Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times

Advertisements

Figured I'd start a fresh positive thread so here I am!

I'll start:

Yesterday, I woke up to a rainy day in Bend, but was able to drive 20 mins up to Mt. Bachelor to an absolute white out Blizzard with more fresh snow than I knew what to do with. The snow was heavier than the last few storms, but there's nothing like not having to shovel out of my driveway in the morning to hit a powder day.

This entire weekend looks like it'll be the same, too.

To me, as an avid skier, this is one of the more unique aspects to Bend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 06:21 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Yeah the easy drive to Bachelor is great. BTW I think you caught the best day of this storm. The snow up there today was the stuff people call sierra cement or cascade concrete. Hard work even with fat skis. I heard the snow yesterday wasn't as heavy, bummer that I had to work. Being close to all the trailheads is another fantastic benefit of living in Bend.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 AM

150 posts, read 215,423 times
I can already tell this thread will make me jealous every time I read it looking forward to hearing all the great things we have to look forward to once we make the move!! (And I bet a few of them will be new things I don't already know)

Old 02-16-2014, 11:14 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
For me, Bend is unique in that it has a great sense of community. I've lived in quite a few places that are similar in size to Bend (or smaller) and Bend really wins us over in this regard. We've made more friends in our 5.5 years living here, than anywhere else besides college.

The music scene in Bend is pretty special too. For a town of this size, not close to a major interstate, we get some pretty good bands coming through. We also have a great local music scene. Since my husband is a musician, this is very important to us.

of course, it goes without saying that the outdoor access and scenic beauty here in Central Oregon makes Bend pretty special too!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
When we were looking for a place to move to, a search brought up Bend. We checked it out and loved it. Then we spent a year looking elsewhere, using Bend as a Barometer. Nowhere could match it.

Can't wait.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:02 PM

150 posts, read 215,423 times
Whirnot: we can't wait either, we've fallen in love too. When are you planning on moving?

Old 02-17-2014, 03:01 PM

722 posts, read 1,353,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
When we were looking for a place to move to, a search brought up Bend. We checked it out and loved it. Then we spent a year looking elsewhere, using Bend as a Barometer. Nowhere could match it.

Can't wait.
Whirnot, We have a similar story, did not not even even know about Bend just a few years ago.

I have looked and looked to find a place with that matches Bend. I haven't yet and just eliminated the last location I was considering.

I plan to write more later.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:44 PM

How much of Bend's uniqueness is due to population size? Isn't part of the uniqueness getting outdoors and away from the crowds?

kapetrich, in the future if your 20 mile drive to Bachelor takes an hour plus due to increased traffic on powder days does the uniqueness still hold?

Last edited by BendLocal; 02-17-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 07:37 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
For me Bends relative size is one of the reasons I'm here. It's bigger than your average 'mountain town' giving it more culture, things to do and bit more anonymity comparably. So for me, Bends larger population is one of the things that makes it unique and exactly what I was looking for.

I think it really depends where you're comparing Bend to. From where I came the uniqueness holds getting to the outdoors and away from the crowds. That IS the reason I'm here. If you're from a smaller place than Bend I guess this perspective would be different, naturally, but that list is fairly short given the access to outdoors year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
kapetrich, in the future if your 20 mile drive to Bachelor takes an hour plus due to increased traffic on powder days does the uniqueness still hold?
Sure, it would change? Why wouldn't it. A big reason I didn't move to the front range of Colorado. But, as a local, that is extremely far off. Last Thursday was a huge powder day and there was like 45 people on the mountain. Plus, after Xmas/New Years only THE holiday weekends would I consider crowded, but I avoid them like the plague which is ironic because they're really not even that bad comparably. This will continue to hold true due to our relative isolation. Our largest Metro that feeds us is just over 3 hours away, Portland. Then 5 plus, Seattle, then 9 plus, SF.

Also, the PNW doesn't get powder days like most of the rest of the nation. We get MANY more, most years anyway, which spreads things out more imo...along with our ski season being, literally months longer. So, if you're a local and you know it's presidents day weekend, like this last one, you might say, hey, I'll wait till the next powder weekend that's not on a Holiday. The issue arrises when you have pent up locals who've experienced a dry year coupled with a holiday weekend that gets all of the snow. That's what seems to create the most crowds.

'nother hijack.

Last edited by kapetrich; 02-17-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
From where I came from the uniqueness holds getting to the outdoors and away from the crowds. That IS the reason I'm here.
Same here. But some popular summer hikes are already so packed they feel like a trip to Yosemite! This summer I had to got farther out to get away from the crowds. Winter is very much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
But, as a local, that is extremely far off.
With all the publicity boosted by the viral catalyst of social media I am not so sure about that. 10 years ago we could hit a big pow-day midweek and have fresh tracks all day. Now the local pow hounds cut it to shreds in 3 hours or less. And during the peak season the bike trails have become a bumper to bumper dust bowl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend