Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:30 AM

6 posts, read 17,757 times

Advertisements

When I hear phrases like "THAT place" I'd tend to politely end the conversation and move on.

FWIW, I am a Californian trying to figure out how to make a retirement work. One thing I notice as surf and look is that Bend is a nice place, and it has inexpensive homes right now. The bubble was hard on folks, I'm sure ... but I'd think the only way out now would be to fill up the empty houses. Retirees who bring money, and don't compete for local jobs, would seem ideal.

i heard once that we should learn to "zig" when the world "zags." Right now moving in is probably counter-trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,922 times
We are living in San Diego but looking seriously at Bend- I moved to Mammoth from New Zealand 15 yrs ago- also loved living in the mountains in NZ. Now I'm almost 50 and miss the outdoors- find SD way too crowded and too far to travel to be somewhere really beautiful, unless you consider your "spot" at a ridiculously crowded beach beautiful. I was 35 last time I lived in the snow though and am wondering how I'll cope with it as I get into my 60's, 70's. Love the outdoors but we're not hard core sports people.
I've heard about the resentment about Californians in Oregon but we're not all pretentious, shallow people- as someone said we're mainly imports to Ca.
Someone, please reassure me, we'll cope with the colder weather and be welcomed. It's all about an insulated house, attached garage and the right clothing , right?

Old 12-10-2010, 04:46 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindergirl View Post
We are living in San Diego but looking seriously at Bend- I moved to Mammoth from New Zealand 15 yrs ago- also loved living in the mountains in NZ. Now I'm almost 50 and miss the outdoors- find SD way too crowded and too far to travel to be somewhere really beautiful, unless you consider your "spot" at a ridiculously crowded beach beautiful. I was 35 last time I lived in the snow though and am wondering how I'll cope with it as I get into my 60's, 70's. Love the outdoors but we're not hard core sports people.
I've heard about the resentment about Californians in Oregon but we're not all pretentious, shallow people- as someone said we're mainly imports to Ca.
Someone, please reassure me, we'll cope with the colder weather and be welcomed. It's all about an insulated house, attached garage and the right clothing , right?

Hi gringergirl,

I suspect you would do fine. Bend is much colder than San Diego, but probably not so cold as Mammoth. Plenty fo people around from California just like you. The only issue would be work. The Bend economy stinks right now. So, if you need a job, you are wise to look before you leap!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,835 times
Quote:
An almost-50 year old Kiwi who moved to the States and lived in Mammoth for a time? Oregon is your place! We'll ignore that stint in San Diego

Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 AM

Great- thanks- just have to get my 10 yo daughter who is very connected to her friends on board, and my husband who is leery of living in the snow again. Will take them skiing this spring and try to get them hooked. Heard last night that the skiing on Mt Bachelor is cold and windy but that's typical of early in the season anywhere and the spring is when you get those gorgeous, sunny days even if the snow is a bit on the slushy side? We're going to do a road trip next year and check it out. Think Oregon reminds me of NZ with all the beautiful ferns and forest.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:19 PM

8 posts, read 16,943 times
grindergirl: My husband and I are most recently from Seattle, and were thinking of relocating to San Diego originally - to get away from the Seattle rain! I found SD to be more crowded than I expected, and the rural areas were not the right environment for us. So now we live in beautiful Bend. I remember the same "Californian" talk going around in Seattle for most of my 30 years there (it's so silly!) - and Seattle has become a MUCH better place over that time span. People have a right to move wherever they please, and more power to those who do prefer exploring various areas within their lifetime.

My husbands uncle and cousins are from NZ, and his closest cousin recently came to visit us here in Bend and loved it. Mountain scenery, lots of natural beauty to enjoy. It does snow in the winter, but I don't find it much of a hardship (even having never lived in a snowy place before here). Getting a 4WD or AWL vehicle makes things pretty easy in the winter. The low humidity also makes it feel much warmer than it is. My husband and I still can't believe how much warmer it feels here when it's 20 degrees and snowing than 42 and raining in Seattle. Maybe because we're not sopping wet! He is originally from Hawaii, then Colorado, Bend for a year in high school, San Diego for almost 10 years, Seattle for 5, and now Bend again. He's lived in both hot and cold climates, and loves it here. The summers are the best I can imagine - 85 degrees, low humidity, and sunny every day in July and August (and even most of Sept is nice). I hope you find when you come to visit that you are indeed, most welcome here.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 PM

8 posts, read 16,943 times
Quote:
Heard last night that the skiing on Mt Bachelor is cold and windy but that's typical of early in the season anywhere and the spring is when you get those gorgeous, sunny days even if the snow is a bit on the slushy side? We're going to do a road trip next year and check it out. Think Oregon reminds me of NZ with all the beautiful ferns and forest.
Living in Bend you can usually pick and choose the days you go up to Bachelor, which is really nice since it's only about 30 mins away. I tend to wait for a sunny day right after a heavy snow, many of which happen throughout the season. I used to drive down from Seattle before, leaving me stuck with whatever weather I got - but there were enough awesome spring skiing days that it influenced my moving here! As for the ferns though, it's not nearly as green as I imagine NZ to be. It really is a desert here, but lots of trees (juniper and pines) - and you can drive an hour west into the mountains to experience the Cascade greenery and all the lushness the rain brings with it.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Oh thankyou for such words of encouragement- I've become quite obsessive about looking at real estate in Bend and living in the future instead of enjoying my day today- but I've never taken to SD. Working on a business idea which would allow me to live anywhere, and maybe even my dream of spending Dec, Jan and Feb in NZ where at xmas/new year time virtually all businesses close down and the whole country spends 2 weeks of socializing, hanging out at the beach, catching up with old friends. It's such a good time and find at xmas time here I get horribly homesick. My brother is building a bach (rustic cabin typically at the beach) with long drop toilet, outside shower, rainwater tank on great barrier island which is really gorgeous-I'd love a mix of Bend and something like that for my NZ base. But I'm way off subject now- thanks for your input, the desert weather is perfect and if Bend isn't quite as green it's because it doesn't rain incessantly- it looks really lovely and close to so many beautiful areas to explore. Great to know the cold isn't too bad. Can't wait to move up there!

Old 04-24-2011, 01:52 PM

478 posts, read 784,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Those who drink their Miller High Life from a paper cup look down on those who drink it straight from the can.

It's about the cheapest you can get, so why isn't it called Miller Low Life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend