are constantly parking near my house/walking by it. Any way about it, the city seems to have sorted it out with residence for the time being.....

As for parking downtown, etc....I'd agree, but only because I'm use to Bend now. It's like when I get frustrated with our traffic here, aka I'm waiting behind 4 cars at a stop sign during rush hour. In all reality the parking is NEVER bad and you can always find a spot somewhere. I went downtown for dinner this Friday night forgetting it was a First Friday. Found a spot on my 2nd lap and that's one of the busiest times down there. That's rare, normally I find a spot pretty much right away unless there's a special event.
Haha, the traffic comment is a good one! I always have to check myself when I start complaining about Bend traffic (or my husband).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 11:54 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
The biggest cost of visiting the lakes is probably gas. Round trip from Bend to Elk Lake is about 64 miles. My favorite time for visiting the lakes is summer because it can be warm enough to sample the cold water.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Absolutely! It seems like you have a good idea of what to expect. I have many friends who live in that neighborhood and they all love the vibrancy of it. I would probably be okay with it, but my husband wouldn't (and he's the musician, go figure). I also don't like the smaller lots because I have two big dogs and a big garden, so that's the trade-off for us. We live a whole 2 miles from downtown and another mile or so to my favorite part of town. Easily bikeable, if we want, and we get the best of both worlds, in our world.

Haha, the traffic comment is a good one! I always have to check myself when I start complaining about Bend traffic (or my husband).
i'll be honest and i'm not being funny lol, but I visited Seattle, somewhere that I'd love to live with a passion, and to me it seems traffic is worse in Bend, or can be.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
i'll be honest and i'm not being funny lol, but I visited Seattle, somewhere that I'd love to live with a passion, and to me it seems traffic is worse in Bend, or can be.
I lived in Seattle for a while and I can tell you without question, that traffic there absolutely sucks! It is nothing like Bend. Never once have I sat in standstill traffic in Bend, without reason such as an accident, for almost an hour to get 10-15 miles. That was a regular thing on my relatively short commute.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 PM

I almost never find a downtown parking spot without multiple laps on a summer weekend evening. Traffic is relative to what you are used to. Its gotten worse over the last ten years.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
I haven't had a chance to fully explore many of the areas outside of Bend, the Cascade Lakes sound amazing, I do love water. I will have to check that area out... Any specific recommendations to that area? and pricing to get in? is it a park?
Better go soon. It's September already and Century Drive will be closed by snow pretty soon.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:19 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Quote:
Don't know where you visited, but on a whole and as a rule this is just not the case. I'm sure there are pockets of tranquility, though.

If you end up moving to Seattle the traffic will be a daily issue especially if you have even a small rush hour commute.

Bend truly does not have much traffic at all when comparing it to any mid-major, Seattle or otherwise. Not trying to be a jerk, but it's honestly not even worth comparing and anyone who's lived in a mid-major knows what I'm talking about.

Last edited by kapetrich; 09-08-2013 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Don't know where you visited, but on a whole and as a rule this is just not the case. I'm sure there are pockets up tranquility, though.

If you end up moving to Seattle the traffic will be a daily issue especially if you have even a small rush hour commute.

Bend truly does not have much traffic at all when comparing it to any mid-major, Seattle or otherwise. Not trying to be a jerk, but it's honestly not even worth comparing and anyone who's lived in a mid-major know what I'm talking about.
I may have exaggerated, but there are times when i've been on why 97 with an endless line of cars in front of me or behind me lol. I also admit to have used the transit system while in seattle so I didn't notice the traffic. Used the light rail link and the monorail.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:22 PM

I paddled a canoe around Hosmer and it was awesome. Absolutely beautiful up there.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,678 times
Anywhere South or West of Mt. Washington / Cascade Lakes Highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend