Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:33 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times

Advertisements

So as an Indie Film Actor will you be hanging out with Pat and Vanna at the Wheel of Fortune taping today over on the Kona side? (What's an Indie Film Actor, anyway? Feathers and painted horses? Harrison Ford and too many snakes?)

Straight six used to be one of my more favored engines before the whole gas thing got too expensive. You may have to replace that soon with an electric engine and put a camper top with solar panels on it?

Aloha is only needing one avocado tree per neighborhood. It isn't mystical at all, it is a way of living. The coconut wireless is probably also aloha, too. Either that or just rural living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 05:46 PM

50 posts, read 204,352 times
Default Vanna White? Whee-oooo---eee!

Pat is very creepy, in an uncle-who-loves-to-babysit your teenager kinda way, to me. Vanna: now there's a Revlon Aphrodite for ya. An Indie film actor is the kind you have never, ever seen in any movie anywhere/anytime, unless it was a wunderkind movie like "Clerks", or "Blair Witch", et cetera. However, the slapstick film in which I play SGT Hobbs is on Ebay for a sawbuck 'n' change. We shooting the finale for "The Haunted", the final of three shorts which will comprise "Death Certificates". The shoot is at an abandoned slaughterhouse in nearby Sedro-Wooley, WA. I am the spooky mastermind using an ancient text 'myteri de Morti' to achieve immortality. The whole film is twilightzone and a touch of Hellraiser, I'd guess. It's actually a well-written supernatural thriller that might actually have "legs". Both films will surface at the next Sundance, hopefully.
Ol' Jenny gets about 16 mpg on a sound straight sixer, but if we shipped 'er over, we don't plan on driving much. Solar panels on a hexagonal cedar home sitting on an amalgam/aggregate of pumice, gradiated stones, & cement, along side a fresh spring sounds good to me.
I do believe if a dolphin pod was around that my dharma/karma shines a bright enough aura that they'd spot me if I was drowning and push me into shore, .
Come winter time, I'll be doing a lot of pseudo astral projection to lower Puna or K'au. It gets frigid around here, man, with arctic air funneling down from B.C. through the Frasier River canyon and over the flats of Lynden.
Mahalo/Aloha.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-13-2008 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: please keep it PG

Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torghaole View Post
Pat is very creepy, in an uncle-who-loves-to-babysit your teenager kinda way, to me. Vanna: now there's a Revlon Aphrodite for ya.
That's pretty funny. You do know how to turn a phrase, don't you?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:54 PM

Vanna needs to eat more, she's a frail person! Poor thing, no okole at all. Pat didn't seem as creepy as he generally does on TV but then I don't think I've ever watched an entire show of Wheel of Fortune. Watching the two they taped last night was the most I've ever watched.

There have been some folks doing "nightmarcher" movies, you could help them if you wanted to continue your Indie skills over here. I dunno if they even get up to Grade B movies or not but it is fun to watch the folks we know act funny on screen.

Dunno if you want a concrete home or not, we do get earthquakes here and solid houses crack. But rocks that are stacked once can be stacked back up again.

Perhaps instead of pushing you back up to shore, they'd take you around to reincarnate as a dolphin? At the Wheel of Fortune taping we met some folks who work at the Hilton (they need a lot of folks to be audience so they were gathering them from everywhere). The folks we were chatting with work with the "swim with the dolphins" program and they said they get the crazy "dolphins are intelligent aliens" all the time. They said they should charge double for alien encounters.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:46 PM

100 posts, read 335,405 times
Hi! I just love reading these posts! It is keeping me connected till I am able to be there in person! My daughter and I are moving to Hilo in January, and I am SO excited! If I could come right now, I would! My boyfriend already lives there, so there is even more reason to be anxious to go now(besides the fact that I am going to be living in such a beautiful place full of aloha!).
I already have a rental lined up, as well as our airline tickets, so we are definitely ready! I was surprised to find such affordable housing in Hilo, especially since I am moving from a small Illinois town where the cost of living is quite low. We are renting a fully furnished, all utilities included, 3 bdr/2ba home. I have seen pictures, and my boyfriend checked it out, so I know its a good place. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a place.
I will be shopping a LOT at the farmers market, since fresh fruits and veggies are my favorite....any other ideas on how to keep the cost of living to a minimum? We are selling pretty much everything we have here (not that we have a lot anyway) and re-purchasing things we may need when we get there. But since the place is already furnished completely (utensils, linens, everything..) we won't need a whole lot..just the basics.
I am blessed to already have an steady monthly income that will continue uninterupted moving there, but I will be looking for at least a part time job after we arrive. I am just finishing my Masters Degree in December, so I'm hoping that gives me a little bit of an advantage when it comes to finding work. If not, at least I have time to search without worrying about us going hungry.
Anyway, glad to meet you all, and I'll be joining you soon!!! Aloha!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 AM

50 posts, read 204,352 times
Default As the frost begins to breathe down my neck...

My apologies, (if so due to CynM, Hotcatz, & SkyBob), for not having visited this forum for a while. I do sense an emanation of peace/aloha from you all, (and others). It is my penchant to "turn a phrase", as mentioned afore. I'm sure there will be opportunities to get into Indie flicks when I/we do "beam up" to Alohaland. On Nov. 1st my bud, the director of "The Haunted", is adding a new ending sequence to the short flick, and a beginning. He wants to get it "out there" to make enough to film the entire horror trilogy "Death Certificates".
I read with interest stories of "ghosts" on another thread. I have had one or two memorable experiences myself. One in '67 at a haunted mansion on Lake Sammammish, and several when stationed in Europe. As Shakespeare wrote in hamlet, Act I/Scene V: "There is more afoot in Heaven and Earth than is dreamt of in your Philosophy, Horatio." We watch "Ghosthunters" every week, amongst other programs of that inquisitive genre. I have always found it helpful to invoke Divine Protection when casting my Consciousness outward from our physical world of four dimensions. Further questions regarding this may be answered for you at:
<http://megafoundation.org/CTMU/> . I have become a member of this society, but anyone can subscribe & read to their heart's content. I have found this to be very helpful indeed. One need only visit the FAQ section.
Also, as an offering to Aunty Pele and those who are currently either incarnated or disincarnate upon your coruscated & sunjeweled shores, I submit this bit of my writing:

A Sonnet:
A Fire's Cauldron at Night

I lit a Fire upon Olde Ente-Bone wood.
Bright Phoenix feather-flames wrapped 'round, char-blacked
Dry, wizened limbs: such Sprites leapt out that could
Quick-snatch one's Spirit in surprise attack!

Old Fyre's wee Faerie tongues o' Light brought me
Right back through Time's ghost-gauzy veil to view
My past, then all my Potentiality:
I only "Live" when humbly speaking Truth.

Tart, piny smoke rose as to touch the Stars;
All Lives I've lived, (as with these logs), just burn
Like Suns in Galaxies beyond 'Too Far'.
Grace is that 'something' one can't simply "earn".

Perception truly IS Reality!
Perhaps your Fyre's Light's the same, (I see).
============================================
One more, then it's time to hop in the rainbox and put on my woodchuckin' clothes to split firewood. (I will SO want to be in Hawai'i when the cold/rain goes on for days on end!)
------------------------------------
Past the Lotus-Laden Island --------------------------

"I dreampt I swam, and then
the next day I did swim,”

The poetess wrote,

“past a lotus-laden Island.”

Such are We
swimming, breathing, spitting salt
in Mother Earth's
en utero embryo-bath
gasping
striving
to find Land Light
to embrace Beach
to Turtle forth
but of a sudden holding breath
....when we sense the darkshadowshape
cruising sleek-silently beneath us.

The Moon beckons us further on
The Beach reckons, no more just a glimmer....
in an open grass hut
I can spy a cozy bed,
sewn of patches of
blue, & scarlet
all in a quilt of Pentangle Stars on Calico beckoning....

I sharply re-gain my breath,
and awake to
Ginger-Lemon Tea!
It is morning...I, too, have had a dream
of swimming in an eternal sunshine, starshine Sea.....
================================================== ======

Old 10-08-2008, 05:53 PM

29 posts, read 131,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwideprotege View Post
girlinaz, u still here?
Where is the OP ?
the thread had just become active again .

Old 10-09-2008, 02:17 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
The O.P. is no longer a member.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,800 times
Question Drought? How about -11 this last month

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
By coincidence I happen to live on Hapu'u St. I'm lucky enough to have several on my lot. They're very thirsty and don't like a lot of sun. We recently had a short drought, only 10 days, and all my Hapu'u have burnt fronds. Occasionally one will fall over, I just cut it off at the bend and replant it. I agree that gardening here is more "whacking back" than anything else.
I will be home hunting in Puna this month. I have read up for several years and think I might fit the mold of people who enjoy living there. I am so sick of the snow here in E. Washington state, I am gardening deprived. I am looking forward to growing gardinias and bananas. Any clue as to a good elevation that I can grow both? I have been thinking of Mountain View area.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 AM

Aloha Radiopeg,

Most elevations in Mountain View are good for bananas and gardenia. You may also like the jasmines, too, as well as the puakenikeni. Oh! And my personal favorite, tuberose! Most any lot below 2,000 feet or so is good for bananas. I'm not sure what the requirements for gardenia are, I have some at 400' although they aren't as enthusiastic as I'd like. Lavender might grow at Mountain View, I don't have the elevation for it here.

Mainland gardening must be terribly sad when everything dies off each year. It would seem they would just have time to get going really well and then *poof* covered in snow. Bleah! I'll stick with the constant "whacking back" routine. For lawn care, geese are good. They are strict vegetarians and really like to eat grass. They also will do backyard security and let you know if anything is going on in the backyard. They are not good in gardens, though. Last week they decimated the garden so no peas for awhile!

Oh, the thing to look for when buying property around Mountain View - especially for gardening purposes - is to look for property which has dirt on it. You can grow things in pure cinders, but a bit of soil with the cinders is better. If the lot has nothing but tall skinny ohia trees or no trees at all, then it is probably lava in layers so there's no room other than a crack in the lava for the tree's roots. If you see big wide spread out trees with many branches, then most likely there is soil there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island