Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM

50 posts, read 204,362 times

Advertisements

Riddle me this, people of the shining K'au;
Tourists come and go, init? Some who stay become to BE the Aloha way, in their eyes when they smile. The last best place is the place you decide is the last to suffice and surprize you for every day you have left on Planet Earth. I'm reading a book entitled "The Spiritual Brain: a neuroscientist's case for the existence of the Soul" by Mario Beauregard Ph. D. & Denyse O'Leary. Of course, those of you who actually live in the B.I. probably know by now, instinctively & intuitively, that we do not exist solely of subatomic particles bouncing around in brain-jelly and that our lives' experience, Life Itself, is far, far more than "just an illusion" of evolved brain functionings.
Given THAT: Where are the Spirit places where people come together, share freely, are willing to teach/learn, to laugh with total abandon, to love selflessly? My ideal is to have an octagonal cedar/redwood home on some land, solar powered, catchment-filtered, with a composting toilet. In the center is an octagonal, raised fire cauldron of copper over lavabrick, and a copper coated funnel chimney to raise smoke up & away.
Folks with kids, guitars, poetry, tea and cakes; all come and go freely. I am also Torg White Bear, a metaphysical poet and indie film actor. I have a Master of Science degree in Education (secondary), from an inauspicious university, (Old Dominion) and a Bachellor's in English Lit. from Fairhaven College/WWU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torghaole View Post
Where are the Spirit places where people come together, share freely, are willing to teach/learn, to laugh with total abandon, to love selflessly?
Boy, I don't know. The last time I experienced such a place I was six years old. If you find it let me know.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,176 times
I found this forum tonight and have thoroughly enjoyed the wealth of information posted here! My husband and I are flying in the day after Labor Day to look at some properties in Puna,specifically oceanfront or very close to oceanfront. Since we won't be moving there for several years, can anyone give me pros and cons about buying in HPP vs Kapoho vs Kehena area? I understand that Hpp is more of a suburbia feel vs resort-like for Kehena and Kapoho. Which areas have more rain ? Which is more humid? Can you live in all three areas without airconditioning?We have spent most of our time in Kailua -Kona when we have been here to vacation over the last decade, but I have always felt a pull toward the Hilo side. Thanks for ya'll's input and valuable insights!

Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Ask for all the disclosures for Kapoho--lengthy and worth paying attention too...

I'm not saying it might not be a place where you find a great property that will meet your particular needs, but don't go in unaware of the realities of the area!

County of Hawaii: Department of Planning Kapoho Subsidence Study (http://co.hawaii.hi.us/planning/kss.html - broken link)

Old 09-01-2008, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,176 times
Cynmkohole, thanks for the Kapoho website. It helped out alot !. It's hard to get a feel for an area without spending time there , and any assistance from you and others who seem very knowleageable about Puna is very much appreciated! mahalo!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:01 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Check the lava zones as well as the wind directions. With the current vog conditions it can be hard to breathe if the wind goes the wrong directions.

How you build your house has a lot to do with if it will need air conditioning or not. The tradewinds are your friend, louver everything to let them in. Cross ventilation for every room and big (minimum three feet) eaves to shade the sides of your house to keep it cool.

Also check the price of gas versus how far Kahena and Kapoho are from any sort of supplies whatsoever.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:27 AM

29 posts, read 131,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
Boy, I don't know. The last time I experienced such a place I was six years old. If you find it let me know.
Maybe not too long ago ...

Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 AM

Lightbulb Aloha: The Spirit thereof.

The reason I posed the question about the general feel of living away from the hustle-bustle certainly is not because I have an unrealistic take on basic human nature, or that Pollyanna was my mother, of course. I, like many people, have had a cynical streak beaten into me by those who attempt to manipulate, abuse on many levels, and are selfish on so many levels: these are people who are avidly materialistic, and are in stubborn denial of Spirit.
My hope is that the Spirit of Aloha is truly alive and well in Hawai'i. My experience and practice is teaching me that we are only truly Alive & Well when we have realized that the Past can only inform us and that the Future is predictable only so far as we are actively and positively interacting with people, with all creatures great and small, and with our Mother Earth, (Gaia).
If we positively envision creative & fulfilling expectations, and then sincerely believe such conditions will event themselves, it actually will BEcome so.
This is pro-active Faith. It is also the process our brain/mind interface, (as a quasi-temporal/bio quantum computer), is engaged in when we exercise our Intuition & Imagination: we arrive IN, (not AT), a conceptual paradigm and then make a Decision to Act/Interact. Science and "religion" are not mutually exclusive. Further investigation of such matters is readily available at: http://www.megafoundation.org/
Aside from choosing a paradisical geo-location like the BI, one's Mind/Spirit location is extremely important for Quality of Life. It is easier to BE in the Eternal Moment, (to me), when one is not freezing, stuck on a freeway, being sucked dry by the Military/Industrial Complexes of the ubiquitous Mega Corporations, (in all their permutations), and then necessarily being super wary of every human you interact with, or even just see. You can only survive the Fight/Flight response constantly running in the background of your Brain so long before it ages you prematurely and leads to other health issues, et cetera. I have the scars to prove it.
So, when I posed the original question about moving there, it was in this spirit. I'd think that most people would be Living Aloha there, or they would flee back to the hype and hassle they are conditioned to believe is "Real Life".
Finally, then, how do you perceive Living Aloha in Puna/Kahoa/other BI environs? Or, on the other hand, are there those who live in little cucoon ghetto-bubbles of Sub-urpia consuming mass quantities of sugared reality whilst being sucked further into buying bigger plasma TVs and Hummers, or other such Lifestyles of the pseudo-rich and wanna-be Famous? That's my riddle, wrapped in a mystery, surrounded by an amorphous enigma; (if one must dabble in mind game jargon). I simply want to have less static whilst learning better to Be Here Now, not wish I was Back Then or When/If. Have I defined my question better, now? Be Radiant Within. Let us Shine All Together. Aloha, bre'm.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Well, there are those folks who believe the dolphins are actually alien beings of great wisdom who are here to save us. So far they haven't said save us from what, but they are either pollyanna herself or a close relative.

Hawaii, the whole state, has an entirely different set of values than the mainland. We do get the folks who come here from somewhere else who value Hummers and other odd looking cars as well as bizarre shoes and strange handbags. Generally there aren't enough of those folks around here for them to sustain their illusions about those various things. Especially when the dirty beat up truck gets over the roads their Hummer got stuck on and the folks standing next to them at the grocery store are wearing either rubber slippers or rubber boots.

You can go lala Rainbow Spirit if you like around here especially since there isn't much else for entertainment around here and it gives us something else to watch other than the cars rusting.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 AM

Default "la-la Rainbow"

That's cool, "hotzcatz". I think I already got that bit, but apparently wasn't clear enough, or put in too much detail for some people. Sorry, if that's the case.
As a matter of fact I do happen to own a beat up pick up; a First Series '55 GMC longbed, blue with black fenders. However, I've replaced the radiator, put in an alternator & electronic ignition/distributor, a well-maintained '62 235 straight six, camaro clutch, borg-warner 5 speed, custom driveline, and posi rear end.
I have observed or read about cetaceans, (dolphins/orcas), which apparently exhibit a higher level of intelligence than many homo sapiens sapiens I have observed or been confronted by.
I write metaphysical poetry and am an Indie film actor, so others with differing tastes may not be amused by my particular form of "la-la rainbow"-ness. Others have found my efforts to be worthy, however. Different strokes, and all that, eh?
To re-state it more clearly & simply, then, how do you personally describe the Aloha Spirit as you have/have not experienced it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island