Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times

Advertisements

I feel that many people here are happier than average because out of the 80k residents 50k of them made extremely conscious decisions to move here based on their preference, value systems, quality of life etc. There is a difference between living somewhere because you HAVE to or because you have no other option and that of making a purposefully and conscious choice to be somewhere.

That said, people here are often overly happy about living here. Either to overcompensate and justify their choice, or because they really are new and just love themselves for making the move. Both are fine with me, but get tiring.

Basically what I'm saying is most people are new here and those new people WANT to be here. They wouldn't have moved to such a remote location if they didn't.

Also, like oregonwoodsmoke pointed out, it's Oregon where there is a very strong sense of community and friendliness in the culture. If you made the conscious choice to move here you likely researched the prevailing culture and feel a strong kinship to it. Feeling like you finally 'belong' somewhere or having a 'place' and/or 'role' within a community makes you feel loved/accepted and needed (Gang/fraternal research is a good example) especially when the place you moved from had a prevailing quality of life that you did not feel aligned with your value system.

Last edited by kapetrich; 04-23-2014 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I feel that many people here are happier than average because out of the 80k residents 50k of them made extremely conscious decisions to move here based on their preference, value systems, quality of life etc. There is a difference between living somewhere because you HAVE to or because you have no other option and that of making a purposefully and conscious choice to be somewhere.

That said, people here are often overly happy about living here. Either to overcompensate and justify their choice, or because they really are new and just love themselves for making the move. Both are fine with me, but get tiring.

Basically what I'm saying is most people are new here and those new people WANT to be here. They wouldn't have moved to such a remote location if they didn't.

Also, like oregonwoodsmoke pointed out, it's Oregon where there is a very strong sense of community and friendliness in the culture. If you made the conscious choice to move here you likely researched the prevailing culture and feel a strong kinship to it. Feeling like you finally 'belong' somewhere or having a 'place' and/or 'role' within a community makes you feel loved/accepted and needed (Gang/fraternal research is a good example) especially when the place you moved from had a prevailing quality of life that you did not feel aligned with your value system.
I thinkl you may have really nailed it.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I think you have to get outside of town to find the locals, but the newcomers seem to be pretty giddy about the place. It is a new Bend, and happiness seems to abound.
I think this is probably true to an extent, but I do have at least 4 friends off the top of my head that grew up here in Bend and they are all very happy to be here. I think they realize the gem that is Bend (and they still remember small town Bend) and that they don't have to leave family to live in such a beautiful place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post

Very well stated! Whenever I talk with friends and family that aren't happy about where the live, they feel like it's out of their hands because they have to live by family. When you feel obligated to do something you really don't want to do, it shows.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:09 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
The other side of the coin is that newcomers can also be the most unhappy when it turns out to be something other than the travel posters promised.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,902 times
People generally seem pretty happy and friendly here, since I moved here Dec 2012 i've seen smiles and been greeted by many. I also am very happy here. Live here is pleasant even the long cold winters.
Its so beautiful and scenic here with so much to do to get out in nature and unplug from the chaos.

in contrast i was in seattle a few weeks ago and experienced that infamous seattle freeze.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM

61 posts, read 90,806 times
Thank you Kapetrich for your wise words. I have been living for nine years in a place where I am very uncomfortable and I haven't been able to put my feelings into words. I find most people don't understand what I'm trying to say and can't relate. You have put it beautifully with your words "prevailing quality of life that you did not feel aligned with your value system".

I hope to some day be a citizen of Bend or close by, depending on how expensive your beautiful city becomes.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Like you said, it's all subjective. Central Oregon has some of the highest unemployment in the country for its size of population, at 9.9% for the Bend MSA according to the last BLS report, which puts it at 342 out of 372, or bottom 10%.

So maybe you just didn't see the unhappy people. I've rarely seen the kind of extreme wealth inequality like I see in Bend. Everywhere I know of that has such a bad economy does not have such high living costs. We have big city housing costs but no big city lifestyle, amenities, and certainly no big-city paying jobs. I mean, I make $50K here, but I might as well be making zero. What I make is not nearly enough to buy a decent house unless I can come up with a $75K or higher down payment.

Redmond has a meth problem, some of the highest meth use as a proportion of the population in the country. I'll just throw that out there.

It also has almost no cultural activities to speak of. Anything along those lines Central Oregon has is in Bend, which is limited. For cultural life in a town under 50,000, Ashland blows everyone out of the water.

So, if it were me, I'd consider the two Washington options, mainly because the economy is better there.
Now that is a detailed and information packed post!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:46 AM

150 posts, read 215,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
in contrast i was in seattle a few weeks ago and experienced that infamous seattle freeze.
Ahh, the good old Seattle Freeze,just another little reminder why we can't wait for our move to Bend. Great info in this thread!

Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Full disclosure: I'm one of the pessimists around here.

Like you said, it's all subjective. Central Oregon has some of the highest unemployment in the country for its size of population, at 9.9% for the Bend MSA according to the last BLS report, which puts it at 342 out of 372, or bottom 10%.

So maybe you just didn't see the unhappy people. I've rarely seen the kind of extreme wealth inequality like I see in Bend. Everywhere I know of that has such a bad economy does not have such high living costs. We have big city housing costs but no big city lifestyle, amenities, and certainly no big-city paying jobs. I mean, I make $50K here, but I might as well be making zero. What I make is not nearly enough to buy a decent house unless I can come up with a $75K or higher down payment.

Redmond has a meth problem, some of the highest meth use as a proportion of the population in the country. I'll just throw that out there.

It also has almost no cultural activities to speak of. Anything along those lines Central Oregon has is in Bend, which is limited. For cultural life in a town under 50,000, Ashland blows everyone out of the water.

So, if it were me, I'd consider the two Washington options, mainly because the economy is better there.
Depending on your credit and debtload, you could get a home worth about $175,000 - even perhaps zero-down.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:42 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Any part of the country will have people who are very happy with their choice. It will have another group who don't care. And there will be those who hate it.

Bend is not unique in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend