Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:38 AM

376 posts, read 489,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Beth View Post
I understand completely. I'm preparing to move to the SouthEast in Nov. Hopefully between Charleston and Savannah. Hope to land on the Inter-costal waterway. I also need to be near moving water (lakes don't qualify)
Anywhere you land in hawaii will be heaven for you. Unless you are way upcountry on some island you will be near the water. Actually I prefer to live above it an look down on the beautiful coast. There is also less salt damage and cooler air. Swimming is not much of a drive and the variety of swimming spots is amazing. Some good for surfing, some for snorkling, some baby beaches, some rocky, some sandy, the list is endless. The best book to use as a guide is Maui Revealed, Oahu Revealed...
Funny you should mention, I have Maui Revealed on the shelf. I will be moving to the Big Island though so need to get that version. I have been so depressed lately. It is so hot and miserable here that I cannot go outside to exercise or walk, and it is just awful. Imagine 110 with no clouds, full sun. Now imagine this for 5 months or more. I am losin it. Around this time of year, I have been dealing with this for so long, I am at wits end. I actually get borderline psycho angry about it. I wouldn't mind the warmth on the coast there as it is cool compared to here. As a matter of fact, when I go to LA or San Diego, I usually am cold-in the summertime! Imagine going from 110 to 70 in one day's time. My friends there make fun of me all the time when I have a jacket on at the beach. Remind me why you are moving away? I have family in the south-VA Beach actually. Nice, but not for me. I love the green though. It is so brown here in the desert. Mahalo for your words of wisdom and may you find your happy place, safely. Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 03:32 PM

13 posts, read 42,930 times
Default Watch for rocks from Alabama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YurtGirl View Post
Ugh, I don't miss that heat... Prescott isn't that bad at all for climate. I remember the two finger driving when visiting Phoenix though! More than anything I miss the ROCKS!!! Only lava, lava, lava here. A'a and Pahoehoe are fun, but they only go so far! Of course the other aspects go far in making up for it. They're filming Indiana Jones here next week. Lucas and Spielburg flew in the other day. Think Harrison Ford might need to rent a room? I've got a spare one... Maybe I could let him work it off in yardwork if he promises to take your advice on ways to cool off... hehe. Ok, it's late, I'm officially goofy now. Ciao.
Aloha, YurtGirl!
I am entranced by all kinds of stones. Back in 1991 I was planning a trip to
the Big Island to view to Total Eclipse of the Sun (I got to observe all of it!).
In my reading I came upon stories of people who were having bad luck that they
blamed on a curse that came down on them because they had removed rocks
from Hawaii. I thought, "Hmmm . . . If it's bad luck to take stones away
from Hawaii, maybe it would be good luck to bring rocks to Hawaii." So that's
what I do whenever I travel to the Big Island. Alabama has many different
kinds of stone. So far I have transported small samples of sandstone, marble,
granite, calcite, limestone, obsidian, quartzite, mica, slate, shale, schist, iron
ore (hematite), anthracite coal (perfect gift for Madame Pele: a rock that
burns!), basalt (yes, in the distant past there were igneous intrusions here),
gneiss, garnets (not gem quality, but nice), greenstone, migmatites, phyllites,
hornfels, conglomerates, and a few fossils (shark's teeth). Some of these I
have given to local folks, but mostly I have put them up on Kilauea along the
trails to give the geologists a thrill at seeing something besides lava rocks.
So stay alert (the world needs more lerts <g>) and maybe you will see alien
stones on the Big Island. I will be arriving at Hilo on 8/22 for a 2 week stay
and will be bringing some more rocks. I've been very lucky so far. 'Bye!

----napaunui (certifiably goofy in a good way)

Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
Aloha Hilo/Puna friends,

I've just posted some photos on the Sticky thread from my last drive into the far reaches of "lower Puna"...Part work trip, part an attempt to relax a bit and show my boyfriend a few spots he has missed in his years here. We were hoping to get to the Champagne Pond, but it got a little late and I wasn't sure I wanted to take my Jeep head to head with all the big trucks that were starting to make their way out for the day! Maybe next time...Enjoy the pics!

Old 08-18-2007, 04:57 PM

376 posts, read 489,978 times
Thanks for those pictures. They were great! It is so nice to see little nooks and crannys of places that you never see online. Mahalo.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
Default visiting Hilo

I have the opportunity to rent a house for one week in either Paradise Park or in Hawaiian Beaches. Both are very nice and each sit on the ocean. The one in Hawaiian Beaches is almost half again more expensive than Paradise Park. Is the more expensive Hawaiian Beaches worth It?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:27 PM

HPP near the beach is quite nice...Is there is some major difference between the two homes (cable tv? jacuzzi?) that would make your stay more comfortable?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM

6 posts, read 22,699 times
Default Nice to meet all of you!

Hello everyone! I was so happy to stumble on this site while trying to educate myself on the subdivisions on the east side of the Big Island. My husband and I have been to Hawaii three times (Oahu, Maui and the BI). On our last trip I fell in love! Native to the Jersey Shore, I amaze my friends with my love for the mountains. There was a feeling in Volcano that I haven't been able to replace since my return to the mainland. I'm determined to get it back!

My husband and I will be again planing a trip in December and will be looking at land in Leilanli Estates. We hope to move to the BI in a few years and I have a million questions I could certainly use help with. So I don't seem totalling ignornant, I start with just a few.

We are looking into the prepackaged homes (Big Island Packaged Homes in Hilo). Prices look very reasonable and it seems like a good idea with still living on the mainland most of the time until retirement. Does anyone have any input on these homes or this company?

I also believe I read that you must own a permitted home for a year before you can rent in Leilani Estates. I would like to get started and rent before we move permanently. We plan on adding extras (deck, loft, jacuzzi and extra bedroom). What are the odds of renting a nice home in that area? This would lead to my next question of maintenance. Are there reliable people who can upkeep and clean on somewhat of a schedule?

At the risk of appearing long winded, I'll save the 100 other questions for another time. Again, just reading everyone's threads makes me feel comfortable with my decision. Thank you all.

Bernadette

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
Aloha!
I have noticed a comradory (sp?) between some of us on the Puna, HI thread and I thought it might be nice to take that a bit further and make it into its own thread.

If you live in the Puna/Hilo area or will be or used to be, this is for you. Please introduce yourself, your situation and if you would like to keep in touch through this forum with updates about yourself and the area we love.

I live in the Phoenix area of AZ, will be moving to the Puna area in the next several years and CANNOT WAIT! For me, living so far away right now, my thoughts are that it would be nice to make friends, know what is going on in the area (as there is literally zero news coverage about ANY part of Hawaii in our news coverage here), and to share ideas. If you have any suggestions as well, go for it!

Mahalo, Julie

P.S. Oh, if you look towards the latter pages of the Puna, HI thread you will see some of the communications we have had so far.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's My Turn View Post
I also believe I read that you must own a permitted home for a year before you can rent in Leilani Estates. I would like to get started and rent before we move permanently.
You may be referring to restrictions placed on those who build with an owner-builder permit. The owner of a home built under an owner-builder permit cannot rent or sell the home for one year after the date of completion. If you will be using a licensed contractor, this restriction does not apply.

Leilani is one of my favorite areas in Puna. Good choice!

I'm going to post a couple of photos on the sticky thread that I recently took in Leilani for those who may not be familiar with the area. (Photos are up--on Pg 5 of the Sticky Thread.)

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 08-20-2007 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Add pg.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:07 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Aloha to Bernadette. I've lived in Puna off and on since 1989, and in Leilani since 1999. I can answer some of your questions about what the neighborhood is like. (I've always liked it here). cynmkolohe knows much more about R.E. and Hawaii county/ state building codes.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 22,699 times
Hello Cynmkolohe,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'm going to check out the photos now. I'll be back soon to pick everyone's brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
You may be referring to restrictions placed on those who build with an owner-builder permit. The owner of a home built under an owner-builder permit cannot rent or sell the home for one year after the date of completion. If you will be using a licensed contractor, this restriction does not apply.

Leilani is one of my favorite areas in Puna. Good choice!

I'm going to post a couple of photos on the sticky thread that I recently took in Leilani for those who may not be familiar with the area. (Photos are up--on Pg 5 of the Sticky Thread.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island