Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM

46 posts, read 199,987 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Bend to start a new job .Only problem snow and ice. Never drove in it . (never want to ). I would be living on the northeast side of town 5 or six blocks from work. What are the roads like to drive on Are they treated with de-icer etc. Someone be honest with me are there months and months of waking up to snow and ice on the roads in town.My husband thinks since the climate is dry with little rain you don't get alot of ice when temp drops below 32 ? What is it like to live on the north eastside. like any info on bend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 11:40 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am moving from Eugene area.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 AM

77 posts, read 464,471 times
Lived in Bend three winters, one had little snow and two had significant snow - 2003-04 December into Jan. there was snow and rutted ice in town for several weeks, I have photos of two feet of snow in my front yard lasting for about six weeks. The roads were very bad for that period, I recall rutted ice along most if not all major thoroughfares and the city not really doing a great job of clearing it. I ended up buying studded tires for my truck just to drive the mile and a half to work. Prior to getting the studded tires, I remember a terrifying drive to go skiing and back on Century Road up to Bachelor - never got out of second gear. That road is generally snow and ice - including black ice, the kind you can't really see - covered throughout the season to some extent - saw a fair number of flipped over SUVs from people driving too fast for conditions. The ice in the numerous roundabouts in Bend made for interesting driving too. As mentioned, some years there's not much snow while other years a lot. Also, beware shady areas on roads where tall trees prevent the sun from melting a section of road. The main snowline in the Bend area is around 4800 feet. Bend itself is around 3600 feet. The xc-ski snow parks start around 5000 ft (Meisner) and usually have many feet of snow while in Bend itself could be snow-free. It just depends on the weather that year. For the most part I wouldn't be overly concerned - just drive according to conditions. By the way, I live in Eugene too but I'm moving to Duluth, MN, after the first of the year. Good luck.

Last edited by buzzkirk; 11-01-2006 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-01-2006, 03:10 PM

291 posts, read 709,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxsixpack View Post
I am moving to Bend to start a new job .Only problem snow and ice. Never drove in it . (never want to ). I would be living on the northeast side of town 5 or six blocks from work.
In that case, buy a pair of cross-country skis, and pray for snow! Six blocks won't be enough to really have fun, but I'm sure you could find a longer way!

Seriously, buy one pair of warm boots and leave the car in the garage. Why would you drive 5 or 6 blocks?

Old 11-01-2006, 04:52 PM

Im laughing at your reply....... That is what I told my husband I want to buy a good pair of snow boots and take a nice walk. I will be working a graveyard shift. IS it SAFE to WALK AT NIGHT AND IN THE EARLY MORNINGS IN BEND or anywhere for that matter. I do have four kids and a husband that will be out on the roads too. My oldest will get his learning permit in Feb that is a scarry thought. Thanks for your reply.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:11 AM

28 posts, read 370,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkirk View Post
By the way, I live in Eugene too but I'm moving to Duluth, MN, after the first of the year.
Moving to Duluth, MN? Now there's where you're going to need more than studded tires for your truck!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:52 AM

12 posts, read 83,090 times
What kind of vehicle are you driving? Honestly it's the people in SUV's that scare me the most since they get a little fearless with the whiz-bang all wheel drive that it has. Bend is pretty safe and walking to work wouldn't be worrisome at all. Each winter there's a mad rush at the first snow to get studded snow tires on your vehicle. All you really need to get around is some common sense and to not be in a rush and you'll be okay.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:51 PM

I drive a van. With four kid's I have to have a six passenger vehicle. Honestly I was thinking about trading it in for an expedition.
I was wondering about the ice. Here in the Eugene area it ran's alot and if it drops below 32 you have a sheet of ice on the road. But we only have to deal with it a few times in the winter. Since Bend has such cool night's are you dealing with the ice all winter? Temp in Bend drop below 32 from (oct - ? ) I have heard you do not get as much ran in Bend? Is the snow more of a powder or wet snow?

Last edited by Boxsixpack; 11-04-2006 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend