Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 03:43 PM

160 posts, read 485,981 times

Advertisements

Probably a dumb question but do rats on the big island migrate?

This is the second time this year I have been SWAMPED with rats...I mean the backyard is literally moving, it lasts for 2 days and then they are gone.

I still do have the usual rat problems, but it seems twice a year, I get swamped with them. I can find no real rhyme or reason to it.
To make things worse Im a total little girl about them. My mainland upbringing kicks in, my grandmother telling me if a rat or squirrel bites me, I have to catch it to get its brain opened or get 20 rabies shots to the tummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 03:53 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Do you live where it's wet and there are lots of wild fruit trees? It's avocado and guava season around my neighborhood and there always seems to be more rats & mice at this time of year. (More food =more babies.) No need to worry about rabies, just Lepto. and Ratlung disease.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
There does seem to be a "rat year" sometimes! i've had tenants call and say "the rats are eating thru the screens!!" Set out some bait traps around your perimeter and try to keep food, pet food etc in tightly covered containers. A little dog or two would help. I have an outdoor cat and several "neighbor cats" that roam around our yard but one day, a rat was literally chasing my cat thru the yard!

Old 10-08-2010, 01:13 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Hmm, I guess it is rat season. The dog nabbed two of them in her food dish. She crunched them up and then gave them to me sort of much flatter than they started. Perhaps because it is so dry and the grasses have gone to seed as well as avocado season so there's more baby rats to go around.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 AM

160 posts, read 485,981 times
Is there anyway to poison them without killing my idiot dogs that are going to chew em?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island