Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 07:42 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,374 times

Advertisements

For those of you that are new to the area this is ice dam weather.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_dam_(roof)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 08:12 PM

812 posts, read 1,061,971 times
At least 12" of snow in northwest Bend at my house, on top of the snow that hadn't melted from the previous batch. Still not a trace of snowplows in the neighborhood. My biggest problem is finding a place in my small front yard to shovel the snow to, from my driveway and sidewalks. The limited space is starting to hit eye level heaps of snow, after a couple of sessions per day of shoveling.

I sort of hope we don't get plows now, after hearing the problem with plowing burying people's shoveled sidewalks and driveways.

I did see a Prius skiing on its skid panels through our streets at a pretty good clip about mid afternoon. I think they knew if they stopped of slowed, they would sink and that would be it. It was impressive because even some of the bigger 4wd were starting to slip if they stopped.

Someone was saying they just use a broom to keep their driveway clear. I wonder how that is working out? A snowblower was sounding like a nice option today for me.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
A snowblower was sounding like a nice option today for me.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 AM

12 degrees and close to 15" of snow. The snow is already compacting making the areas I couldn't get to yesterday harder to clear now.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:49 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,702 times
A rare sighting - a snowplow (actually a frontend loader) clearing our cul de sac here in Redmond at 7:30am. Looks like we got about a foot. Had to use a shovel (not the usual broom) to clear the 2' berm the plow created at the end of the drive, but our old Blazer pushed through the rest without even clearing the driveway. We used to get a storm like this once a week in Conifer Colorado.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 PM

812 posts, read 1,061,971 times
at least you got a plow on a residential street in Redmond.

Northwest Bend, at least 14 inches of snow on top of the unplowed few inches from a few days before and still no sign of plows. Even high clearance vehicles are having trouble getting in and out of the neighborhood without high centering on the deep ruts. Our 8 inch clearance subie couldn't get going after backing out and then trying to get going forward. Just floating on our skid pan. A neighbor gave a bit of a push, after we dug around the car for a bit, and that was enough to get me moving, but I just dove back into the driveway, as several other people almost got stuck as we were digging out our car.

Hopefully it will consolidate a bit by tomorrow.

home1300624snowgarbageCans by Thom I, on Flickr

home1300626snowFront by Thom I, on Flickr

I hear they are not plowing the center of the main roads either, so getting across the center to make a left turn out of or into our neighborhood has hung up a bunch of people too.

You are definitely on your own, when it comes to weather and the roads in Bend!

Old 12-16-2016, 07:46 AM

I've only lived in Redmond three years but I've never seen them do so much street plowing. I have a one story house but have a camera on the cheap weather station on the roof so I can see 19th street, a major north-south route. Yesterday I saw convoys of three plows go by at least three times and they seemed to have cleared most of the residential areas. They even had a bobcat clear the paths through Dry Canyon. Property taxes were up again this year, but it's nice to see them in use.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:08 AM

-8 forecast for the low tonight.

Would not surprise me to hear of a bunch of burst pipes with this long blast of cold weather.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:43 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
There are some good things about this weather. Its a long deep slog to my shed where my freezer is, so I am using the barbecue on the porch as a temporary freezer. Under the lid, I have frozen some tubs of dogs food and several bags of chicken thighs.

We call the garage "the big refrigerator" and it is useful during the holidays for cooling and storing food.

It's a very good time to be running the oven, so I am loading up on the home made dog food, oat bran muffins, chili, all sorts of things that I keep a store of in the freezer. I can bake them, place them outside to cool, bring them in and package them, and put them back out on the porch to freeze.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:34 PM

In Conifer we would hang the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys in the shed so they didn't take up room in the freezer. Storing beer there was not a good idea, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend