Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 01:18 PM

20 posts, read 55,456 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My boyfriend and I just spent the past four days in Bend and one day in Redmond. We went to Smith Rock, which was absolutely amazing, and to about twelve different breweries for the Ale Trail. Besides the Ale Trail, we really wanted to get a feel for Bend since we are interested in moving there next year.

One huge thing we both noticed: Bend and Redmond seem to have an odd rivalry with each other. People from both towns seemed to always have something negative to say about each other, but why?

Redmond's home prices are a lot more reasonable, but we both thought that it looked and felt a bit rundown. Bend is absolutely gorgeous, the traffic didn't seem bad at all, but rent and home prices are WHACK. Any suggestions from those with experience for a first time home buyer like me? We are really hoping to buy a home in Bend next year, we don't want to compromise for Redmond unless it's completely impossible to buy a home in or around Bend.

Salem is also up for consideration for us, if anyone has any information about it.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 06:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,129 times
Here's a recent sale in Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
This cute 1930s bungalow just sold at $445.54/sqft

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...80927962_zpid/

Listing Price was $289,900

Selling Price was $299,400
Your visit was during a quiet period when there are very few tourists in town. Visit during the winter or summer tourist season and it will feel different.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:09 AM

740 posts, read 1,249,737 times
We moved to Redmond about 6 years ago from Colorado and haven't noticed any rivalry with Bend. Redmond has fewer restaurants and outdoor festivals than Bend, but we enjoy the small town feel with little traffic. Weather is slightly better than in Bend. Downtown is still a work in progress, but Redmond has improved a lot in the short time we've been here. And the fact that the median home price is $150K lower than Bend gives a lot of people incentive to buy here rather than in Bend, even if they work there. Medical facilities are great here and there are enough big box stores for shopping. Bend is only 15 miles to the south, so it's a quick trip for events there.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:37 AM

740 posts, read 1,249,737 times
https://www.bendbulletin.com/localst...eds-state-rate

Old 11-12-2020, 11:56 AM

Update:

I've lived in Bend for about 7 months now and absolutely love it here! The amount of things to do outdoors is endless, the people just seem nicer, and the food (though mostly pub food) is pretty great. We even enjoy Redmond, although we haven't been able to explore it too much besides a brewery or two.

Now for the Cons:
1) The traffic. You can get anywhere in town within 10-15 mins, but it's terribly congested! Just bumper to bumper and people drive in this small town as if it were a large city. I was recently rear-ended at a red light and it put my car in the shop for about 3 weeks. I started to ask around and sure enough, everyone I work with has gotten into an accident here. Also, if you pay attention, you'll see how many cars nearly or DO get hit while you're driving. It's pretty scary, especially in the snow.
2) Housing. Homes here are SO expensive! A normal sized house is anywhere between $400K - $500k. If you can afford something above $500K then I'd say you're pretty set. If not, it may mean purchasing a manufactured home that can withstand the winters or a condo/townhouse. So if you're okay with that then there's nothing to worry about.

That's pretty much it for my cons. A very small list but two very big issues if you're looking to stay here long term.

Thank you again for everyone's input in the past!

Old 11-15-2020, 11:43 PM

8 posts, read 12,195 times
it might sound obvious or not be what u want to do .. but.. rent dont buy. that way you are not strapped in for the long term in either place. the salem area has seen a real recent influx of latina immigrants for better or worse. the woodburn area, just north of salem, is reportedly 20 % undocumented.

bend to me, and im not a resident currently. it was a beautiful mountain town five years ago. with endless possibilities. now they got a planet fitness. which is a nice gym. but it feels like suddenly this little outdoorsy young people mixed with retirement community , some dental students mixed in. a long weekend town u know what i mean. a place for adventure.

it feels like it has become like 82 street in portland oregon or part of a sacremento suburb.

to me it really has gone down hill. maybe u are currently at the outlook i was five years ago the first few times i visited lol.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhiker View Post
it might sound obvious or not be what u want to do .. but.. rent dont buy. that way you are not strapped in for the long term in either place. the salem area has seen a real recent influx of latina immigrants for better or worse. the woodburn area, just north of salem, is reportedly 20 % undocumented.

bend to me, and im not a resident currently. it was a beautiful mountain town five years ago. with endless possibilities. now they got a planet fitness. which is a nice gym. but it feels like suddenly this little outdoorsy young people mixed with retirement community , some dental students mixed in. a long weekend town u know what i mean. a place for adventure.

it feels like it has become like 82 street in portland oregon or part of a sacremento suburb.

to me it really has gone down hill. maybe u are currently at the outlook i was five years ago the first few times i visited lol.
We've been renting for a long time, we're ready to buy a home of our own and settle down now.
And your comment about the kind of people living in Salem doesn't concern me. I'm more curious about the actual town or surrounding small towns for comparison.

And I suppose I get that. I never knew what Bend was like years ago so I can't say anything to that, but I really like it now. It's just getting so popular and growing extremely fast.. I'm not sure how people can afford to live here. Otherwise it would be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend