Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 07:46 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

We were in Costco, shopping for something else, when my son spotted USDA Prime ribeye roasts in the meat case. Oh, what the heck, it's a holiday, so he asked about getting a prime rib roast with the bones still attached and the butcher got one packaged up for him. It shot the heck out of the holiday budget.

Anyway. If someone wants a special holiday dinner, Costco is selling USDA Prime rib roasts. If you want bones still attached, just ask for it.

Next, we went to Cash and Carry to buy meat for the dogs and they had boneless rib roast for $6.68 a pound. I use rib steaks to make bolgogi (marinated Korean barbecue beef), so I bought one of those. Brought it home, sliced it into steaks and put it in the freezer. I carved off a little slice and seared that in a frying pan so we could taste, and it was quite good.

Cash and Carry sells two grades of beef. They sell Certified Angus, USDA choice grade and that's what I buy and it is always good. Then they sell beef that is not certified Angus that costs less and that is what the rib roast was: their non-Angus beef. I figured it wouldn't matter much since it will be marinated, but it is quite good, so some of it will end up as grilled rib eye steaks.

I've always bought a couple of rib roasts from Safeway at their Christmas sale, but this year, it is limit one, with a coupon, and a minimum purchase. So, that's the end of that.

(The dogs got certified Angus beef, top round for $2.17 a pound and the rest of the afternoon was spent grinding beef for dog food)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:54 AM

I should add this: if you do happen to be a Safeway shopper, the Safeway next to Costco has always sold an outstanding rib roast. Better than any other grocery store in the area. Whoever is managing their meat department there is on top of things.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:29 AM

812 posts, read 1,062,281 times
I haven't checked out "Cash and Carry", although it's pretty close to my house. Is is really "cash only" as the name implies? Or what is the deal at that place?

Old 12-20-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom52 View Post
I haven't checked out "Cash and Carry", although it's pretty close to my house. Is is really "cash only" as the name implies?........
Just about. Cash or credit card. You can pay with a check if you have a commercial account and use commercial checks. They don't take personal checks.

It is restaurant supply, not family supply, so everything is big. I buy yams there and they come in a 40 pound box. The round I bought for the dogs comes in 30-40 pound chunks. I bought a box and it weighed 86 pounds. The rib roast weighed 20 pounds, although usually they have smaller rib roasts. You should be able to find a 10 pound rib roast. Also, they sometimes put the rib roasts on special just before Christmas, so there might be a good bargain there in a couple of days.

It's a good place to buy vegetables. They sell out fast so supply is always fresh. It's a really excellent place to buy frozen goods. Restaurant quality heat and eat stiff beats the stuffing out of what you buy for your family at the grocery store. This is the stuff that you get served at nice restaurants, including fancy desserts.

The house brand is "First Street" and it is always good. It's an excellent place to buy cheese and bacon. There is a good selection of Asian groceries, including several kinds of fresh noodles.

I shouldn't be encouraging people to shop there. It is difficult enough to find a parking space without encouraging new customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend