Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,274 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a good meat shop on the big island, someplace that has a good variety. Any ideas? I haven't been to the place in Hilo yet, but a few folks have recommended it. and if it has meat, how bout BBQ stuff, like sauces and rubs and various woods for smoking?
also, why do so many grocery stores carry frozen chickens from California? I don't like Foster farms, is there any other choice for good chickens out
there?

any suggestions welcome, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
Feral chickens? Not Foster farms, but they're free!

Old 11-19-2010, 12:50 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
There's a meat shop in Honokaa on the road out going out towards Waipio. JJ's Meat Mart is what they were called when they were on the main street of Honokaa. Now they have more convenience store items as well. Most if not all their beef is grass fed and processed at Big Island Beef company.

We get beef and lamb from a farmer who has his processed at Kulana Foods, I could ask him if he had any more extra to sell. As for chickens, we had a commercial egg farm that went out of business a year or so ago, I don't remember that we ever had a commercial meat bird place. Del's and the other feed stores sell meat bird chicks in the spring or you can order in day old chicks from several different hatcheries from the mainland and they will mail them to you. We let the hens here hatch out a batch of eggs and since half the chicks hatched are roosters that means about half the chicks hatched are destined for the dinner table. They also taste like chicken, too, which is more than commercially raised chickens do anymore.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:02 AM

160 posts, read 486,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They also taste like chicken, too, which is more than commercially raised chickens do anymore.
LOL hotz! I did some of my chickens up a couple months ago. Funny how different they taste isn't it? Didn't know you did chickens too.

Barry- I have some waiwi wood drying right now. I'm told its fantastic for smoking meat. I honestly know nothing about smoking things. The best I have done is buying those jack daniels mesquite chips and threw em on the grill before making steaks lol! Depending on the weather it probably has another 2 weeks to go before it's ready. If youre close (not sure where you live) I could give you some if you'd like to try it.
As far as pork, I usually try to buy it from my neighbors. You can keep an eye out for pig hunting contests and such. Usually the "losing" porker meat gets sold fairly cheap.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
The culture in Hawaii isn't like the mainland so the butcher shop / bakery mentality isn't the same here. They have both here but it's not normally the same as most of us of European decent have known.

PS: Costco has some of the best meats available as a whole.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:45 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
True, it's hard to find a good bakery, especially since we lost a couple of good ones in the past several years. There is a really good baker up at the Parker School Farmer's Market on Saturdays in Waimea. He tows his bread oven there and bakes at the farmer's market. There is also a new good bakery in Waimea, but he's hard to find.

Well, if someone gives you the whole pig, that's pretty much the entire pork selection right there! Lamb is harder to find but I know some folks who raise them if you want one. Quail, chukkar and the other game birds are harder to come by.

For wood to smoke with, kiawe wood is the same as mesquite so no need to import the stuff from Texas.

Yeah, Badatta2de, we've had chickens for years. It's really hard to get good tasting really fresh eggs and chicken that tastes like chicken unless you raise it yourself. Part of being 2,500 miles away from the mainland, I guess. Lately I've been noticing the breed of chicken makes a difference as well as the age. Many of the feral chickens and most of the silkies have a gray colored skin and dark colored meat. Not my favorite eating chicken. Buff Orphingtons are a lovely meat bird. Rhode Island Red roosters are excellent eating, too! Especially since chicken soup cures crowing.

Right now, one of the rental houses in our neighborhood has become infested with fighting chickens and there seems to be a major amount of escapees. Maybe they just turn the ones they don't want anymore loose or something. One of my other neighbors has gone to war with the ones crowing under his window and is planning a rooster trap. Does anyone know if fighting chickens should be eaten? A different neighbor told me they were shot up with all sorts of steroids and stuff so they could fight better. Did you want any roosters, Barry64? They are really fresh! Still crowing counts as "fresh" doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island