Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 05:25 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times

Advertisements

I have begun my house search and stumbled upon a really great deal for some acreage just north of Bend. The house is nice, but I really don't know anything about the area. I have heard that the Bend-LaPine school district is pretty good, but I don't know about the Redmond district. The school district boundaries fall within the Redmond district, although the address is technically Bend. The home is in the Tumalo area. Does anyone have any opinions about the two school districts, housing in the area, etc. they would like to share.

I don't have children right now, so the schools are not an absolute priority to me. However, I am a teacher with hopes of getting a job next year. I also plan on having children and would like to find a house I can stay in for the long term. With the economy the way it is, I don't think it would be wise to buy if we plan on moving in the next couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM

30 posts, read 130,471 times
We've lived in the area for many years. The Tumalo area (most of it) is very desirable. The river can flood into your home if its in the flats close to the river. As you say, no children yet, so schools can be a future consideration and schools do change...

Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM

480 posts, read 2,467,111 times
If you found a good deal in Tumalo, it's overall a good place if you're ready for a very small community (but I thought you wanted to be in biking distance to the Med Center and downtown Bend). Since you have no kids yet, I'd recommend not basing your decision on today's school environment. With a new administration in place next year, No Child Left Behind may just get itself left behind

Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
If you found a good deal in Tumalo, it's overall a good place if you're ready for a very small community (but I thought you wanted to be in biking distance to the Med Center and downtown Bend). Since you have no kids yet, I'd recommend not basing your decision on today's school environment. With a new administration in place next year, No Child Left Behind may just get itself left behind
Oh, you remember me!!! It's funny you mentioned that because my husband and I are having those same discussions. Yes, when we originally moved here we really wanted to live close to town, preferably within biking distance to the hospital and downtown.

Then we started looking at houses and my husband was noticing some really great deals with small acreages. He started thinking that maybe we should do this. We have lived on acreage before in really remote parts of Colorado and loved it. However, the town we were close to was still very small (pop.450) compared with Bend. There was nothing to do, so land was nice. In our home search we have been looking at numerous homes in our price range trying to get a feel for the area.

However, in our recent discussion (last night) we re-evaluated what we wanted and pretty much came to the conclusion that we still love the center of town and would love to find a modest home close to everything. We have the rest of our lives to "retire" out to acreage. I know myself and I would verge on hermit status if I lived away from town.

You are definately right about the changing administration. I just wanted to get perspective on the Redmond district from those who are familiar. Even though schools change over time, the district doesn't usually change that much from one administration to the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend