Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:36 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times

Advertisements

You are in good company in the late hours--seems many of our Hilo/Puna friends are writing in the late evening! My work keeps me on a very unpredictable schedule...especially on days when I've driven to Waikoloa or Kona. But the fact that the lower floor of my home is a fully functioning recording studio contributes to that as well! My 'significant other' is a recording engineer, and after 20 years of the mainland music business, he decided that a small, private studio on the Big Island was the next step. Our home office is above the vocal booth and bedroom above the drum room. So when bands are in for recording sessions, I tend to keep late hours myself. Thankfully, part of his work is 'distance': mixing projects for clients who have already recorded on the mainland, so not every session is live! (One more example of a creative way to work in Hilo...if you bring those connections with you or are able to create them from here.)

If you can arrange a way to work via the internet, you will be in good company. I've met a few (and read about many) people who are doing that here. I know one person who is doing financial analysis for a mainland firm. Working online would be a great alternative for Puna living.

Happy 4th to all!

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 07-04-2007 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 03:54 AM

376 posts, read 490,532 times
Wow, that is great. It is important to be industrious in trying to make your dreams come true. I cannot imagine having to drive all over the island on a regular basis. I have been stuck in traffic here for so long that I want to do anything but in Hawaii. My whole point in moving there will be to slow down my life, not speed it up. I hope you had a good holiday and will keep in touch. Julie

Old 07-10-2007, 04:54 AM

90 posts, read 280,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
I laugh when you say a 10 day "drought". I have lived in the Phoenix area forever and I do not think we have ever had 10 days of rain in a row in the entire 20+ years. I cannot get anything to live here (much less grow). Quite a big difference it will be for me to move-for sure! Anyway, if I could ask you guys, what is Hilo like? Mind comparing it to say any other big town a mainlander would think of? I know that the population is pretty small (compared to a large city here), but it also is the 2nd largest city in the islands, so....tell me about it. Thanks, Julie
I hear you Julie! I moved from Prescott AZ a few years back, the idea of a drought here really took me back a bit! Hilo is wonderful, but not for everyone with the long periods of rain, humidity, etc. The area as a whole is quite diverse, lots of open markets to hit up on the weekend and weekdays to support the local farmers, as a whole people are very earth conscious (WAY different in this respect than AZ these days). You love it or leave it, real simple. That's how we like it!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 AM

Default So where do you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YurtGirl View Post
I hear you Julie! I moved from Prescott AZ a few years back, the idea of a drought here really took me back a bit! Hilo is wonderful, but not for everyone with the long periods of rain, humidity, etc. The area as a whole is quite diverse, lots of open markets to hit up on the weekend and weekdays to support the local farmers, as a whole people are very earth conscious (WAY different in this respect than AZ these days). You love it or leave it, real simple. That's how we like it!
Which subdivision do you live in, or is it Hilo you live in? Sorry my eyelids are heavy. At least Prescott is small town compared to Scottsdale/MUCH COOLER. It has been over 110 for days on end here, with humidity yet no rain. It has been up to 117 and I am losing my mind. [we have been breaking records year after year]
I literally come in from work, strip down naked while walking in, go straight into a cold shower, scrub off my now melted makeup, and drink a gallon of water.
My car steerling wheel is so hot, that I have to hold it using a towel to drive with (this is with the window coverings already up and in place blocking the sun all day) and my car does not cool off even with the AC on full blast the entire way home. [today i went into a car wash even though my car wasn't that dirty, just to try to cool it off]
I am losin it.
A few more years.....

Old 07-12-2007, 05:45 AM

Ugh, I don't miss that heat... Prescott isn't that bad at all for climate. I remember the two finger driving when visiting Phoenix though! More than anything I miss the ROCKS!!! Only lava, lava, lava here. A'a and Pahoehoe are fun, but they only go so far! Of course the other aspects go far in making up for it. They're filming Indiana Jones here next week. Lucas and Spielburg flew in the other day. Think Harrison Ford might need to rent a room? I've got a spare one... Maybe I could let him work it off in yardwork if he promises to take your advice on ways to cool off... hehe. Ok, it's late, I'm officially goofy now. Ciao.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Ugh, I don't miss that heat... Prescott isn't that bad at all for climate. I remember the two finger driving when visiting Phoenix though! More than anything I miss the ROCKS!!! Only lava, lava, lava here. A'a and Pahoehoe are fun, but they only go so far! Of course the other aspects go far in making up for it. They're filming Indiana Jones here next week. Lucas and Spielburg flew in the other day. Think Harrison Ford might need to rent a room? I've got a spare one... Maybe I could let him work it off in yardwork if he promises to take your advice on ways to cool off... hehe. Ok, it's late, I'm officially goofy now. Ciao.
NOTHING goofy about that wish! Do you live in a Yurt? Which town are you in? It's nice to live in paradise where beautiful movies are made! Boy I can't wait!!! Not sure if you read my posts or not but I am waiting for my son to go to college first. (6 yrs. to go) How did you end up there? How fun to meet people online here. Hope for a reply soon, Julie

Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
NOTHING goofy about that wish! Do you live in a Yurt? Which town are you in? It's nice to live in paradise where beautiful movies are made! Boy I can't wait!!! Not sure if you read my posts or not but I am waiting for my son to go to college first. (6 yrs. to go) How did you end up there? How fun to meet people online here. Hope for a reply soon, Julie
I'm in Hawaiian Acres, just past Kurtistown, just moved out of my yurt last month, sadly enough. I owned the yurt, but someone else owned the land and wanted to sell. I'm looking at land now, though I'm in no hurry. I plan to live in a yurt there for a long time. I moved here for college and fell in love with it. It may seem strange, but there was an undeniable pull from the aina (island) before I even arrived. We are all infinitely blessed to live here.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 10,026 times
Default Aloha!

My name is Lynn and my husband is Bob. We are moving to Hilo this month. In fact we leave to start our drive from Denver to San Diego in 4 days! So I have been very busy doing last minute stuff around here. Time really flies!

It will be quite the adventure I'm sure. I better get back to packing. I'll be sure to keep in touch!

Aloha,
Lynn

Old 07-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I'm in Hawaiian Acres, just past Kurtistown, just moved out of my yurt last month, sadly enough. I owned the yurt, but someone else owned the land and wanted to sell. I'm looking at land now, though I'm in no hurry. I plan to live in a yurt there for a long time. I moved here for college and fell in love with it. It may seem strange, but there was an undeniable pull from the aina (island) before I even arrived. We are all infinitely blessed to live here.
Yes you sure are. Do you mind if I ask what kind of work you do there? I am trying to figure out how to make a living there. I had the same pull the first time I came for a visit, and it has never left me. Every day that I am not there is one more day I ache to be there. I am moving in about 6 years ish. Maybe sooner. I am waiting until my son is older as I do not want to take him away from his friends. I am a bird in a cage right now, which is why I love to talk to you all on here. It makes me feel a little bit better. Hope you are well, Julie

Old 07-14-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Aloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn-SLP View Post
My name is Lynn and my husband is Bob. We are moving to Hilo this month. In fact we leave to start our drive from Denver to San Diego in 4 days! So I have been very busy doing last minute stuff around here. Time really flies!

It will be quite the adventure I'm sure. I better get back to packing. I'll be sure to keep in touch!

Aloha,
Lynn
Hi Lynn, thanks for saying hello to us. I am in Arizona at this time, but will be moving to the Puna area in a few years. I started this thread to have those of us in the Puna/Hilo area to keep in touch. Do you mind letting us know what is brining you to the island? Do you have kids? What kind of work will you be doing there? Which area of Hilo? I have one son, and am awaiting his departure for college to move. I have no idea what kind of work I will be doing when I get there, so always like to know what kind others are doing to have a comparison. I hope your trip is safe and easy, Julie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island