Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:33 PM

146 posts, read 453,126 times

Advertisements

Thanks!

Laid back is just the way I like it!

Trying to narrow down my moving choice between Bend and Santa Fe, NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,710 times
I haven't lived in Santa Fe, but I've visited a few times. Very different than Bend, but it's a beautiful place. How have you narrowed your choices down to two such different places?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
I haven't lived in Santa Fe, but I've visited a few times. Very different than Bend, but it's a beautiful place. How have you narrowed your choices down to two such different places?
Good question that I have a difficult time answering. I guess the easiest way to describe it would be intuition.

I do know that the size of the community, access to outdoor activities and scenery is of great interest in both locations.

I passed through Bend last year, but did not have an opportunity to spend much time in or around the community. However, it "felt" like a very nice place with a very unique energy or vibe.

I know the only real way to find out, is to make a visit. However, it sure is nice to get some feedback from another perspective or point of view. I guess you could say... "Living the dream through someone else!" So, Thanks for the reply!!

Old 01-09-2009, 10:33 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,136 times
The thing that makes it expensive is that jobs are very scarce. Unemployment will likely be over 10% in a month or two. On the other hand, people are leaving, which will bring rental prices down. Just do due diligence about the landlord, so you don't find yourself foreclosed on. You might ask if you can run a credit check on your potential landlord.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
One of the biggest areas of employment here is in the medical field, and it seems to be the one area that is not laying off.

Update: Today the main hospital announced a hiring freeze, potential cutbacks in some areas, and a request to take vacation days.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Update: Today the main hospital announced a hiring freeze, potential cutbacks in some areas, and a request to take vacation days.
Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!

What a mess!!

Any guesses on Bend Real Estate prices for 2009?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 28,324 times
Default Bend into the abyss

Bend Has Fallen into the abyss. NO work available, families fleeing en masse. Bend is referred to as "poverty with a view!" I've lived and owned businesses in Bend since the early 90's. I've seen Bend transform from a very nice town to a Califormia style five alarm cluster f**k.
Liberal minded nut cases have taken over local politics. Taxes sky-rocketed. Future very bleak for normal thinking folks.

Two years ago bend had the distinction of being the most un-affordable city in the nation. ie. Low wages vs. High housing costs. Housing prices have declined to 50% of last years prices, still no buyers. Foreclosures in Bend highest rate in nation. Most local banks lended heavily in housing sector. Expect most to fail soon.

The chamber of commerece stated almost half of newcomers to Bend derived income from personal investments. Stock market collaspe has rendered most of these people to poverty. Very little spending except for medical and food purchases. I met an unemployed structural engineer yesterday who was going door to door selling cookies, a modern age Apple Annie!

I wish a more favorable picture could be painted.
Good Luck !!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,468,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by websterbud View Post
I'm just trying to gauge what people think is long for a winter and expensive before I decide to visit and consider a move there this summer.
There are 4 season distributed over 12 months of the year. We shouldn't expect them to fall neatly into perfect 3-month allotments, but anything that is way off of that would be "long" in my view. I'd give up to 4 months for a normal winter. Anything longer than that is "long."

As to "expensive," a cost of living index over 110 would be expensive by NW standards.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 PM

Bend is having a 45% off sale on houses - as it's having ten foreclosures a DAY. So it will soon be LESS expensive. If you go to Bendbulletin.com right now, the story is there.

As to culture, I think it's Orange County, California brought north, with a few hippies in the mix. Just my opinion. I'm happier being a Portlander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend