Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,518 times

Advertisements

We will soon be moving to the Bend/Redmond area from Florida. We are a family of four, with two boys ages 13 and 9. My husband is already out there, the kids and I are waiting until the school year ends to make the move. My husband is currently staying in Redmond. We all spent the past summer there, and I did prefer the overall feel of Bend just a bit more than Redmond. My main concern is the schools...mainly middle and high schools. Is there a big difference in quality between the schools in Redmond vs the schools in Bend? I have researched online, but in my humble opinion, sometimes statistics don't give you the true story. I would like to get some opinions from people who are familiar with the schools. We're open to living in either city. Cost and employment is not a deterrent. Also, would one city be recommended over the other as far as being family friendly?

I appreciate any information and advice anyone is able to give! Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 01:19 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Bend has a lot more going on. Redmond is more of a bedroom community for people who work in Bend. Although, Redmond has recently had a lot of useful businesses open up, and some good restaurants, so it is turning into a better place to live; less sleepy than it used to be.

All the schools are perfectly fine for children who have parents who are actively involved in their children's education. If you make sure your child is making it to classes and doing their homework, the kids will be fine. If you don't know where your kids are or what they are doing or what is happening in their education, the kids might be fine, or they might not.

There are no slum druggy areas bigger than a square block in either town, so not enough bad kids to drag a school down. Pay attention to who your kids are hanging out with and that is a non-issue. teachers throughout the school districts tend to be very good quality. Good teachers move into the area for the lifestyle, so we get good teachers.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Not sure what part of Florida you're coming from, but the schools in Deschutes county are pretty good by national standards, especially southern state standards, in both Bend and Redmond. Bend is slightly better than Redmond but generally they're both good.

If you're really worried about college prep there are some private schools ie: Redmond Proficiency Academy which does a good job.

Both Bend and Redmond are family friendly - the biggest difference in my opinion will be how much you want to pay for a house. The nicest houses in Redmond are in the 400s while in Bend that much will get you only an above average house. Generally speaking you can add 30% to the sale price of whatever kind of house you're looking for in Bend vs. Redmond.

Bend is somewhat more walkable and bike-able than Redmond.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,004,546 times
The nicest properties in Redmond are in the million dollar range.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
The nicest properties in Redmond are in the million dollar range.
If you're talking about enormous new custom-made homes in eagle crest or places with significant acreage & they're mostly outside of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
View detailed profiles of: