Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,477 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am a new user in search of answers! My husband and I currently live in Florida and HATE it. We moved here temporarily and are desperate to get out. We can't stand the heat, humidity, congestion, "concrete jungle" atmosphere, lack of nature other than alligator infested swampland, and the schools are terrible. There are some decent nature preserves and parks, but its so hot, you don't even want to go outside. And who wants to go hike in 90 degree weather? Not me. We have 2 children (3 years and 6 months) and my husband is a teacher, so school quality is important to us. I am a registered nurse.

We crave woods, nature, fresh air, colder weather, SNOW, and what we view as a better quality of life for us and our kids. We have been looking at Oregon and Colorado for potential moves. We would not do Portland or Eugene as we don't want somewhere too liberal/left-sided. We have been considering Bend, but it looks to us like the job market isn't that great.

We would like other's opinions. We are looking for outdoors/nature/woods/mountains, cooler temps, good schools. We like a small-medium sized city that feel "homey", a cute downtown area, safe, lots of parks/activities for the kids. We have also looked at Colorado, but Denver and Boulder are out of our price range (no more than 1,400 or so for rent or 285k or so for buying) so maybe Ft. Collins?? Could really use some guidance on any who know these areas. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:00 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,929,994 times
For what it appears you are looking for Either Bend or Fort Collins should fit the bill. Fort Collins will have more jobs, but is also bigger and more congested. People that live in either place love it. I used to live near Fort Collins, and moved to Near Bend. If you are going to live in Fort Collins, you better not mind Wind!

Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 PM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
I don't think there is anywhere in oregon that doesn't get to 90 degrees or above. Even the coast can get that high.

Try Santa Barbara California.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:48 AM

740 posts, read 1,252,784 times
Median home price in Boulder is $692,000 and about as liberal an area as you will find.
We've only been here in central Oregon for a few years but Oregon is more of a purple state with Bend being younger and more liberal. So if the politics is important to you, you might look elsewhere.

We lived in Colorado for over 40 years and finally left because we got tired of the snow, although places to the south like Colorado Springs and Pueblo, and the west like Grand Junction get very little and are hot, but not humid. My wife has asthma, so altitude is a factor too. Home prices here are climbing rapidly - I believe median price in Bend is now $365,000 and it is very difficult to find places to rent.

Not to be discouraging (we love it here) but you should visit the area to see if it suits you.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,009,897 times
Bend has become a popular and expensive tourist town. Rentals are expensive and the competition for them is high. Jobs paying wages that support living here are hard to find. The winters are long and summers are short. This is a high desert area with large temperature swings. This wikipedia article says the annual min/max temps range from -24 to 102.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Desert_(Oregon)

Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 AM

812 posts, read 1,064,609 times
and Bend Local forgot to mention that Oregon schools are poorly rated. There are some nice private schools in town, but I am guessing they are pricey.

On the plus side, Bend hosts the major medical center for Central Oregon, which may make a nursing career easier. (or could still be highly competitive, like all the other jobs)
Construction jobs should be easy to get, especially with defined skills such as plumber or electrician. Heck, we are trying to get some very minor landscaping done and everyone is booked solid through next year.

Your rent/buy budget will put you out of Bend proper and more into something like La Pine or Redmond.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,636 times
While you may find the weather and outdoors amenities to your liking, the major hurdle you will find here is housing in your price range, and since there is only one hospital in Bend, you are going to have a tough time finding a nursing job here and positions are competitive and if there is anything, it is just on-call positions.. I know of quite a few unemployed nurses in Bend. Teaching positions are almost non-existent here for the school system.

I would not move to Bend without a job in place. It is not known for job opportunities.

You won't find housing in Bend for 1400 rent for your size of family. Studios here easily go for 1200 a month. Maybe you can You may be able to find housing in that range in Redmond or Prineville but that is a long drive (and roads are horrible in winter) and rent is skyrocketing out there. Our rental vacancy is less than 1% and as other posters have mentioned, your budget will not land you housing in Bend.

If you can get past the major MAJOR hurdle of landing a job and/or securing a housing, then Bend will be the great town for your family.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:48 PM

863 posts, read 2,995,997 times
Have you considered the Treasure Valley in Idaho? Boise/Meridian/Nampa/Caldwell?

I just moved to Bend and with connections found affordable housing, but without that help, I would never have been able to make it work. Boise has what you are are looking for and is a larger population and, as such, a much greater possibility for employment. There are 2 large hospital networks and affiliated clinics all over. Each town has its school district, and your husband would likely need to start in a smaller district and work into Boise or Meridian, if that's what he's interested in. Thing about the job market in Boise is that when people have good jobs, they tend to stay.

I haven't been watching the housing market lately, butI'd think you should be able to find housing in your budget in the West part of the valley (Nampa/Caldwell) or outskirts (Kuna/Middleton.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:12 PM

106 posts, read 68,693 times
if you still are seeking relocation, this community is rather on the small side though perhaps Oakridge may hold what you are searching for if you can compromise a little. Safe as you'll find, more affordable, about half an hour to "Eugene" for major shopping, fine schools, lovely environment around the area, lots more.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:06 PM

69 posts, read 87,129 times
Boise...No way, I'm here now and would like to move where there is less snow...less heat, we have been seeing 100 plus temps lately..

Housing has gone crazy.... avg new home price $280,000
3 bdm apt $1100 and up
2 bdm apt $1000 and up
1 bdm $900 +

Also read up here before you come... Idaho National Laboratory | Snake River Alliance

They have been dumping Nuclear Waste here in eastern Idaho for years...unlined pits etc.., Breast and Thyroid Cancer is high here
EX-Governor Ceil Andrus has sued them to stop bury the waste here...but it continues... We are looking to move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend