Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 05:37 PM

497 posts, read 484,232 times

Advertisements

I have been through the Bend area quite a few times but never made it out to Prineville. I have a friend that is working out there right now and I'm thinking about visiting him to get a look at the area. I'm sick and tired of the wet winters and would much prefer the drier climate (Don't mind snow, I actually prefer it). I would likely look for employment in Bend if I were to make the decision to move there. I spent a large portion of my adult life in the desert, so it really wouldn't be that great of a transition, other than the fact I haven't lived in a smaller town for a long time.

My questions:

Would there be any issues with a wintertime commute between Prineville & Bend?

How difficult is it to purchase land outside of town with water/electric easily available?

How hot is the average summer?

Are people generally friendly there?

Feel free to add any additional information that you feel is important. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 09:29 PM

541 posts, read 1,729,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I have been through the Bend area quite a few times but never made it out to Prineville. I have a friend that is working out there right now and I'm thinking about visiting him to get a look at the area. I'm sick and tired of the wet winters and would much prefer the drier climate (Don't mind snow, I actually prefer it). I would likely look for employment in Bend if I were to make the decision to move there. I spent a large portion of my adult life in the desert, so it really wouldn't be that great of a transition, other than the fact I haven't lived in a smaller town for a long time.

My questions:

Would there be any issues with a wintertime commute between Prineville & Bend?

How difficult is it to purchase land outside of town with water/electric easily available?

How hot is the average summer?

Are people generally friendly there?

Feel free to add any additional information that you feel is important. Thanks

Welcome!!!

To answer your first question it can be a hassle sometimes for sure with snow. I would be lying if I said there would not be delays. On a good day, the commute time from Prineville to the heart of Bend would be about an hour one way. It's a long commute.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

From about May September, the highs will be above 70. June-September expect daily highs in the 80s to 90s.

I think the people are friendly. Not go-to-you and strike up a convo, but if you get to know them, of course people will get to know you!

Prineville is a small town, and if you are fine with that, you might enjoy it. You might feel kind of isolated or trapped out there. There are no big box stores in Prineville, no Walmart, Fred Meyer, etc. So most big shopping for electronics, appliances, etc would need to be done in Bend. But local goods, groceries, can be found in town at one of the few grocery stores. I don't expect the local Sears to stay in business for long though.

My best advice is see what your friend thinks of the area too.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:44 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Prineville is snall. Elevation is lower than Bend and weather is drier and warmer with a longer growing season.

There is day to day shopping and a lot more shopping available in Redmond, which is closer than Bend. If you want Costco, you have to go to Bend, but Redmond has Walmart, Fred Meyers, several grocery stores, lowes, home depot, clothing and shoe stores, antique and quirky little stores for recreational shopping..

Prineville is looking prosperous, with new paint on businesses. Real estate is cheaper than in Bend. There are two lakes for boating and fishing. There is a new hospital.

Some people do commute to Bend. Dangerous snow on the highway tends to be south of Bend. Snow on roads between Prineville and Bend is passable if you know how to drive on snow.

There are jobs in Prineville and Redmond, for a shorter commute.

If you like Prineville and don't mind a commute to work, also look at Crooked River Ranch

Old 04-02-2018, 06:21 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
I like Prineville & would gladly live there... don't know if I'd want to commute though. The job in Bend and my house in Prineville would have to be really worth it

The problem with the Prineville-Bend commute is that it's fairly long - about 45 minutes in a best case scenario, more typically an hour. Even though it's not a high density of traffic - it's mostly a 2-lane highway, so if there's a tractor trying to make a left turn in front of you.... yeah, you just lost 5 minutes.

Like others have said, the winter drive would be passable in most cases, but any wintry conditions mean that people will be driving slower, so 60 minutes would be expected.

Redmond to Bend or Prineville is more tolerable.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,562 times
It really depends on the weather. A lot of people make the commute, it’s really not that bad of a drive and frankly it’s a beautiful drive. Just give yourself a little extra time when there is snow on the ground.

It’s not hard to buy land out of town. One option is the Powell Butte area (close to bend and Redmond). There is water there, though depending on location is may be deep. Power is usually not a big deal either, but may be easier to fine a lot that already has power/water. North of town is flatter, often irritated land. South of town is mostly the Juniper Canyon area which is covered in Juniper Trees making it private and a little cheaper for land.

Summers are what I would consider mild. Right now it’s in the mid-70s. Depending on what your used to it’s pretty mild, typically not hotter then the 80s though.

The people are extremely friendly. One thing that many folks don’t like is people who come to Prineville and want to make it just like Bend. Prineville is a small town, but has a little something for everyone. There are a lot of independent folks in Prineville who love their freedom. Prineville is really up and coming in a lot of ways, we have some awesome brewerys, coffee shops and other restaurants, a mtn bike shop, a awesome movie theatre, some really great little breakfast dinners, really interesting, unique boutiques, golf, fishing, hiking, rock climbing, boating you name it...

While there are not really any big box stores here, it’s kind of a good thing. We have several grocery stores, really your find that you only leave Prineville to go to a couple of places like Costco, everything else is easily bought here and if you were set on not leaving town you could buy everything you need in town.

Prineville is kinda a hidden gem right now. It’s close enough to have access to all the things bend and Redmond has to offer while still being a small great place to raise a family and enjoy a more relaxed speed of life.

There is a ton of construction going on and improvements to the town are going on all over the place. Prineville really suffered during the recession, but times are looking good. This article talks about it.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.bendb...nation%3famp=1

I think if you are interested in living somewhere that is affordable (compared to Deschutes), want easy access to a ton of outdoor activities, is family centered, has a slower more relaxed pace of life then Prineville is a good option. I’d just say if you decide to move, Prineville is still a conservative, freedom loving town and please don’t try to make it a mini bend or Portland!

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2018, 11:14 PM

497 posts, read 484,232 times
Thanks for all the replies. Didn't realize anyone had noticed my post, lol.
I like small towns, especially ones with plenty of outdoor recreation. I miss the slower pace and rural lifestyle as well. I'm very much a conservative and I don't want to live anywhere even slightly resembling Portland. Also, I don't mind a longer commute, I enjoy listening to the radio and looking at the scenery on the way. Will likely make the drive out there next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend