Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM

4 posts, read 10,351 times

Advertisements

We are new to Bend and are looking for a high quality dog boarding facility. I have heard horror stories about some of the well known kennels (lost dogs, etc...) and am hoping to get some new ideas. I would also love a recommendation of anyone who is a reliable house/pet sitter.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:32 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
I've used Dog Boarding Bend Oregon | Pet Paradise twice and have been pretty happy with them. They're cheap and my husky always comes home extremely exhausted.

It doesn't seem to be the cleanest place in the world, though. My dog needs a bath when I pick her up and the facility smell like dogs, but they board dogs so that kind of makes sense.....very off putting at first though.

Oh...and they have a ton of running/play space and it seems like if your dog is well socialized they just let them play all day! Camden actually loves going there....

Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I've used Dog Boarding Bend Oregon | Pet Paradise twice and have been pretty happy with them. They're cheap and my husky always comes home extremely exhausted.

It doesn't seem to be the cleanest place in the world, though. My dog needs a bath when I pick her up and the facility smell like dogs, but they board dogs so that kind of makes sense.....very off putting at first though.

Oh...and they have a ton of running/play space and it seems like if your dog is well socialized they just let them play all day! Camden actually loves going there....
Things are happening quickly in our plans to move to Bend. Almost too fast for me to keep up

Appears we may be doing an expensive short term (3 to 5 months) housing while we wait for completion on our new build. The first couple inquires say no to any pets.

Anyone else chime in on long term dog boarding? The place mentioned above concerns me.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:51 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Things are happening quickly in our plans to move to Bend. Almost too fast for me to keep up

Appears we may be doing an expensive short term (3 to 5 months) housing while we wait for completion on our new build. The first couple inquires say no to any pets.

Anyone else chime in on long term dog boarding? The place mentioned above concerns me.
Honestly, at this point, I don't board my dogs at all. I haven't found a facility that has been acceptable. Plus my dogs are just getting too old anymore and don't want the social interaction with other young dogs, so we have a house sitter. I would encourage you to keep looking as I can't imagine the cost of boarding an animal for 3-5 months. What about a vacation rental home or extended stay hotel? Do any of those accept pets? I can't imagine boarding my babies while I was living in the same town. That would break my heart.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Honestly, at this point, I don't board my dogs at all. I haven't found a facility that has been acceptable. Plus my dogs are just getting too old anymore and don't want the social interaction with other young dogs, so we have a house sitter. I would encourage you to keep looking as I can't imagine the cost of boarding an animal for 3-5 months. What about a vacation rental home or extended stay hotel? Do any of those accept pets? I can't imagine boarding my babies while I was living in the same town. That would break my heart.
Well that is depressing, but honest. yes it would be weird going to visit Kodi everyday while living in the same town! Our other option is to leave him with our friends here in VA who always watch him while we travel. That would be crazy too but perhaps the easiest solution since they really love having him. I would see him probably once a month when I would be flying in to manage and check in on the many projects I have going here in VA.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Ask your builder which real estate agents he has worked with and try to get a foot in the door with a realtor that way. A big real estate company may well know of a client who might be looking for someone to do a short term rental and you are more likely to get something like pets approved through that direction, and the referral from someone they know well will do more than just a cold call from you.

Alternately, I'd go through VRBO - some of the vacation rentals will take longer-term renters plus pets. It'll be more expensive than a "regular" rental, but maybe not by that much. Plus it will come furnished.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,697 times
I hope you can find a rental that will allow you to have Kodi with you. But if not and you have the option to leave him with friends..... that is hands down your best option..... Rentals are very hard to find here..... Especially for a short term renter....... and with a pet only makes matters even harder.

BTW..... I have a Golden Retriever..... her name is Koda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Well that is depressing, but honest. yes it would be weird going to visit Kodi everyday while living in the same town! Our other option is to leave him with our friends here in VA who always watch him while we travel. That would be crazy too but perhaps the easiest solution since they really love having him. I would see him probably once a month when I would be flying in to manage and check in on the many projects I have going here in VA.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:33 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
Another thought is to check with the Vet and see if they have any private sitters. My wife actually does that here in Colorado, and is referred by a Vet.

BTW Skypros and Snownut. We can put your dogs with mine (Kenai) and have our own KKK. EEK!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Ask your builder which real estate agents he has worked with and try to get a foot in the door with a realtor that way. A big real estate company may well know of a client who might be looking for someone to do a short term rental and you are more likely to get something like pets approved through that direction, and the referral from someone they know well will do more than just a cold call from you.

Alternately, I'd go through VRBO - some of the vacation rentals will take longer-term renters plus pets. It'll be more expensive than a "regular" rental, but maybe not by that much. Plus it will come furnished.
This is really great advice! I didn't even think to ask the realtor, but many can help you in terms of rentals too. I also think the vacation rental agencies are good options. Another one to check in Airbnb. I've found quite a few homes to rent on the coast through them and actually had one that was willing to accept 4 dogs for our vacation (my two labs and my parent's two goldens).

You might also put an ad on Craigslist in the housing wanted section. The fact that you are willing to pay extra for your pet might really help you out. You never know.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:04 AM

Good advice from everyone. Thank you all for the excellent ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend