Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 05:10 PM

269 posts, read 297,839 times

Advertisements

So after contemplating for (years?), I opted to view the big Eclipse from the location of my first impulse, which was the Painted Hills.

I was prepared to improvise at 3:00 am on August 21, but nothing natural or man-made gave cause to deviate from my loose vision...

The forest rangers were great hosts and there was plenty of empty land available for all who arrived and for anyone who wished to be ‘alone’ for the important 2 minutes.

(and good move in putting the place right ON the center line!!)

I am especially proud this week of how August came together in Oregon for my having viewed Time Magazine’s Year in Review for 2017 and finding that the entire back cover and 2 pages inside were FILLED ENTIRELY by an awesome photo of ‘totality’ at the Painted Hills.

It was truly awesome to witness and central Oregon was there for me...

Why I even got a one-to-one tour of the Painted Hills WITH a geologist beginning soon after totality ended.

Oregon should be proud of such scenery!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 10:16 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,673,799 times
I went down for the eclipse and had a great time.

The predicted road back-ups were nowhere, got to Fossil at about 8am and only saw a handful of cars at the time. It got heavier later. Excellent view of the eclipse. Everyone left just minutes later, I waited a few hours, dug for fossils, ate icecream, but 95% of the traffic was heading north to leave while I was heading south/east to camp (passed a very long line of cars). Only thing ruined was the cloud overnight that robbed me of a great night sky unpolluted by city lights. Spent the next few days seeing the fantastic scenery at Clarno, John Day, and Painted Hills, everywhere that sold stuff was overstocked with eclipse t-shirts. Had a dip in the river.

By the third day, traffic was really light everywhere, campsites were mostly empty. I expect that a lot of the usual summer tourists stayed away due to the eclipse-ageddon that the media were predicting, so it was probably even emptier than normal (having never been there before, I couldn't say).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend