Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 12:38 AM

3 posts, read 13,515 times

Advertisements

Hi, haven't logged in for a while. When I moved here 7+ years ago, I signed up with a temp agency, and that led to my permanent job (I've been at the same job since Dec 99). Temping is actually a really good way to start here, as there is a definite need for competent workers, but it can be very difficult for non-locals to get an "in". However, you should have at least enough funds to cover several months of living expenses while you find work. That was one BIG mistake I made, but was very lucky in the end.

Also, I remember telling my father how much my property taxes are, and I thought he'd faint - he pays almost 10x as much (in IL). That's only if you live in the house though - if you rent out a house, the taxes are higher.

Any questions, please ask away. Also, if anyone has property here (Puna, N Hilo, or S Hilo), and they want a pic, let me know. I'm trying to explore more, and that could be fun for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 10,026 times
Aloha Julie,

We are quite fortunate to have jobs lined up already. I am a speech therapist and have a contract with the schools and my husband will work from home remotely and keep his current job with a financial agency in which he does accounting type work. We do not have children yet so it's good timing for us. We will rent a furnished place in the Hilo area. So far we just have a short term rental for a week set up so we can look for something more permanent when we get there.

Wish us luck!
Lynn

Old 07-15-2007, 03:50 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
Working for a school is a good way to quickly become integrated into the community in Hawaii. Although the actual "job" of a classroom teacher has its complications (addressed in other threads), the community of people who make up the teachers and staff of the schools is welcoming and usually very supportive of those new to the islands. I am so greatful for the friendships I made in my first years here and the introduction to the 'local' lifestyle I was given by the staff, teachers and families I worked with on Oahu and here on the Big Island. Most of my closest friends now are women I met through my time as a teacher/EA, even though some of us have moved on to other types of work.

Julie, it might be something to consider as an option if you have any desire to work within the DOE...you could begin preparing yourself during your remaining time in Arizona if you don't have a background in the field of education. There are plenty of distance learning programs that you can research. The pay for entry level positions won't be particularly impressive, but the benefits are decent. Just a thought!

Lynn, Best of luck with your move. If you are going to be working at the Waiakea complex, be sure to look up Judy Kruse at Waiakea High School. She is now a VP, but when I was there she was the Dept. Head for Sp. Ed.--a valuable resource and will be a great person to get to know!

Aloha,
Cynthia

Old 07-15-2007, 06:05 PM

376 posts, read 490,532 times
Smile Nice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyes666 View Post
Hi, haven't logged in for a while. When I moved here 7+ years ago, I signed up with a temp agency, and that led to my permanent job (I've been at the same job since Dec 99). Temping is actually a really good way to start here, as there is a definite need for competent workers, but it can be very difficult for non-locals to get an "in". However, you should have at least enough funds to cover several months of living expenses while you find work. That was one BIG mistake I made, but was very lucky in the end.

Also, I remember telling my father how much my property taxes are, and I thought he'd faint - he pays almost 10x as much (in IL). That's only if you live in the house though - if you rent out a house, the taxes are higher.

Any questions, please ask away. Also, if anyone has property here (Puna, N Hilo, or S Hilo), and they want a pic, let me know. I'm trying to explore more, and that could be fun for me.
Hi, thanks for saying hello. I am assuming there is at least one temp agency out of Hilo, right? Do you mind me asking what kind of work you do there? Thanks for the advise about the back up funding. Being from Phoenix, there are tons of jobs here, so I am kind of worried about what will be available to me there. I have a job here that I could potentially do from there, but I just started and I do not know if the boss would allow me to, so want to keep mind open. Also, what is the minimum wage in Hawaii? I do not have any specialized skills that would be in high demand, such as teaching, or healthcare, so that leaves me in a precarious position. Anyway, when you said "rent out a house" do you mean being an owner of a house that you do not live in and then rent out, or just being a renter of a house? If it is being the renter, what are the taxes?
I already own a lot in Nanawale Estates, near Pahoa. If you would like to drive by mine and take pictures of the lot and the street [as I think one of my neighbors is starting to build and would love to know where in relation to my land it would be] that would be great! I am stuck here for a long time and will not be able to come to my lot until who knows?
Do you live in Hilo or Puna? It is nice to meet you and Mahalo for your offer to help out.
Julie

Old 07-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Aloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn-SLP View Post
Aloha Julie,

We are quite fortunate to have jobs lined up already. I am a speech therapist and have a contract with the schools and my husband will work from home remotely and keep his current job with a financial agency in which he does accounting type work. We do not have children yet so it's good timing for us. We will rent a furnished place in the Hilo area. So far we just have a short term rental for a week set up so we can look for something more permanent when we get there.

Wish us luck!
Lynn
Yes, you are very fortunate. I think that the best thing I can try to do is find something here and work remotely as well. I am hoping that the position I currently have will be able to do so. Going without kids is best. It is hard for them to adjust which is why I am waiting. I have a 12 yr old and am hoping he will want to go to the U of H and move with me. Plenty of time. I will no doubt be renting something until I get my house built. I already bought a piece of land. I wish you luck and make sure to keep in touch. Julie

Old 07-15-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Julie, it might be something to consider as an option if you have any desire to work within the DOE...you could begin preparing yourself during your remaining time in Arizona if you don't have a background in the field of education. There are plenty of distance learning programs that you can research. The pay for entry level positions won't be particularly impressive, but the benefits are decent. Just a thought!

Aloha,
Cynthia
I really do not want to go to school to do anything. I also really do not see myself working for the DOE. Thanks for the idea though. Also, meant to tell you that you have been adding a great deal of links to information that I have saved as they are so helpful [and hard to find]. So mahalo for that. Julie

Old 07-21-2007, 02:18 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
Aloha all,

We are staying in on this rainy Friday night waiting for tropical depression Cosme to pass us by, but I've been meaning to mention here that I went to Shaka's in Pahoa for, I must admit, the first time last week! It was a very mellow night in there, but I was pleasantly surprised by the decor and the bartender was quite impressive! We met some friends who are building out in Glenwood for dinner at Luquins and had plans to drop in to see a few musicians who were supposed to be playing down the street. Our meal took a little longer than we had expected and we missed the music, so stopped in at Shaka's to have a drink and play pool. Paolo's is our next dinner date...we don't get to Pahoa often in the evening, but have always enjoyed it when we do!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:18 PM

35 posts, read 183,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Aloha!
I have noticed a comradory (sp?) between some of us on the Puna, HI thread and I thought it might be nice to take that a bit further and make it into its own thread.

If you live in the Puna/Hilo area or will be or used to be, this is for you. Please introduce yourself, your situation and if you would like to keep in touch through this forum with updates about yourself and the area we love.

I live in the Phoenix area of AZ, will be moving to the Puna area in the next several years and CANNOT WAIT! For me, living so far away right now, my thoughts are that it would be nice to make friends, know what is going on in the area (as there is literally zero news coverage about ANY part of Hawaii in our news coverage here), and to share ideas. If you have any suggestions as well, go for it!

Mahalo, Julie

P.S. Oh, if you look towards the latter pages of the Puna, HI thread you will see some of the communications we have had so far.
My opinion, god and bad:
I lived in Pahoa (Puna District) for 6 mo. after 5 years on the Kona side of Big Island. Puna in general has a drug related crime problem but Pahoa did not seem to. Very cute litle town with great restaurants and local characters. Sort of the "new hippies" - dreadlocks, healthfood, tatoos, piercings...and very pleasant folks. Being in my 50's didn't make me feel out of place. Very casual.
Pahoa is 1/2 way between Hilo and Volcano. Hilo has the best outdoor market and vegetables I've encountered. People drive 2 hours from Kona side for it. It is the town that still has water marks from a tsunami. I liked the town a lot.
Everything inbetween Hilo and Pahoa is boring subdivisions unless you go down by the ocean. Awesome.
Since you want rain you will be in heaven. Parts are true rain forest. Of course there are mosquitos but that comes with any wet area. What doesn't is coqui frogs and wild boars and lots of dogs. For some strange reason people like to tie dogs in their yards (carry pepper spray on your walks). The coqui frogs are unavoidable and I lived in the middle of a jungle area. First thing I had to do was by wireless headphones so I could hear the tv after the sun set. Up to 70 decibiles (= lawnmower). The population of frogs is rapidly moving toward Hilo, Volcano, and the ocean. It is not a cute sound and is lowering property values.
Wherever you end up, don't miss the volcanic heated ponds along the shore. I live on Oahu now but would go back just to sit in one.
Good luck.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Beth View Post
My opinion, god and bad:
I lived in Pahoa (Puna District) for 6 mo. after 5 years on the Kona side of Big Island. Puna in general has a drug related crime problem but Pahoa did not seem to. Very cute litle town with great restaurants and local characters. Sort of the "new hippies" - dreadlocks, healthfood, tatoos, piercings...and very pleasant folks. Being in my 50's didn't make me feel out of place. Very casual.
Pahoa is 1/2 way between Hilo and Volcano. Hilo has the best outdoor market and vegetables I've encountered. People drive 2 hours from Kona side for it. It is the town that still has water marks from a tsunami. I liked the town a lot.
Everything inbetween Hilo and Pahoa is boring subdivisions unless you go down by the ocean. Awesome.
Since you want rain you will be in heaven. Parts are true rain forest. Of course there are mosquitos but that comes with any wet area. What doesn't is coqui frogs and wild boars and lots of dogs. For some strange reason people like to tie dogs in their yards (carry pepper spray on your walks). The coqui frogs are unavoidable and I lived in the middle of a jungle area. First thing I had to do was by wireless headphones so I could hear the tv after the sun set. Up to 70 decibiles (= lawnmower). The population of frogs is rapidly moving toward Hilo, Volcano, and the ocean. It is not a cute sound and is lowering property values.
Wherever you end up, don't miss the volcanic heated ponds along the shore. I live on Oahu now but would go back just to sit in one.
Good luck.
Thanks for the information. There is always something no matter where you live. No place is perfect. However, to have to hear frogs and swat mosquitos rather than be without rain and live in triple digit weather for months on end, I would gladly. I love the ocean. I am messmerized by it. To live so far from it makes me depressed. I cannot wait to move there. I have a few more years to go, but it keeps my spirits up to know I will be there soon.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:26 AM

35 posts, read 183,540 times
Default living near water

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Thanks for the information. There is always something no matter where you live. No place is perfect. However, to have to hear frogs and swat mosquitos rather than be without rain and live in triple digit weather for months on end, I would gladly. I love the ocean. I am messmerized by it. To live so far from it makes me depressed. I cannot wait to move there. I have a few more years to go, but it keeps my spirits up to know I will be there soon.
I understand completely. I'm preparing to move to the SouthEast in Nov. Hopefully between Charleston and Savannah. Hope to land on the Inter-costal waterway. I also need to be near moving water (lakes don't qualify)
Anywhere you land in hawaii will be heaven for you. Unless you are way upcountry on some island you will be near the water. Actually I prefer to live above it an look down on the beautiful coast. There is also less salt damage and cooler air. Swimming is not much of a drive and the variety of swimming spots is amazing. Some good for surfing, some for snorkling, some baby beaches, some rocky, some sandy, the list is endless. The best book to use as a guide is Maui Revealed, Oahu Revealed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island