Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:10 PM

24 posts, read 56,163 times

Advertisements

I'd like info on annual climate patterns, cultural/lifestlye data, skiing, etc in and around Bend, Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Since your questions are generic at this point: if you use the SEARCH function at the top of the page, and search in the Oregon forum, you'll get probably 20 threads from just the last two months answering these questions.

Likewise, if you go here:
//www.city-data.com/city/Bend-Oregon.html

you'll get the City Data summary of Bend's info

Old 07-12-2009, 02:22 PM

114 posts, read 334,513 times
weather dot com has a weather comparison tool if you want to compare to other cities.

good to excellent cross country skiing opportunities and Mount Bachelor for downhill- all just minutes from Bend.

very active outdoor community.

Mild four seasons. Some winter conditions in town but melts off. But can drive up the hill to hit snow within 10 minute drive.

culture is similar to many other outdoor mountain communities. Limited if you are into opera etc. Lots of open air concerts, farmers markets etc.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraus020237 View Post
I'd like info on annual climate patterns, cultural/lifestlye data, skiing, etc in and around Bend, Oregon.
Are you wanting a comparison of Eagle to Bend?

Old 07-13-2009, 08:21 PM

I've gotten 3 hits so far and I want to respond to all. To PNW-type-gal: Thanks for the tip I'm going there in a minute. To Mddd: Thanks. Regarding weather I wanted to hear it from the grass roots. To Bendite: No, but a comparison to Summit county CO (Breckenridge, Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne) would be good. Again, THANKS!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 AM

480 posts, read 2,466,122 times
Quote:
To Bendite: No, but a comparison to Summit county CO (Breckenridge, Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne) would be good. Again, THANKS!
It would probably be a closer comparison using Bend and Boulder than Bend to Summit County. First as to alpine skiing - Bend offers Mt. Bachelor which at times has wonderful powder comparable to Colorado. It's often windy and the conditions can vary widely, but it gets a lot of snow - 370 inches average annually. There are two other ski mountains in easy driving distance - Hoodoo and Willamette Pass. Compared to Summit County, I think overall people would prefer Summit County's offerings. For Nordic skiing and snowshoeing, there is a lot of beautiful terrain here.

Bend offers less fine dining than it used to because of the economic downturn. Some of our better restaurants have been replaced with less expensive options, but there is a large selection of dining options nonetheless. We have an outlet store area that is much, much smaller than Silverthorne has but otherwise, shopping is probably similar to Summit County. There are lots of outdoor activities all around Central Oregon that I think exceed what's offered in Summit (and easier due to lower altitude). Public transportation is minimal here, unlike your free rides from village to village. We don't offer the fun atmosphere of a mining town like Breckenridge, but we have a faux western town called Sisters nearby Bend that has lots of little specialty shops like Breck has. We don't get nearly the influx of European visitors as Summit County, but a lot of our industry is tourist-based like Summit's. The majority of our visitors are from California and Washington and our fellow Oregonians.

Weather is more like Boulder than in Summit County because of altitude, though we are high desert here so the vegetation is not alike. Statistically very similar weather, but on a day-by-day basis, it feels very different. The sky is a different color, we don't get diastrous hail storms, it cools down beautifully at night even on the hottest days.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 PM

Default Bend vs Eagle

Mr. Bendite, I thank you for a thorough answer. It looks like you have either lived in summit County or visit a lot. The reason I asked for that comparison is because my heart is in Summit County. We lived there for 12 years but my wife was offered a job in Eagle that she couldn't refuse. Now we are thinking of moving to a significantly lower elevation that still has skiing (all kinds), doesn't get too hot in the summer and offers the kind of environment we're used to. Bend seems like it might fit the bill but we are still looking and will probably take a trip or two to several places. Of course, jobs enter into it and will ultimately carry a lot of weight. Again, Thanks!!!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
We lived there for 12 years but my wife was offered a job in Eagle that she couldn't refuse.
The only "Eagle" I know of in Oregon is Eagle Point, over by Medford, which is NOT commuting distance to Bend. I suppose you could mean the Eagle Crest the golf course/resort community near Redmond?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The only "Eagle" I know of in Oregon is Eagle Point, over by Medford, which is NOT commuting distance to Bend. I suppose you could mean the Eagle Crest the golf course/resort community near Redmond?
I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to Eagle, CO where he currently lives.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to Eagle, CO where he currently lives.
*smacks forehead*

You mean like it says, over there to the far right of his name?

Sigh. Never mind, carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend