Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 03:38 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,427,044 times

Advertisements

Ouch is right!
Long story short, a friend was contacted by the DA yesterday. Seems one of his lots was sold without his consent and the buyer was now suing, every step of a real estate transaction must be followed closely-due diligence!
.....and yes, Texas Casey, our C/D group meets frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,899 times
Aloha Texas -- Good luck on the journey!! Maybe we can crash in on Leilani Guy I keep saying I will stop in !! Be back in Pahoa end of the week!!

Man that sucks about Julie I was wondering where she went - When I first came on City- read many of her posts.....

Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,648 times
Aloha...its simple...any tree can be transplanted...this is how yuou do it(remember the bigger the tree....The hevier and bigger the roots will be compaired tothe canopy)...You need to take as much native soil the tree sits in ...over dig the hole...scrape off some loose dirt...leave much...the roots usually will extend to the edge of the width of the canopy..(so..10 ft wide canopy is going to be a BIG root ball)...burlap it up so it doesnt crumble in transportation...wrap the leaves with a sheet or a tarp(water the leave first)..if you dont wrap the foliage,when you drive down the road it will windwhip your tree ...and kill it...you need to wrap it up..very important...as soon as you get it into the ground...(try to shade it or do it early or late in the season..or on a rainy day)it needs to be waterd daily till it is established...just pay attention to rain fall...give it some water if mother nature doesnt..

Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
Default contact

can you email me please, my wife and I are doing the exact same thing as you, kleerogers (at) gmail
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltylady View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Big Island (Hilo side) next month. We have already purchased 18 acres off the grid a few miles outside of Hilo. I have been reading thru these forums and have noticed that noone has discussed that on the Hilo side of the BI is one of the only places on earth were one can live completely self sustainable, we plan on growing our own food, having solar and windmill power and a water catchment system. We will be completely self sustainable, we absolutely love the Hilo side of the big island, there are many rural areas were one can farm there own land. There is much rain which allows for growing your own food year round and enough sun and wind to produce enough power to live off of (if you can be conservative with the amount of power you use, no more blow drying my hair!). I realize that we are very fortunite to have been able to purchase the land we did, however with that being said living the lifestyle we plan on living will be very inexpensive, we will have no power bill or water bill and we will produce much of our own food if not all of it (we eat very little meat). We have traveled to all the Hawaiin Islands many times and did much research and found that with the lifestyle we want the Hilo side of the BI was the only choice for us.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klee Rogers View Post
can you email me please, my wife and I are doing the exact same thing as you, kleerogers (at) gmail
Unfortunately....If you check the date of the post it was August 2008, and if you click on the poster's name and check all her posts, she last posted in August 2008.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,258 times
born in hilo and lived in puna for about five years. To me puna was a very dreaded place to live. No shopping very rural and boring. I spent alot of nights drinking. Theres not much else to do. Glad to live in oahu. puna is a weird town and there are alot of weird people. must be the catchment water.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:35 PM

74 posts, read 166,294 times
To each theri own. And are you talking about the town of Pahoa? Puna isn't a town but a huge district. This area is made up of lots of interesting characters. And, yeah, there probably isn't tons of nightlife here. That suits me just fine. Hilo has enough hustle and bustle for me and is only 15 minutes away.

Jon in Keaau and loving it!

Old 01-23-2021, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 2,805 times
Does anyone still look at this thread ? I hope so! Plan on moving to the Puna area end of the year. Already have 20 Acers but have trouble finding a builder that will do a partial DIY. I was born in the Islands and after 45 years of Gov. Service, its time to move back home.
Would love to here from you. Bill

Old 01-23-2021, 01:37 PM

112 posts, read 96,920 times
It's back in the rotation so somebody will start looking at it again.

How long since you have been to Puna? Where are your 20 acres? Is/was there a house on it?

Old 01-23-2021, 09:57 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Yup, the devil is in the details! Which part of Puna will you be in? What are you gonna do with twenty acres? Is there any soil? Which lava zone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island