Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:27 PM

23 posts, read 129,595 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a dog friendly hotel in Kona area ? Anywhere between Captian Cook and Hawi...I can't find any hotel that will take my dog. She is bearded collie just under 50 lbs and well behaved. Can anyone help me out with suggestions ? We live in Hilo and would love to go stay on the west side with our dog. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:38 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Arggg!

Oh Aloha,
I think its the Mauna Lani hotel that is dog friendly but I know that Newcountrygal knows she was taking her dog to Kona for a few days last year I will call her and ask Iʻm calling her anyway lol .

Koa

Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
I saw some people with a couple of small dogs at the Outrigger just recently. You could call the King Kam, Keauhou Outrigger Beach Hotel.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:39 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Maybe try a vacation rental? But PLEASE tell them that you want to bring a dog. I would hate to find out that someone stayed at my house with a dog and didn't ask first.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Try a posting on Craig's List, maybe someone will let you stay in their guest room?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Tried Outrigger and King Kam, no go. any more ideas? I am sure someone has stayed in Kona area with a dog ???? Thanks so much

Old 11-22-2010, 09:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Tourists, who generally stay in hotels, generally don't bring dogs with them since it has only been recently that dogs have been allowed into the state without a six month quarantine so hotels haven't had to worry about folks bringing dogs. Folks who live here generally leave their dogs at home when going to the Kona side because it is so hot for a furry beast, but generally most of the folks that I know from the Hilo side just go to Kailua to go to Costco and they don't stay in hotels. So, local folks or tourist folks with dogs are not something the hotels would have had much experience with. I don't know of a single one which would allow dogs, but I don't stay in hotels in the Kona district much, either. I know they don't let dogs in Costco or the used book store or the fabric store and by the time we've gone to all of those we are generally pretty much done with Kailua town. If you do find one, you may want to post it since folks on this forum are always taking dogs here and there.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:24 PM

I am going to be a vendor at the once monthly Kailua art fair. I am looking to stay one night there after working the fair. At this point it no longer seems to be a good idea. Seems like there is nowhere to stay with a dog. Yes, I can pay to board dog here in Hilo, but that adds to the bill and usually means 2 nights of boarding since I leave early and get back late.... oh well, thought I'd ask. Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Have you checked with B&B's? There's a whole mess of them in Capt. Cook that may be able to take dogs or know of a place that will.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Aloha and back... I was PMed and answered her but from my knowledge for other posters. There maybe a B & B that will allow dogs. Actually as I typed this I remember going into Sams Hideaway bar and a local knew of a place that would take small dogs. The only place I know that will take my border collie is Fairmount Orchid or Four Seasons on Kona side. Even my friends condo that they own- dogs aren't allowed in the facility. In Puako their is a B & B that will take small dogs but also will not take anything over 20lbs due to their cats.

Mine has either stayed in the car overnight or in most cases if not camping I take him to Bar-King dog kennel. He doesn't seem to mind going there. Gets groomed they play with him and are very nice people at reasonable prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island