Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM

543 posts, read 3,077,568 times

Advertisements

I want to be a truck driver if possible in Big Island. Would it be better to get CDL from Hilo H2K Driver Training Services LLC Hilo, HI, 96720 - YELLOWPAGES.COM

or it doesn't matter where you get it from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,107 times
As long as you have a Hawaii CDL and clean driving record I don't think an employer will care how you got licensed.

Finding a job and making a decent wage might be difficult though. Also most CDL jobs would be in delivery for local companies.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
As long as you have a Hawaii CDL and clean driving record I don't think an employer will care how you got licensed.

Finding a job and making a decent wage might be difficult though. Also most CDL jobs would be in delivery for local companies.
Oh so you have to get a CDL for a particular state to be able to use it in that state? Would getting a truck driving job in Big Island be paying much less than one in mainland? Exactly how much is the starting wage (In mainland it's $37k)?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,744 times
This doesn't answer your question, but I thought I'd note that in all the truck deliveries we've had on Maui, the drivers have been excellent. We're on a cul de sac, and our container delivery was handled really well. Contract furniture deliveries also terrific; the drivers all unloaded & handled the furniture very nicely.

Just a note that it seems like there are skilled workers here, which is great. It also might mean that anyone who doesn't do their job well may not make it.

And yes, we give them all cold drinks and tips to show our appreciation.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Truck drivers with CDL are always needed, but on Hawaii the jobs are limited to only the island your on. If your in one county on the mailand, you can drive a truck to just about any county or state. Hawaii has no ferries, bridges, or tunnels so everything is local. There are no over-the-road truck jobs like on the mainland. General CDL jobs are hit or miss since many people have CDLs. The secret to gettinga job is having special experience where your the minority not the majority. Hazmat, boom experience, heavy construction, etc will wittle the number of applicants down to only a few.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
For some driving jobs, speaking Japanese helps. There are a lot of tour bus drivers needed. Try Enoa Tour Company on Oahu, if they hire you, they will train you, too. They need drivers with a CDL C with air brakes and a passenger endorsement. They find it much easier to train someone who can speak Japanese to drive a bus or trolley than to teach a bus or trolley driver how to speak Japanese.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 PM

8 posts, read 24,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
I want to be a truck driver if possible in Big Island. Would it be better to get CDL from Hilo H2K Driver Training Services LLC Hilo, HI, 96720 - YELLOWPAGES.COM

or it doesn't matter where you get it from?
Hi Kansoku, how are things going for you? Are you driving? Do you live on the Big Island now? I am really interested to see how everything has worked out for you.... hope you may read this still.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Think when the H4 finally opens up, you could probably get a gig driving the poi truck from Hilo to Honolulu, should pay pretty well, not sure of the benefits though...

Alo,,,, uuuurrrrpppp,,, scuze me,,, ha

Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
But the best poi is from Waipio valley, so you'd need a really good 4WD poi truck.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiktokNarang View Post
Hi Kansoku, how are things going for you? Are you driving? Do you live on the Big Island now? I am really interested to see how everything has worked out for you.... hope you may read this still.
No. I emailed one of the tour companies, Roberts Hawaii, but after my second email stating my job history (2 months of Kroger bagboy) and driving history they wouldn't reply. My driving history wasn't bad, although not squeaky clean. They didn't tell me the exact criteria. They also asked me if I was going to come to Hawaii soon and I answered in that 2nd email that I wanted to find out how employable I would be before coming first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island