Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 08:11 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,927,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post

A note on acreage - the way Oregon's land use laws are - acreage is not easy to come by unless you're buying a farm, and then it's very expensive because the farmers don't have high turnover, so when they sell it's to make a killing. 2-3 acres is an ENORMOUS lot around here.
I would have to disagree, if you don't mind getting outside of town a little. Near Sunriver there are a number of 15 acre lots about 150K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I would have to disagree, if you don't mind getting outside of town a little. Near Sunriver there are a number of 15 acre lots about 150K.
Ah I see. I was referring to acreage closer to town and nearer one of the bigger roads.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:37 AM

17 posts, read 40,819 times
I sent out a couple more resumes last night for technical work. Im not a huge fan of the highly sales driven copier industry.

Forgive me for this question as we didnt have a chance to drive into the mountains at all, but is it greener up there? We came into Bend from the South passing a very snowy drive up to Crater Lake, and left through the North pass in Redmond. Im just wondering what to do in Bend(or thereabouts) on a hot summer day to cool off. We dont spend much time sitting in AC now as we have Lake Michigan to cool off in.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 AM

722 posts, read 1,354,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikalalnr View Post
I sent out a couple more resumes last night for technical work. Im not a huge fan of the highly sales driven copier industry.

Forgive me for this question as we didnt have a chance to drive into the mountains at all, but is it greener up there? We came into Bend from the South passing a very snowy drive up to Crater Lake, and left through the North pass in Redmond. Im just wondering what to do in Bend(or thereabouts) on a hot summer day to cool off. We dont spend much time sitting in AC now as we have Lake Michigan to cool off in.
Many folks here do not have AC. Most nights are cool. There are cold rivers and lakes all around Bend. Yes is it much greener in the mountain areas but still a dry summer climate so dust is a fact of life here.

If you like humid, buggy (mostly seasonal near lake) and muddy then do not come here as that is the exception not the rule here.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:02 AM

431 posts, read 600,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
Many folks here do not have AC. Most nights are cool.
Just to add to this, we've lived in Bend for 12 years and I've never missed having AC in the house. Even on the 2 or 3 weeks in the summer when the temperatures are in the 90s, it gets down to high 40s/low 50s at night. It's due to the clear nights (very little cloud over the summer other than thunderstorms) and altitude. Also, the high desert has very low humidity, so night time is a lot more comfortable than a lot of places.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:06 AM

17 posts, read 40,819 times
Ill bet the stars are amazing

Old 04-30-2015, 02:06 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:

You go outside. It's cooler outside because it's a high desert - so the sun will bake your car or house but the air temp is actually not that warm. Once the sun starts to recede it cools down quickly. I'll sometimes arrange things so I don't get home until the sun is starting to go down because of that. After about an hour past sundown, the house starts to cool rapidly because the low temp at night can drop up to 40 degrees below the high the during the day, even in the summer. The house will be so cold even in summer mornings that the heat needs to be turned on. It will start to bake circa 2pm and stay a little uncomfortably warm until circa 7pm, then by 11pm be cold again.

Some people buy those indoor a/c units that run a hose out the window for the 4 hours a day, 2-3 months a year inside the house you actually need it. Newer properties built after 2000 or so are probably set up with a/c. If your house is well insulated and you have those thermal blackout curtains, you can open windows at night, close them around 9-10am along with the curtains, and you'd be surprised how cool the air will stay inside the house during the hot hours of the afternoon.

Last edited by redguard57; 04-30-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 04:20 PM

431 posts, read 600,126 times
Quote:
Ill bet the stars are amazing
In Bend itself, sadly not as much as they were. When we first moved here in 2003, the skies were really dark and transparent most of the time. The Milky Way really stood out and the Andromeda Galaxy was easy to see with the naked eye. As time's gone on, the people who have moved into the neighborhood feel the need to light up their driveways and front yards like Yankee Stadium on game night. Also, most of the newer "tract" neighborhoods that have been built are heavy on the street lights. All that said, a short drive out of town does give you some spectacular views.

Last edited by mrwibble; 04-30-2015 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 04:46 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,057 times
Quote:

This year may be an exception as we are in a pretty significant drought, but yes, the mountains are much greener. As you make your way over the Cascade Crest, the transition for mostly pine to hemlock, fir, ferns, etc. is very prominent. What I love about Bend is that I can access the mountains and cooler climate, lush forests, and high Cascade lakes in 20-45 minutes. It's also close enough to make a quick weekend getaway to the ocean. Growing up in CO, Bend is close enough to the coast for me!

Here's a great thread about swimming holes near Bend. The water is generally cold, but I rather enjoy it. //www.city-data.com/forum/bend/...ound-bend.html

Old 04-30-2015, 05:38 PM

812 posts, read 1,062,778 times
Quote:

Hey, if you run across high tech jobs for a senior mech engineer with tons of Solidworks experience, let me know.

The climate diversity available in short distance from Bend is phenomenal. We have been driving from Seattle via 26 and 97 and finally decided to take the extra 20 miles and come in via Sisters on 20. It was literally a completely different experience and even made Bend feel completely different. Lots of steppes/sage/desert coming in the last stretch on 97. Via Sisters, its a high Alpine experience right up to Bend. Santiam pass weather will probably be the main reason we would come in the Redmond side.

I have been noting how many trailheads and what kind of range of environments I can hit from Bend compared with the hour or two to get to the "good stuff" from Seattle. I was pleasantly surprised how much can be reached in a very short drive of pavement and forest dirt road.

I have a sister in Bend that I am visiting regularly. Its going to be a very long wait before I can move there permanently. My wife and I are more than a little stoked about moving there!

Our new neighborhood we are building in is the first time we have had to deal with CC&R's. That will be an adjustment. Plus side is they require outdoor lighting to be "down-lighting" only, to preserve dark skies. Sounds like that needs more of a push in Bend.

On the down side of CC&R's, we are required to have a front lawn. I find that absolutely shocking that Bend(high desert) isn't requiring new construction to be water efficient and at least require homeowners to be allowed to be lawnless, instead allows lawns as a requirement. I am bummed I can't do xeriscaping in the front yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend